Atlas LG guide vs PS LG Bible

ComatoseClown

Atlas LG guide vs PS LG Bible

Postby ComatoseClown » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00 am

The Powerscore LG Bible of course has established its reputation and popularity.
There is also the Atlas LG guide, which I understand offers a different type of strategy/approach.

If you've used both books, what have you seen as the key differences between them (e.g. in how they approach/attack questions)?

granato

Re: Atlas LG guide vs PS LG Bible

Postby granato » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:13 am

The atlas guide really helped me with in/out games and pure sequencing games. Atlas recommends setting up two columns for in/out games and using arrows to illustrate the constraints. This method saves me a lot of time because all you have to do is follow the arrows. The pure sequencing method is simple, easy to learn, and efficient.

Maybe it was because I had already read the LGB and been drilling a lot, but lg's didn't really start to click until after I read the Atlas guide. Their explanations for grouping games seemed more intuitive and just "clicked" for me. They don't worry so much about categorizing exactly what type, sub-type, sub-sub-type each game is.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 am

+1 to the above poster.

I've done both. I would choose atlas over LGB in a heart beat.

LGB gives you very basic diagrams that have to be adapter I think there's 4 diagrams you'll use.

If I remember correctly, Atlas teaches you 7 methods to diagram. The ones they teach you for linear and 3d linear games are the same. Relative ordering uses the tree method you'll find on the LSAT blog. Their In Out binary diagram was a little tricky to pick up, but once you master it, it makes even the most difficult (game 3-4) Binary games 5-6 minute games. While I could finish early with LGB, around 32 minutes. I now finish my games section in around 23 (or at least I did for PT's 57-61).

I'm just a huge fan of atlas all around.

I was a june test taker and studied 4-5 times a day and had a huge anxiety attack before the test and scored 6 points below my PT average.

However, after using Atlas I've become more consistent in my tests and have raised my PT average by 4-5 points, which is huge. Before I was testing 167-169. After using atlas for 1 week my first PT back I scored a 172. My next PT's were 169,170,171.

Satisfied I took about a month off (early November until now mostly because COD: Black Ops came out). My first PT I took was a 170 followed by a 172, 173, 174, 176, and hit 174 (61 yesterday, and 172 on 60 two days ago)
Last edited by typ3 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 am

Could your new found efficiency be due to familiarization with both methods ? Most of the PowerScore Logic Games Bible students with whom I am familiar are able to PT at -0 on the LG sections.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Could your new found efficiency be due to familiarization with both methods ? Most of the PowerScore Logic Games Bible students with whom I am familiar are able to PT at -0 on the LG sections.

I don't ever seem to -0 LGs despite being done with them really quickly, for some reason I always miss one question in the 1st or second game that I miss bubble or glaze over. It is probably a combination of both methods, but they aren't drastically different. Regardless, I'll take my -1 in games since atlas helped me with LR tremendously.

LGB is sort of like algebra 1. Atlas is like Algebra 1 + a semester of geometry. It's mostly the same concepts etc, they just go a little further and show you diagrams that work better for specific types of games say binary in out, or relative ordering. I can do a relative ordering game using LGB methods, but instead of taking me 4-5 minutes, it may take me 6-7. Time is money.
Last edited by typ3 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Atlas's 3D and linear setups are golden and should be promoted as superior to LGB

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Could your new found efficiency be due to familiarization with both methods ? Most of the PowerScore Logic Games Bible students with whom I am familiar are able to PT at -0 on the LG sections.

+1 agreed.

Both are excellent and will give the user a good BASE. Once the text is finished, one will find that neither book covered everything, although both offer great tools.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”