Cancelling the LSAT

northwood

Re: Cancelling the December LSAT

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

just a heads up, the deadline to cancel is coming up shortly ( you have 6 calendar days from the date of the exam). For more information, as well as addresses and form- here is the link

http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/lsat-cancel ... sp#written

goodmama

Postby goodmama » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:22 pm

This just adds to my scoring woes. I finished each section having to guess on the last 3-4, and I know I got a bunch wrong before that. LG I possibly got all the 1st game right, guessed on all the Stained Glass, Conferences...fuck that, and the last One i got to with 5 min and got the first 3 right and had to guess on the last two. RC, I don't know.

I Usually PT around 158-162...

My guess Per section :cry: :cry: :cry:

LG- -11 to - 13
LR- -8 to -10
LR- -8 to -11
RC- -5 to -7

I was a no-show in OCT, and not sure If i should cancel, or wait to see my score, then kill it in June and reapply next year.....advice???

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm

If you are pting around 158-162 you wont be applying to schools who will average. If you let this stand you can take it again in June as well as October if needed and still be set for Fall 2011 apps.

cardinals03

Postby cardinals03 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Sandro777 wrote:If you are pting around 158-162 you wont be applying to schools who will average. If you let this stand you can take it again in June as well as October if needed and still be set for Fall 2011 apps.

+1 - you could be looking at a 157 - 158 depending on the curve and maybe some of those guesses were lucky enough to push the 159-160 mark...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 pm

and the value of having a reported LSAT score isn't talked about too much but should be - not only does it take pressure off you somewhat (cant do worse!) but it also can serve as a starting point to set goals or source of motivation. You will forever wonder if your cancel was higher than what you eventually ended up with because you will never know.

cardinals03

Postby cardinals03 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Sandro777 wrote:and the value of having a reported LSAT score isn't talked about too much but should be - not only does it take pressure off you somewhat (cant do worse!) but it also can serve as a starting point to set goals or source of motivation. You will forever wonder if your cancel was higher than what you eventually ended up with because you will never know.

Could not agree more. I left Oct. knowing I blew it, but decided not to cancel. I ended up with a 158 :( , but knew where my weaknesses were and how to attack them. If stained glass works out, I should be fine this time.

goodmama

Postby goodmama » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Its nice to hear positive remarks on here and not constant sarcastic comments

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm

goodmama wrote:This just adds to my scoring woes. I finished each section having to guess on the last 3-4, and I know I got a bunch wrong before that. LG I possibly got all the 1st game right, guessed on all the Stained Glass, Conferences...fuck that, and the last One i got to with 5 min and got the first 3 right and had to guess on the last two. RC, I don't know.

I Usually PT around 158-162...

My guess Per section :cry: :cry: :cry:

LG- -11 to - 13
LR- -8 to -10
LR- -8 to -11
RC- -5 to -7

I was a no-show in OCT, and not sure If i should cancel, or wait to see my score, then kill it in June and reapply next year.....advice???

If the schools you are planning on applying to dont average, keep the score as a base. Most schools outside teh top 6 dont average. You will get the section breakdown and will be able to formulate a study plan to attack those weak areas, and dominate the june test. Since you are applying next cycle, use the time now to get your letters written by professors, start outlining your personal statement and getting study materials ( powerscore trilogy, official tests, etc) make sure to do 5 section prep tests. You know what the atmosphere is like on testing day, so that will help you out as well. With this as your base- you can still sit for 2 more exams, assuming that you dont have a cancel allready ( cancels count against you, absences dont). However, you cannot be absent for any more lsat tests. hope this helps. best of luck

dchangd

Postby dchangd » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:02 pm

so if you choose not to cancel, keep your December score, and apply with it, under what scenarios will a higher February score help you?

- if wait-listed, will the higher score improve your chances?

- if accepted and offer a little money, can you use the higher score as leverage to gain more money?

- if denied, can you sort of "reapply" with the higher score?

