December 2010 Initial Reactions

58932ugahoige

Re: December 2010 Initial Reactions

Postby 58932ugahoige » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:28 pm

People, it doesn't matter if the LSAT gets harder; it's about how you do in comparison to everyone else.

A harder LSAT just means more questions for the idiots to get wrong. If anything, it helps, because it's more forgiving if you brain fart on an easy one.

LawPlz

Postby LawPlz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:28 pm

w.ftw wrote:is the prep test released after the scores? i really need to look at it again to sleep comfortably

Yes, you can view it as soon as your score is released

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:FUCK a stained glass window.

Gawd.

I pwn'd the experimental games during section 3, and since I could sort of see through the page and the first page of section 4 went was FULL of text, I totally thought that it was RC. Nope. Motherfucking LG. Not enough room to write on the first game, hard-ass games 2 and 3. Just. Wow. If the curve is -14, I Maybe have a shot at 170. Otherwise, I am seriously fucked (and not in a fun way).

Goddamn you, LSAC. :cry:

And that is really the thing here, isn't it? I understand that "prep test companies" exist, and there is a ton of "accesible information" available to prospective law students. But using that as an explanation for increasing the difficulty of an exam which is already widely considered the most difficult graduate entrance exam out there, is absolute GARBAGE. Anyone who actually subscribes to that way of thinking is being ridiculously unfair.

A curve is curve for a reason, and if the scores are going up, then the curve should effectively represent that fact. The existence of prep test companies, if anything, should scream out to LSAC and law school adcomms that people are using the competitive advantages available to them, which should make them more attractive candidates, because they are putting in a ton of work for the potential benefit. They are studying and preparing properly to attain their goals.

To say that there is some sort of purpose by the LSAC to make these tests more difficult in order to compensate for "better prepared " test takers, is absolutlely crazy to me. No select group of test takers should be subject to a comically difficult test because the average score is going up. Last time I checked, YHS were not fighting over people who scored in the 160s, and several T2-T3 schools are still admitting those same people.

This is bullshit. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. You're gonna tell me I had the same opportunity to fulfill my dreams of getting into a great school that some kid in Octiber or June had, that we had the same chance at excellence, that we were both subject to the same degree of fairness, yet make me take a logic games section where the entire first page was filled with text, the 2nd and 3rd games were about as difficult as any I have seen, and you place the easiest game last? Go fuck yourself.

Go look at any past preptest. You will always find some sort of monkey wrench in a LG section, but you will never find the sort of almost intentional crap in multiple forms that we just went through.
The curve compensates for the change in difficulty. That is its purpose. It's how they ensure that 165 in June of 2007 means the same thing as a 165 in February of 2009.

Also, the point of the test is to measure your raw ability. They realize that not everyone has $1000+ lying around to take an LSAT course.

Sherrybaby

Postby Sherrybaby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Not to sound like a prick... but I kinda thought this one was way easier than June 2010.

The games were complicated, but not impossible. It would be cool to have an awesome curve though.

Waiting sucks. What will I do to pass the time between now and early January?

Drink. Starting tonight. :)

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Diiizzzzoooo wrote:

Gawd.

I pwn'd the experimental games during section 3, and since I could sort of see through the page and the first page of section 4 went was FULL of text, I totally thought that it was RC. Nope. Motherfucking LG. Not enough room to write on the first game, hard-ass games 2 and 3. Just. Wow. If the curve is -14, I Maybe have a shot at 170. Otherwise, I am seriously fucked (and not in a fun way).

And that is really the thing here, isn't it? I understand that "prep test companies" exist, and there is a ton of "accesible information" available to prospective law students. But using that as an explanation for increasing the difficulty of an exam which is already widely considered the most difficult graduate entrance exam out there, is absolute GARBAGE. Anyone who actually subscribes to that way of thinking is being ridiculously unfair.

A curve is curve for a reason, and if the scores are going up, then the curve should effectively represent that fact. The existence of prep test companies, if anything, should scream out to LSAC and law school adcomms that people are using the competitive advantages available to them, which should make them more attractive candidates, because they are putting in a ton of work for the potential benefit. They are studying and preparing properly to attain their goals.

To say that there is some sort of purpose by the LSAC to make these tests more difficult in order to compensate for "better prepared " test takers, is absolutlely crazy to me. No select group of test takers should be subject to a comically difficult test because the average score is going up. Last time I checked, YHS were not fighting over people who scored in the 160s, and several T2-T3 schools are still admitting those same people.

This is bullshit. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. You're gonna tell me I had the same opportunity to fulfill my dreams of getting into a great school that some kid in Octiber or June had, that we had the same chance at excellence, that we were both subject to the same degree of fairness, yet make me take a logic games section where the entire first page was filled with text, the 2nd and 3rd games were about as difficult as any I have seen, and you place the easiest game last? Go fuck yourself.

Go look at any past preptest. You will always find some sort of monkey wrench in a LG section, but you will never find the sort of almost intentional crap in multiple forms that we just went through.

Did you have a good therapy session hun?

granato

Postby granato » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:31 pm

bartleby wrote:Last game had the least questions. There were 23 questions total. I'm guessing 6-6-6 - (guessed on 4) -5 (guessed on 1, ran out of time) as well.

Man I hope you guys are right and glass had 6. That one and the last one I'm counting on getting -0 from. For some reason the 1st threw me for a loop, I hope it didn't have 7. For the guy that said 7 how sure are you?

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:33 pm

I just think it is such bullshit that LSAC will actually publish games where there is no room to write. Everyone knows that we test-takers NEED space to write in. What the fuck do they expect us to do???

