December 2010 Initial Reactions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Nonok

Bronze

Re: December 2010 Initial Reactions

Post by Nonok » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:34 pm

nneal2 wrote:This was my second time to take the test, the first being June 2009. My PTs have been averaging 6-7 points higher than my score from that test. I told myself no way could I be unlucky enough to have the same horrid things happen again on this test. But they did. After 3 mind-numbing sections of LR (usually my best section, but these 3 just seem a blur of picking unsure answers) I finally got to LG, my last section. Got through the first game pretty easy even with no room to write. Took one look at stained glass and bubbled "D" for all the answers. Finished games 3 and 4...definately some guessing but overall not horrible. Went to bubble in my last answer for question 23 and realized I was bubbling for #24....went into complete panic mode when I realized I had bubbled one too many "D"s for the game I skipped. Knew I didn't have enough time to fix my answers but erased all from 14 down anyways and tried to rebubble. Barely got bubbles fixed for 3rd game, none for 4th. The proctor called time and my heart sank. I seriously fought back tears the entire writing section. :( :( :( They took the test up and I had NO time whatsoever to go back and finish bubbling. WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO EVER!!!!!! I cannot believe this test will plague my life for another 3 months and I will be applying soooo f'n late...bye bye scholarship $$$ :cry:
Wait until next cycle.

nneal2

New

Post by nneal2 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Nonok wrote:
nneal2 wrote:This was my second time to take the test, the first being June 2009. My PTs have been averaging 6-7 points higher than my score from that test. I told myself no way could I be unlucky enough to have the same horrid things happen again on this test. But they did. After 3 mind-numbing sections of LR (usually my best section, but these 3 just seem a blur of picking unsure answers) I finally got to LG, my last section. Got through the first game pretty easy even with no room to write. Took one look at stained glass and bubbled "D" for all the answers. Finished games 3 and 4...definately some guessing but overall not horrible. Went to bubble in my last answer for question 23 and realized I was bubbling for #24....went into complete panic mode when I realized I had bubbled one too many "D"s for the game I skipped. Knew I didn't have enough time to fix my answers but erased all from 14 down anyways and tried to rebubble. Barely got bubbles fixed for 3rd game, none for 4th. The proctor called time and my heart sank. I seriously fought back tears the entire writing section. :( :( :( They took the test up and I had NO time whatsoever to go back and finish bubbling. WORST POSSIBLE SCENARIO EVER!!!!!! I cannot believe this test will plague my life for another 3 months and I will be applying soooo f'n late...bye bye scholarship $$$ :cry:
Wait until next cycle.
Unfortunately I already took a year off for financial reasons. That was why I need to do better to get scholarship money. Why oh wwwwhhhhyyyyyyyy :cry: Should I even cancel since it goes toward my 3 tries anyways? I know my score has to be baaaddd but the school I want to got to doesn't average.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
ahhhh1 wrote: I think you are in great shape for URM admission. I have a friend who had significantly lower stats than you and still managed to get into Harvard last cycle and was URM as well.
3.2 is a bit low for HLS, but strange things can happen (especially with good work experience). You might not hit on the long shots, but you still have a good shot at some great schools. And who knows - maybe you'll hit a jackpot.

Just - and this is, in my opinion, great advice for all the LSAT takers who are yet to apply - take the nervous energy of "OMG WHEN WILL THIS SCORE COME HOW DID I DO???" and channel it into writing great essays. You can't change a damn thing about how you did today, so focus on what you can actually affect.Good luck.

Great advice. I have most of my essays done from waiting for October's score, but I definitely can polish some of these, especially my "Why X" essays.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:02 am

Nightrunner wrote:[...] You can't change a damn thing about how you did today, so focus on what you can actually affect.
This, most definitely. While I'm still reeling from this morning, and still have some flames to get out against LSAC, once I wake up tomorrow I'm definitely going to refocus on essays. Time to dig up the hardships.

brobrah

New

Post by brobrah » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am

Personal statement: mr wang should not buy stained glass windows because....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2011L1

New

Post by 2011L1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:06 am

ahhhh1 wrote:
2011L1 wrote:RC :? -usually my weakest section-8 those damn lichens and the last section was a rush the middle 2 were fair
LR :) -3 It felt pretty good nothing too crazy this one counted also
LR- :D exp and I knew it so I handled it like my exp -5
LG 8) -1 It was cool I did a perfect job of forecasting the game from previous tests I expected the conditionals were going to reign and looked over it last night
LR :oops: -6 I was wore down and I didn't finish last 3 questions and I was unsure about 3 questions.

so total 84 raw which gives me a 166 under Oct scale and I'm hoping this one will be similar or better. I am URM and looking to apply to Fordham, NYU, Columbia, and Yale (long shot). I am in my 30's and I have been successful in my professional career. I have a 3.2 from undergrad 12 years ago. any opinions?

