Cancelling the LSAT

northwood

Cancelling the LSAT

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:23 pm

December LSATers:
Congragulations on taking the test! You deserve a nice relaxing night. However, Im sure there are many people who will wake up tomorrow and start over thinking your performance, and will be debating cancelling or keeping the score for a while. A word of advice.
make up your mind about your performance( and if you should cancel or not) by tonight. The test and how you felt you did are still fresh in your mind, and you havent been subjected to many freak out threads. If you think you performed within your pt average, then I would say keep it. The chances of you mis bubbling are very slim. If you finished each section, and had time to check your answers, you have no worries about mis bubbling ( and if you did for some reason, once you get your score back, you can always have it hand scored- if its a mis bubble lsac will acknowledge it and correct it for a fee). You will over analyze each question/ game/ passage and will be over thinking which experimental section you had, and your performance on the non exp. sections. This will lead to a greater level of anxiety than necessary. Dont pick up any prep material- just focus on getting your applications complete and turned in. you will be fine.

Also: Many school will let ONE cancel or absence slide. Having 2 of either ( or one of each) may make you look like you are nonc ommital about the test. If you have one bad score- keep it. you can always retake ( sure it may keep you out of the top 6,depending on your ability level, but the vast majority of schools just look at your best score).

Congragulations again on your performance today. Be confident in your ability and performance, and dont worry. the worst part is over, now its time to put your credentials to work and get into the best school for you as possible!
Best of Luck! Im sure you all did great!

edit: bump for the feb lsat... read if u are paniking and want advice
Last edited by northwood on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Gentleman

Re: Cancelling the December LSAT

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:37 pm

^That's excellent advice.^

Trust how your gut felt walking out of the test, not the scary posts you will read on these forums. In Oct, my immediate post-test prediction (before logging onto TLS) was 1 point off from my actual score. But after three weeks of reading about people's reaction to the test, I was convinced I scored 10 points below my PT average. Trust your gut kids.

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I think i messed up badly on the games and i usually do good. I'm not retaking as this is my cycle

cancel, 158 so far

should I just not care and just not cancel since most schools take the higher score
or would it be better to cancel and apply like that

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:42 pm

since you have used up your 3 tests ( cancels count against you) I would keep the score. Were you prepping higher than teh 158? how do you feel you did on the other sections of the test? Did you have an experimental game section?

Also: what score do you need for your targets? With your gpa, that 158 isnt really a deal breaker for a majority of schools. you are still competitive at top 40-50 schools. Where do you want to go?

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:48 pm

my safe school is Michigan State, i had hoped ohio state or Indiana but i'm also perfectly fine with msu plus money for a year and then transfer

I was practicing higher than that around 163-165 and i thought i did good on the rest of the sections. I did better on the experimental games than the actual games

If I apply to Ohio state which I have a semi small chance at would it hurt if I get a lower score? or would cancel be better

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:50 pm

with a 158, its going to be tough at OSU. I would keep the score if you think you did better on the other sections. How bad do you think you did on the games as compared to your prep? FWIW a lot of people think they did bad on the games. Maybe the curve will reflect this and be generous

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:54 pm

yeah I figured i had a small chance at osu since LSN showed a couple people getting in last year with small numbers. Not banking on them though, I'd be happy with good money at MSU.

that's what I'm hoping and I go up at least to the 160s. I guess it won't hurt me that much if I don't cancel even if it is a lower score

sportsguy88

Postby sportsguy88 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm

How about some advice for my cancellation?

So far I have Absent, Cancel, 166.

I didn't do horribly on this test but it's unlikely I got higher than 166 (those games killed me). What should I do? Will a low 160s score hurt me that much if I already have a 166?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 pm

you dont want to have a lower score your second time around. If you are positive you did worse than your 166- cancel. How did you do in regards to the other sections? A lot of people are freaking out over their scores for no good reason other than they are reading panic threads and posts and are becoming anxious themselves.

Do you think your current score of 166 will get you into your schools? Or did you just re take to try to get more scholarship money?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:12 pm

a 166 puts you above the 90%.... You did much better than the average test taker. Be proud of that accomplishment!

sportsguy88

Postby sportsguy88 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:21 pm

northwood wrote:you dont want to have a lower score your second time around. If you are positive you did worse than your 166- cancel. How did you do in regards to the other sections? A lot of people are freaking out over their scores for no good reason other than they are reading panic threads and posts and are becoming anxious themselves.

Do you think your current score of 166 will get you into your schools? Or did you just re take to try to get more scholarship money?

I feel relatively confident about the other 3 sections. At best -5 or so and at worst -12. But on the games I'm looking at a likely -10 at least. Guessed completely on 6, another handful done very rapidly.

I want Alabama, Georgia, or Emory - and it'll definitely get me into at least one of those. I re-took for scholarships and for a better shot at Vandy, which I'll still apply to but am not very optimistic. I just don't want to screw myself out of one of those 3.

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:26 pm

how bad is it if you actually do worse?

does financial aid go down even though they say you take the higher score?

bee's vision

Postby bee's vision » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:27 pm

how bad is it if you retake and do worse?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:32 pm

its not good. It depends on how lower you did. If you are sure you did lower than your previous score, I would cancel. otherwise keep it. But cancel ONLY IF YOU ARE SURE you did lower than your previous score.

KYExtemper

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:37 pm

This test was so disheartening for me. I studied my tail end off since the October exam, but had a complete meltdown. I bubbled in to cancel before even doing the last LR section because I knew I screwed up RC, couldn't focus on LR, and the LG I found terribly frustrating (seems to be the consensus on the LG discussion). I'm going to fax in a cancellation anyway just to be sure nothing crazy happens and I end up with a really, really low score and it devastates my file forever. I PT from 159-163 consistently, but in Oct. I ate a 151 and this time I know it just fell to pieces. I just can't get my test anxiety under control and don't know what I can do about it. I really envy those on the this board who can go in and smash this thing. It just sucks to have a 4.0 and struggle like this.

Does anyone know where the cancellation form can be found? I know people have said that it's going to be on the LSAC site after the test, but I don't see it anywhere. Any help with that would be great.

poi

Postby poi » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Last edited by poi on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:02 pm

This topic freaked me out. I've never seen a definite answer on 'too many' no-shows.

I have two no-shows, one in June 2009 'cause I decided to pursue law school like a month before the test, and I realized I wasn't ready but it was beyond the cancellation date.
Second was June 2010, my appendix got infected and I had surgery to remove it on May 28th...

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:06 pm

having a medical reason for a no show is fine. If you are legitimately ill- then take a no show. Just explain it.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:07 pm

gens1tb wrote:This topic freaked me out. I've never seen a definite answer on 'too many' no-shows.

I have two no-shows, one in June 2009 'cause I decided to pursue law school like a month before the test, and I realized I wasn't ready but it was beyond the cancellation date.
Second was June 2010, my appendix got infected and I had surgery to remove it on May 28th...

You still have 3 tries. You're good!

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I am cancelling. Bombed a game - completely uncharacteristic of me. Didnt feel in control the entire time I took the exam. 1 absence, now 1 cancel. 3.92 GPA...............better luck in 7 months I guess

KYExtemper

Postby KYExtemper » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 pm

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:15 pm

thats the one

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:15 pm

northwood wrote:having a medical reason for a no show is fine. If you are legitimately ill- then take a no show. Just explain it.

I mostly meant 'cause it made me have two :c

but I guess it's understandable

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 pm

you will be fine

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:21 pm

This is my second test as I was a no show for the first. Believe I did worse than my pt average. Would canceling be ok?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”