And if admitted prior to the Feb LSAT (but you take it anyway) will your final numbers be judged on your first score or your Feb score?

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:07 pm

1) yes it can help with getting off waitlists
2) it can help with scholarships
3) No. If you are rejected, then thats the final decision for the cycle. You can always apply again next cycle
4) im sure they will take the highest number, but i am not 100% positive on that

dchangd

Postby dchangd » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:14 pm

thanks northwood for all your help. You are the man.

goodmama

Postby goodmama » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I already have both my Rec's in and my essay outlined. I am basing June on not getting the score I need for this cycle for the schools I mentioned. AKA Rutgers, UCONN, Vermont.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 pm

well then you are a head of the game. Wait and see. If you are really wanting to go , apply to VT. I think you need a mid 150's to be compeititve lsat wise- but im not sure. Or you can always apply to them anyways, and see how it plays out. worst case scenario is you get dinged, and pay the fees for nothing.

RAB

Postby RAB » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Ok, so the December test was the fourth time I have taken it. I took in Sept 09 and then Dec 09. Only scoring one point higher in december leaving me with an awful score. I do have a learning disability that really does play a factor in me scoring so poorly. When I contacted LSAC last summer they told me I would have to undergo new testing in order to request accommodations and by the time the testing would have been completed would not have made the deadline that LSAC set. So I went ahead and took the Sept exam after scoring in the high 150's ( took a testmasters course). However, obviously did not end up there, went ahead with dec, and once again was extremely disappointed. I went ahead and applied to schools and was rejected by each one. I then underwent the psychological testing and signed up for Oct and submitted my accom. request very early in the summer. I had spoken to a peer who actually ended up taking lsac to court a few years ago after she was denied and actually won and was granted her accommodations. The one thing she told me is that she always tells people not take the exam before you submit a request bc they will tell you your score is average. Well, I got my denial to request bc my sat and lsat score were in the average range and I performed well in college without accommodations, the first time I never had them in my life. My college courses were not based on timed exams, but rather projects and papers, and when I did have an exam I never felt pressured for time. I appealed their decision and so did the dr. that did my testing, however that did not change their decision. I spent the whole summer studying doing the PS bibles, and around 20 something PTs scoring in the 160's and high 150's. Then comes Sept. and I got worked up because I saw someone receiving accommodations and freaked during my first section. I thought I did well on LR, but turns out I was wrong and once again received the same score I did in Sept. 09. So I thought I would be able to improve in Dec. but really messed up one of the LR sections, I thought it would end up being my experimental, but nope. 5 min was called on the last passage of the RC section and the games section, I don't even know-- I did the first and the last game, I think I got most of the stained glass and I have no idea about the conferences.

Anyway, do I just keep the score and see what happens since I already have 3 crappy scores or do I cancel? I know I need to make this decision fast.

spets

Postby spets » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 pm

RAB wrote:Ok, so the December test was the fourth time I have taken it. I took in Sept 09 and then Dec 09. Only scoring one point higher in december leaving me with an awful score. I do have a learning disability that really does play a factor in me scoring so poorly. When I contacted LSAC last summer they told me I would have to undergo new testing in order to request accommodations and by the time the testing would have been completed would not have made the deadline that LSAC set. So I went ahead and took the Sept exam after scoring in the high 150's ( took a testmasters course). However, obviously did not end up there, went ahead with dec, and once again was extremely disappointed. I went ahead and applied to schools and was rejected by each one. I then underwent the psychological testing and signed up for Oct and submitted my accom. request very early in the summer. I had spoken to a peer who actually ended up taking lsac to court a few years ago after she was denied and actually won and was granted her accommodations. The one thing she told me is that she always tells people not take the exam before you submit a request bc they will tell you your score is average. Well, I got my denial to request bc my sat and lsat score were in the average range and I performed well in college without accommodations, the first time I never had them in my life. My college courses were not based on timed exams, but rather projects and papers, and when I did have an exam I never felt pressured for time. I appealed their decision and so did the dr. that did my testing, however that did not change their decision. I spent the whole summer studying doing the PS bibles, and around 20 something PTs scoring in the 160's and high 150's. Then comes Sept. and I got worked up because I saw someone receiving accommodations and freaked during my first section. I thought I did well on LR, but turns out I was wrong and once again received the same score I did in Sept. 09. So I thought I would be able to improve in Dec. but really messed up one of the LR sections, I thought it would end up being my experimental, but nope. 5 min was called on the last passage of the RC section and the games section, I don't even know-- I did the first and the last game, I think I got most of the stained glass and I have no idea about the conferences.