I think you are in great shape for URM admission. I have a friend who had significantly lower stats than you and still managed to get into Harvard last cycle and was URM as well.

As for the test, I found the games pretty easy too. I thought more than the 2nd game, the 3rd game was harder. LR though, I agree it was long. I barely finished and didn't get to go back and check a few that I wanted to go back to. Best of luck.
Thanks so much! I've been feeling like I must be crazy because the games weren't hard, but the 2nd game was long thats it. I don't figure the scale to be more than -12

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:07 am

brobrah wrote:Personal statement: mr wang should not buy stained glass windows because....
...the age of the universe can be determined by Jewett's fiction.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:09 am

I know it's not allowed so nobody answer but I REALLY want to konw what the big deduction was on the second logic game.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:10 am

EDIT BY MODS: No, really. Don't discuss specifics.

If you have doubts as to whether it's OK, it's probably not OK.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 am

ha I appreciate the attempt but unfortunately that's not a lot of help.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 am

How was that edited? He didn't say anything!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:19 am

you cant say anything about the test. he went and made deductions, and gave a major hint at how to solve it. I didnt take the test today and knowing that info could make the game immensely easier to solve, and solve faster and more accurately.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:19 am

if that was a major hint then Grizzly Adams had a beard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:21 am

Cpwilson wrote:How was that edited? He didn't say anything!
In general, identifying questions and what kind they are (assumption on LR, ordering on LG, etc.), or discussing the methods you would use to solve them (e.g., grouping on the games) will get you banned. I appreciate the efforts to stay vague, but them's the rules, and we'd like to stay on LSAC's good side.

I don't want to derail, so if anyone has issues you can sound off here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=132921

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:23 am

fair enough. Feel bad I led that poor guy right into that one.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:27 am

aah... dont be- they posted a ton of warnings all over the place.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:30 am

I just realized all 3 of the LSATs I've taken have started with an RC section. lol ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:58 am

atresia wrote:EDIT BY MODS: No, really. Don't discuss specifics.

If you have doubts as to whether it's OK, it's probably not OK.
When I was teaching, said basically the same thing to my students when they asked what sort of topics were appropriate:

If you have to ask if something is appropriate, then it's probably not appropriate. So don't even bother to ask.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:05 am

I have to apply the same principles with hookers. If I have to ask if you have an STD, I probably shouldn't be involved...

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:09 am

I was just thinking maybe everyone here thought this LSAT was so hard because we're all stupider. Most of the people who are applying this year probably already took it in Oct or June and did well.

Who is the eit / incompetia of December TLS?

ren2011

New

Post by ren2011 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:14 am

bartleby wrote:I was just thinking maybe everyone here thought this LSAT was so hard because we're all stupider. Most of the people who are applying this year probably already took it in Oct or June and did well.

If the best test takers took it earlier, isn't that good news? There would be fewer "outliers" on the right side of the bell curve.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:32 am

bartleby wrote:I was just thinking maybe everyone here thought this LSAT was so hard because we're all stupider. Most of the people who are applying this year probably already took it in Oct or June and did well.

well I am a retake from Oct........but seeing as I am a retake, I merely strengthen [if anything] your conclusion :mrgreen:

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:35 am

Is there any school that takes the highest of your scores even if you take it three times?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:36 am

ren2011 wrote:

If the best test takers took it earlier, isn't that good news? There would be fewer "outliers" on the right side of the bell curve.
The LSAT isn't actually graded on a curve is it? They have a process to equate the difficulty of the tests.. I think.. so how others perform has no impact on where someone scores.. if I'm correct ?

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:36 am

Cpwilson wrote:Is there any school that takes the highest of your scores even if you take it three times?
basically all except the T6

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”