Heidelightful

Postby Heidelightful » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Just took the test... I actually thought the LG's were pretty straight-forward (though the conference one took me forever... and I didn't get a chance to double-check any answers)... I'm kind of freaked out that everyone's saying it was one of the hardest. Maybe I missed something. Ugh.

And OH NO. I thought my first RC was the experimental, but it seems that it wasn't........... AHHH. So screwed. It was so freaking hard... and I was so happy to see the second RC come up too. Sigh.

I actually thought the second LR section was really difficult too : (. I didn't have any time left over, and I had so many I was unsure of that I wanted to check over... Both the stars question and the aliens question took me some time... There are so many others, but my mind is a blank now...........

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:33 pm

granato-

The games went 6-6-6-5 I believe.

enigma09

Postby enigma09 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

rht82688

Postby rht82688 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

i really remember the games being 6-7-5-5....i could be wrong though

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:The curve compensates for the change in difficulty. That is its purpose. It's how they ensure that 165 in June of 2007 means the same thing as a 165 in February of 2009.

Also, the point of the test is to measure your raw ability. They realize that not everyone has $1000+ lying around to take an LSAT course.

1) I was merely responding to certain people who have this theory that the test is "getting harder." My point was that if that is the case, if that is really true, hence the rest of my post.

2) It isn't the poor kid's fault that he doesn't have the money to take the course, but it also isn't the kid who has the money's fault that he doesn't either. It may be a shame, but it's reality. And this test isn't designed to measure raw ability, it's designed to measure college level logic skills. By having at least a BS being a requirment to take the exam, then the understanding is that everyone paid for/ had access to college level logic. Prep test companies don't do anything much different than that.

Cpwilson

Postby Cpwilson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

actually rht is right that was the games numbering

bball85

Postby bball85 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Just took the December LSAT, I found it pretty straightforward except for the logic games section. I normally get maximum -2 on logic games and those mistakes are usually result from misreading something. I couldn't believe how hard this logic games section was, literally each game was challenging (maybe except for the 4th). This was undoubtedly the the most difficult games section since 2000. I'm really hoping the curve is somewhere in the 14-16 range even though this is significantly higher than it is normally (I believe last December was -14 and that games section was substantially easier).

do others agree?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:36 pm

granato wrote:
bartleby wrote:Last game had the least questions. There were 23 questions total. I'm guessing 6-6-6 - (guessed on 4) -5 (guessed on 1, ran out of time) as well.

Man I hope you guys are right and glass had 6. That one and the last one I'm counting on getting -0 from. For some reason the 1st threw me for a loop, I hope it didn't have 7. For the guy that said 7 how sure are you?

I'm beginning to wonder if it was 6 - 7 - 5 - 5

I know I guessed on four in game three. I mis-diagrammed so hard on that one and made Human Resources two separate things. It was brutal.

testmachine45

Postby testmachine45 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Heidelightful wrote:Just took the test... I actually thought the LG's were pretty straight-forward (though the conference one took me forever... and I didn't get a chance to double-check any answers)... I'm kind of freaked out that everyone's saying it was one of the hardest. Maybe I missed something. Ugh.

And OH NO. I thought my first RC was the experimental, but it seems that it wasn't........... AHHH. So screwed. It was so freaking hard... and I was so happy to see the second RC come up too. Sigh.

I actually thought the second LR section was really difficult too : (. I didn't have any time left over, and I had so many I was unsure of that I wanted to check over... Both the stars question and the aliens question took me some time... There are so many others, but my mind is a blank now...........

woah woah, the second RC was the real one. where are you getting that the first RC was not experimental? that would destroy me.

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Miracle wrote:
Diiizzzzoooo wrote:

Gawd.

Did you have a good therapy session hun?

Sorry :|

Heidelightful

Postby Heidelightful » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:39 pm

testmachine45 wrote:
Heidelightful wrote:Just took the test... I actually thought the LG's were pretty straight-forward (though the conference one took me forever... and I didn't get a chance to double-check any answers)... I'm kind of freaked out that everyone's saying it was one of the hardest. Maybe I missed something. Ugh.

woah woah, the second RC was the real one. where are you getting that the first RC was not experimental? that would destroy me.

Well my second RC had the passage about bebop/jazz as well as a passage about pollution (I think)? Someone said the bebop/jazz one was the experimental one, and I'm fairly certain that that one was on my second section of RC. (Section 3, I think, to be exact, as Section 1 for me was also RC.)

gmenfan

Postby gmenfan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 pm

bartleby wrote:
granato wrote:

I know I guessed on four in game three. I mis-diagrammed so hard on that one and made Human Resources two separate things. It was brutal.

I think it was 6-7-5-5 too.

eads

Postby eads » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 pm

bartleby wrote:
granato wrote:

Clearly remember it was 6-7-5-5

rht82688

Postby rht82688 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 pm

yeah guys, i remember stained glass had 2 questions on the left column of page and 5 on the right....tough game with a whole lot of questions

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Last edited by Zeile on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:43 pm

not to beat a dead horse, but dear god, logic games were brutal. stained glass will forever be the bane of my existence. conferences too.

and I recommend LSAC move to using legal-sized paper.

stargazin

Postby stargazin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:43 pm

testmachine45 wrote:

I don't think the sections in are the same order for everyone. I had the real RC first too, but you might have had it later.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Zeile wrote:Were there really 102 questions? I thought it's always 100 or 101?

Yea
LR: 26
LR: 26
RC: 27
LG: 23

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”