Anyway, do I just keep the score and see what happens since I already have 3 crappy scores or do I cancel? I know I need to make this decision fast.

Northwood has been giving pretty solid advice. It'll be interesting to see what he thinks in your case.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:06 am

RAB wrote:Ok, so the December test was the fourth time I have taken it. I took in Sept 09 and then Dec 09. Only scoring one point higher in december leaving me with an awful score. I do have a learning disability that really does play a factor in me scoring so poorly. When I contacted LSAC last summer they told me I would have to undergo new testing in order to request accommodations and by the time the testing would have been completed would not have made the deadline that LSAC set. So I went ahead and took the Sept exam after scoring in the high 150's ( took a testmasters course). However, obviously did not end up there, went ahead with dec, and once again was extremely disappointed. I went ahead and applied to schools and was rejected by each one. I then underwent the psychological testing and signed up for Oct and submitted my accom. request very early in the summer. I had spoken to a peer who actually ended up taking lsac to court a few years ago after she was denied and actually won and was granted her accommodations. The one thing she told me is that she always tells people not take the exam before you submit a request bc they will tell you your score is average. Well, I got my denial to request bc my sat and lsat score were in the average range and I performed well in college without accommodations, the first time I never had them in my life. My college courses were not based on timed exams, but rather projects and papers, and when I did have an exam I never felt pressured for time. I appealed their decision and so did the dr. that did my testing, however that did not change their decision. I spent the whole summer studying doing the PS bibles, and around 20 something PTs scoring in the 160's and high 150's. Then comes Sept. and I got worked up because I saw someone receiving accommodations and freaked during my first section. I thought I did well on LR, but turns out I was wrong and once again received the same score I did in Sept. 09. So I thought I would be able to improve in Dec. but really messed up one of the LR sections, I thought it would end up being my experimental, but nope. 5 min was called on the last passage of the RC section and the games section, I don't even know-- I did the first and the last game, I think I got most of the stained glass and I have no idea about the conferences.

You have prepped for over a year and taken the the test four? times and always getting the same score. I know you would like to think you can do better but come on...I guess you didn't actually say what that score is but if its near your PT scores then its really time to just suck it up and accept your score. I don't think whether or not you cancel is really going to matter...you already have three scores on your record. I am not sure what your disability is but it sounds like its not a physical one preventing you from being able to record answers and what not. I am really not a believer in accommodations for any type of "learning disability" because the test is supposed to be measuring your mental aptitude, and that includes your disability. Discounting that disability and trying to make it a non factor would just be throwing the purpose of the test out the door. Sure you "might" be able to hammer lsac enough and make them give it to you but expect to have to jump through 50 hoops (your friend had to sue them ffs) to get there.

If I were you I would just accept your score, or retake if your PTs have been significantly better, and do your best convincing on your apps in an addendum explaining why you think your LSAT score is not indicative of your ability to succeed in law school.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:11 am

While fosterp may have strong views regarding testing and disabilities which I don't have a comment on, I do agree with his/her point about the fact that you've scored the same 3 times, and if reliability and validity mean anything in this world, your new score will be exactly the same or very close to your previous scores. The individuals who improve their score by 5+ points are not a representative sample of those who take the LSAT multiple times. The majority actually get very close to the same score, LSAC spends time and money to make sure that on any given day writing any given LSAT a test taker will score in the same score band. It might just be time to accept your score as the best you can do, unless you can identify your problems and fix them, but it seems that you haven't been able to do so up until this point. As well with it being your 4th time you might as well keep it and hope for the best.

