Reading Comprehension Help!!!

*Ari*

Reading Comprehension Help!!!

Postby *Ari* » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi,

Okay. Reading comprehension is absolutely killing me. Well, games too but that's beside the point, as there isn't much that can be done there besides practicing and test #53 threw me for a loop with a condition I had not seen prior in the games. Anywho, what is everyone's strategy for RC?

I'm well aware of the Voyager RC thread and have been using it up till now. However, I have found somewhat mixed results. Anywhere from -6 to -12 (on #53).

One of my friends suggested today to start at the questions and THEN go through the passage searching for them. Has anyone else tried this with luck? She is supposedly averaging 170+ on PT's by doing this.

bartleby

Re: Reading Comprehension Help!!!

Postby bartleby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 pm

I think Voyager strategy was good for me because it made me a more active reader - but at the same time, I realized I rarely reference my notes either way.

I still mark the RC sometimes - not systematically, rather to just remain active - but what has helped me is pausing after a paragraph or a few sentences and processing what I just read, how it fits into the passage, and make a mental note about where it is...

I suck at RC so take with a grain of salt but it seems like we're in the same boat.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:05 pm

*Ari* wrote:Hi,

Okay. Reading comprehension is absolutely killing me. Well, games too but that's beside the point, as there isn't much that can be done there besides practicing and test #53 threw me for a loop with a condition I had not seen prior in the games. Anywho, what is everyone's strategy for RC?

I'm well aware of the Voyager RC thread and have been using it up till now. However, I have found somewhat mixed results. Anywhere from -6 to -12 (on #53).

One of my friends suggested today to start at the questions and THEN go through the passage searching for them. Has anyone else tried this with luck? She is supposedly averaging 170+ on PT's by doing this.

I think that being able to read the questions first, and then carry that information over onto the passage while reading the passage, would be too much information for most people to juggle, myself included. Your friend might be just really smart. But for the rest of us, I think reading the passage first is your best bet. Reading the questions first will bias you to seeking certain information, when in reality, the passage will need to be taken as a whole either way for MP questions or author's opinion/inference questions. Those answers you can't search for, they are taken from the passage in its entirety. And you'll probably have to read the questions a second time anyway, which doesn't help if you are having time issues.

A strategy that I could imagine yielding some benefits would be, quickly scanning for context reference questions that cite the line number (easy to scan for because the questions have numbers in them), and quickly jotting down what those lines are. Then when you reach the line and have read through it and the next 2-3 lines after that, you immediately go back to that question and answer it on the spot. I could see that improving accuracy a little, maybe saving a little time. But I haven't tried it and I'm not about to this close to test day.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:13 pm

RC strategy: Read each passage in under 3 minutes, just occasional underlining and boxing, less is more, and remember that most of the questions are MBT which means a few things. For one, it means that the correct answer may often be a subset of the truth, or a very mildly stated answer. Answer choices with superlative language are usually easy to rule out (though not always). Also, all the answers are right on the page. That means you really can prove all of the answers, the same as you could for a LG. But it is challenging to do so with time constraints. If you are down to two answers and you are unsure about, usually you will have two options. The one that seems to say something that you don't quite remember seeing but could be plausible, and the one that seems like a trivial detail that only 10% answers the question. Usually the trivial detail is the correct answer (unless it's a main point question).

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm

How do y'all decide which passage to do first? Take the black historians passage in October for example - long, lots of text, tons of questions. Would you do that first since you could get the most points off it, or do it last because it figures to be the most difficult?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:47 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:How do y'all decide which passage to do first? Take the black historians passage in October for example - long, lots of text, tons of questions. Would you do that first since you could get the most points off it, or do it last because it figures to be the most difficult?

If you have problems with time, I'd scan and do the problems with more questions first. Then the ones with 5 or 6 questions last. The time investment in reading is usually the same amount for each of the passages.

If you don't have time problems, just do them straight through. That will save you about 30 seconds of needlessly scanning when you know you're going to do all of them anyway.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:23 pm

It is pretty easy to spot the dense passages. I usually save them for last b/c if I fly through the first 3 in 20 min and have 15 min for the last passage, I am way more relaxed reading it.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:31 pm

I simply took the passages in the order the appeared on the test and missed a total of four RC questions (two on the last passage, one on the second, one on the third). For me, my goal when reading the passage for the first time was for general understanding and structure. Look for the big picture. How do the arguments function? Often, when I got to the questions, I would have to go back and look for the answers, but I already had a big picture view so I didn't have to look for long. I didn't make any marks in the text - it seems like a waste of time. My suggestion is just to read a lot. Things like National Geographic, Scientific American, The New Yorker and so on as well as professional journals in whatever your undergrad degree is in. It will get you used to the level of reading required.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”