redbull during the break, allowed? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
afc1910

New

Re: redbull during the break, allowed?

Post by afc1910 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am

Last edited by afc1910 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm

afc1910 wrote: Also, I will respectfully disagree with a poster that said 5-hour energy is better because it is sugar-free. Read this: http://lifehacker.com/5713732/combining ... centration
"Straw man" immediately popped into my head as soon as I read your post...I think I've been studying LR too much.

I didn't say that 5-Hour Energy is better because it's sugar-free. I said it may be a better choice because it contains less liquid, which minimizes the risk of needing a bathroom break before the writing sample.

Interesting article at the link you provided, though. One point not covered, however, is the fact that simple sugars (the type found in most energy drinks) metabolize very quickly when the body is pumping adrenaline--which will certainly happen during the test. This typically means that any physiological boost will be very short in duration, possibly leaving you worse off than before (commonly called "crashing").

Longhorn88

Bronze

Post by Longhorn88 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Why even bother with red bull when its so much easier to sneak in a hit of speed?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Stay away from that much caffeine, it'll cause you to crash near the end. A moderately sugary beverage may help boost your awareness on test, but again, you don't want enough to cause you to crash.

Beast15

New

Post by Beast15 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

mrtoren wrote:Stay away from that much caffeine, it'll cause you to crash near the end. A moderately sugary beverage may help boost your awareness on test, but again, you don't want enough to cause you to crash.

No offense, but this is nonsense.

Caffeine has a 5 hour half-life in a 20-something adult of average health. It takes about a half hour for 100mg of caffeine to be absorbed by a healthy individual. Therefore, if you take a regular dose (whatever you works for you) just before the test, and supplement at the break, you won't be anywhere near "crash" during the test. In fact, for many people the additional dose at the break isn't even necessary--a useful amount will still be in their system throughout the entire session.

That's not to say that you won't feel the crash at all, you'll just feel it much later in the day--after the test.

Individual results with caffeine do vary so you should experiment before you commit to a test-day regimen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Beast15 wrote:
mrtoren wrote:Stay away from that much caffeine, it'll cause you to crash near the end. A moderately sugary beverage may help boost your awareness on test, but again, you don't want enough to cause you to crash.

No offense, but this is nonsense.

Caffeine has a 5 hour half-life in a 20-something adult of average health. It takes about a half hour for 100mg of caffeine to be absorbed by a healthy individual. Therefore, if you take a regular dose (whatever you works for you) just before the test, and supplement at the break, you won't be anywhere near "crash" during the test. In fact, for many people the additional dose at the break isn't even necessary--a useful amount will still be in their system throughout the entire session.

That's not to say that you won't feel the crash at all, you'll just feel it much later in the day--after the test.

Individual results with caffeine do vary so you should experiment before you commit to a test-day regimen.
+1

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:22 pm

If they care they will probably make you leave it outside or throw it away. Heck a guy in my test center brought in a 2L bottle of Canada Dry in a plastic grocery bag and nobody cared.

That being said, even if it is unlikely to be a problem, why bring the can and take a risk? That seems dumb.

funkytown

New

Post by funkytown » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:25 pm

4 Loko ftw. But really something like fruit juice with a little sugar is probably best.

edited for spelling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”