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am

I am really confused about whether or not to cancel. My Practice LSATs averaged 167-174, and were consistently 170 and above the final weeks before the test. I feel as though I did as I expected on RC and one of the Logical Reasonings (which is probobly -3 or 4 and -1 or 2 respectively). I usually finish the games section with -0, or -3, but usually thats only if I do not finish and must guess. In the case of this games section I somehow finished, but the final game I did (stained glass) required a real fast finish by doing 4 or 5 questions in 2 minutes, and was accomplished through doing a bunch of hypotheticals, for all I know the speed with which I got the answers I thought were correct prevented me from fully thinking the problem through. The other logical reasoning section I finished on time but didn't have time to check back as I usually do, it was probably -3. Everything just happened so fast, the test took me by surprise in the worst way and I was pretty much having a panic attack the whole time (which I have a history of). I'm not planning on applying this cycle, but I'm also not planning on having the time to study that I did for the past few months. Should I just tough out a possibly lower score? I have the feeling I did worse than I usually do (mostly because I felt like I was in a rush the whole time) but who knows... If I get a 166 or something like that, then come back next test with a 174 or something much better, will I stand a chance at getting into Harvard? I have a 3.97 GPA from a top university with a double major and tons of softs... I am really at a loss at what to do. ADVICE!!!!

Thank you

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Tough call. You don't sound like you did anything out of the ordinary other than had to rush, and probably felt the test day anxiety that all of us did once we tried the real thing. I wouldn't cancel, but then again I am not trying to get into harvard. I suppose things are looked at a little differently when you are aiming that high and every bit counts.

flyingatoms

Postby flyingatoms » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:37 am

My first post, sorry I'm writing a lot.

I took the June LSAT; had been scoring high 150's on PTs till I started addressing the LR issues I was having so things were looking better. I knew I'd have to retake (before even taking that test) because I was consistently doing better on my PTs & PowerScore Supplement book. I just needed more time as I got a late start in studying; week and a half before the test, had my identity stolen & lost daysssss from that which really sucked. Haven't had much luck with that LOL

Registered in Oct, was a no-show because missed cancelation deadline. So December was my last hope to at least get or break 160 (though I will say I think I can do much better than this if I had more time to study/didn't have to work full time). Anyway took the exam this past Saturday - and guess what happened about one and a half weeks before? My identity stolen - AGAIN. Once again nonsense for days, police statement, changing cards, crying, flipping out, etc. Anyway don't think things were going that badly in the 1st part before break (RC-LR-RC-LG-LR); after the break was on my 1st game when I wanted to vomit from anxiety. Second game didn't pay attention to the time, and nearly flipped out & cried when 5-min warning was called when I was still only on 3rd game. This doesn't happen to me! I usually kill games. I can take this test every week & not get tripped up...well, can't say that anymore.

History of my tests - I usually get 7-8 wrong on RC; I've gotten much better with LR but scores are all over (up, down, no real average #); LG is my strongest, usually don't get more than 1 wrong. That's always been consistent--till June (f'd up a game & panicked=screwed up the next one, got like 7-8 wrong which never happens). Thought I'd redeem myself this time. Ha! I think (no wait..I hope) that I did okay with the first 3 games even though I hear the last one was easy (I'm pissed because I hadn't looked at it till I had less than a minute left & guessed on all but 1 or 2 which is a lot for me).

I am applying for Fall admittance though I still want to take in Feb or June if I see that I can substantially increase my score (which I honestly think I could do). My question here is, if I want to take it in Feb or June if for no other reason than to see if I can pull that score up drastically - is it a good idea to take also in case I'd like to transfer if I don't get into the schools I want?? At the end of the day I want to know that I put in lots of time studying even with a full time work schedule and getting my identity stolen repeatedly (4x total since May, by the way) and was able to get the score I know I'm capable of. Also, am I correct that schools don't consider anything past December for the next Fall start?

Any thoughts? I know I wrote a lot & I apologize for that everyone! Thanks so much for reading, hope i can get some opinions.... Northwood you seem nice and your answers to others so far are helping me. Anyone else feel free to respond just please don't yell at me for the long-ass comment ;-)

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:37 am

RAB: you keep the score. Hope for the best While it sucks taht you were denied accomodiations, the fact that you scored within the same range on 3 tests is whats made them decide that. Write an addendum and have your dr write something on your behalf. Theres not much else you can do, other than wait a few years and take the test again. Spend the time working on strategies for your test issue, and get some solid work experience at a frim. Or petition another school ( your addednum should move them to allow it) and see if you can take it again. However, give yourself plenty of time to prepare. Not so much for whats on the test, but how to take it. best of luck.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:40 am

DBishops wrote:I am really confused about whether or not to cancel. My Practice LSATs averaged 167-174, and were consistently 170 and above the final weeks before the test. I feel as though I did as I expected on RC and one of the Logical Reasonings (which is probobly -3 or 4 and -1 or 2 respectively). I usually finish the games section with -0, or -3, but usually thats only if I do not finish and must guess. In the case of this games section I somehow finished, but the final game I did (stained glass) required a real fast finish by doing 4 or 5 questions in 2 minutes, and was accomplished through doing a bunch of hypotheticals, for all I know the speed with which I got the answers I thought were correct prevented me from fully thinking the problem through. The other logical reasoning section I finished on time but didn't have time to check back as I usually do, it was probably -3. Everything just happened so fast, the test took me by surprise in the worst way and I was pretty much having a panic attack the whole time (which I have a history of). I'm not planning on applying this cycle, but I'm also not planning on having the time to study that I did for the past few months. Should I just tough out a possibly lower score? I have the feeling I did worse than I usually do (mostly because I felt like I was in a rush the whole time) but who knows... If I get a 166 or something like that, then come back next test with a 174 or something much better, will I stand a chance at getting into Harvard? I have a 3.97 GPA from a top university with a double major and tons of softs... I am really at a loss at what to do. ADVICE!!!!

Thank you

Tough call. If you werent applying for Harvard- you keep it. however, it sounds as though only 4 quesdtions you guessed on. Thats not that bad. That LR- you just have to trust your gut. I would keep the score since you pt'd so high, but again, im not applying for HYS. Would you be devestated if you cant go there? If you would be- then you cancel. If you are okay with the other top 14- then you keep. Trust your prep,and your abilities. Im sure you did fine.

DBishops

Postby DBishops » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:17 am

Thanks for the quick responses, that really means and helps a lot. As for me being devastated if I were to not get into Harvard, I would not be. I just am a Type A personality and want to be at my full potential, whatever that may or may not be. I would be excited to go to any of the T14 schools for the most part, but aside from Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia, and NYU are my top choices. I am just kind of fretting over whether or not my score being averaged from say 166/174 or 172 will speak to these schools enough... I'd be ok if I got a 166 or something much lower than expected, but its mostly because I'm confident come February or June I would have the chance to score higher. I am leaning towards not canceling, however the way schools look at multiple scores seems to be really unclear...

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:40 am

flyingatoms wrote:My first post, sorry I'm writing a lot.

I took the June LSAT; had been scoring high 150's on PTs till I started addressing the LR issues I was having so things were looking better. I knew I'd have to retake (before even taking that test) because I was consistently doing better on my PTs & PowerScore Supplement book. I just needed more time as I got a late start in studying; week and a half before the test, had my identity stolen & lost daysssss from that which really sucked. Haven't had much luck with that LOL

Registered in Oct, was a no-show because missed cancelation deadline. So December was my last hope to at least get or break 160 (though I will say I think I can do much better than this if I had more time to study/didn't have to work full time). Anyway took the exam this past Saturday - and guess what happened about one and a half weeks before? My identity stolen - AGAIN. Once again nonsense for days, police statement, changing cards, crying, flipping out, etc. Anyway don't think things were going that badly in the 1st part before break (RC-LR-RC-LG-LR); after the break was on my 1st game when I wanted to vomit from anxiety. Second game didn't pay attention to the time, and nearly flipped out & cried when 5-min warning was called when I was still only on 3rd game. This doesn't happen to me! I usually kill games. I can take this test every week & not get tripped up...well, can't say that anymore.

History of my tests - I usually get 7-8 wrong on RC; I've gotten much better with LR but scores are all over (up, down, no real average #); LG is my strongest, usually don't get more than 1 wrong. That's always been consistent--till June (f'd up a game & panicked=screwed up the next one, got like 7-8 wrong which never happens). Thought I'd redeem myself this time. Ha! I think (no wait..I hope) that I did okay with the first 3 games even though I hear the last one was easy (I'm pissed because I hadn't looked at it till I had less than a minute left & guessed on all but 1 or 2 which is a lot for me).

I am applying for Fall admittance though I still want to take in Feb or June if I see that I can substantially increase my score (which I honestly think I could do). My question here is, if I want to take it in Feb or June if for no other reason than to see if I can pull that score up drastically - is it a good idea to take also in case I'd like to transfer if I don't get into the schools I want?? At the end of the day I want to know that I put in lots of time studying even with a full time work schedule and getting my identity stolen repeatedly (4x total since May, by the way) and was able to get the score I know I'm capable of. Also, am I correct that schools don't consider anything past December for the next Fall start?

Any thoughts? I know I wrote a lot & I apologize for that everyone! Thanks so much for reading, hope i can get some opinions.... Northwood you seem nice and your answers to others so far are helping me. Anyone else feel free to respond just please don't yell at me for the long-ass comment ;-)

Do you have a score allready? If you do, then cancelling is an option, if you dont, then keep the score. The reasoning behind it, is that you want to have something instead of an absence, cancel, cancel. However, its up to you. Personally, I would keep it, so you can have a good idea of where your weaknesses are. It sounds like you hvae allready done some studying. However, you did get sick, and lost concentration on half of the test. So cancelling would be a decent idea- especially if you have a score on your record allready. The feb test is the last test that admissions people will look at if you want to start in fall 2011. Dont go to lawschool thinking to transfer. You have to be in teh top 20 or better (depernds on the school, the lower ranked, the better you need to be) to have a shot. Even then, its very unpredictable, from what ive seen on the threads. Only go to a school you would be happy graduating from. If you were to re take, I would say take it in June. You need some time to get yourself together ( identity speaking), work on controlling your nerves, and practicing some more. Hope this helps! best of luck

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 am

DBishops wrote:Thanks for the quick responses, that really means and helps a lot. As for me being devastated if I were to not get into Harvard, I would not be. I just am a Type A personality and want to be at my full potential, whatever that may or may not be. I would be excited to go to any of the T14 schools for the most part, but aside from Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia, and NYU are my top choices. I am just kind of fretting over whether or not my score being averaged from say 166/174 or 172 will speak to these schools enough... I'd be ok if I got a 166 or something much lower than expected, but its mostly because I'm confident come February or June I would have the chance to score higher. I am leaning towards not canceling, however the way schools look at multiple scores seems to be really unclear...

The rule of thumb is top 6 avearge, rest dont. All of the schools do look at your scores, but they only have to report your best one. With your gpa, you would still have a shot at HYS, even if you averaged scores came out to a 172. A 166 and your gpa would give you a great chance at the rest of the top 14. It is getting rather late in the cycle, so you would have to get your applications out immediately. IF you really want to have the best shot at HYS and more money at other schools, you need to apply asap. The earlier your application is in, the better your chances are of being accepted ( but you dont need to worry about that gpa wise) and getting more money.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”