Do schools care about the written section?

chalhou1

Do schools care about the written section?

Postby chalhou1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Or is it basically pointless?

Knock

Re: Do schools care about the written section?

Postby Knock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:38 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Or is it basically pointless?

It's basically pointless, but follow the rules and make a solid effort on it. I don't think adcomms would look too kindly on you if you just completely blew it off. But don't bother studying for it or worrying about it at all.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:39 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Or is it basically pointless?

In the grand scheme of things, it is extremely unimportant. however, i have read adcomm interviews that talk about how they looked at an applicants writing sample and it said something dickish like "no one reads these" and just had doodles on it. So while you should be spending all your time studying for the graded part, just do the writing sample and try to write semi-articulately.

(note: i don't know about HYS.)

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 pm

It is completely and utterly meaningless. It's at the end of one of the most draining pressure filled tests of your life. Try your hardest on it and write something reasonable, but don't stress over it at all. I believe it was Dean Pless from UIUC, and a frequent visitor of TLS who said that it won't help you or hurt you. It can kill you though if you doodle or write something off topic trying to be a smart ass. I think I finished mine in 15 minutes and it was probably complete crap, but that's fine.

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Essentially pointless, but write something coherent anyway. By chance if someone looks at it, you don't want it to bury an otherwise solid application.

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Just curious if it's kinda pointless why did they add it?

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 pm

The experimental section is more important.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:03 pm

It could be important for Yale.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:17 pm

they probably have it so that they can have another writing sample to look at in case they think you paid for someone to write your personal statement.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 am

northwood wrote:they probably have it so that they can have another writing sample to look at in case they think you paid for someone to write your personal statement.

I've been told that this is true. Assume that there's going to be one person in admissions will want to look at your writing sample.

PolarBear

Postby PolarBear » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:10 am

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:It could be important for Yale.

I agree with this poster. In one of Asha's blog posts, she wrote, "In fact, I have had several faculty members tell me that when they read files, they are not as concerned with numbers as they are with some other part of the application: some focus on the personal statement or the 250-word essay, others on the recommendations, and one even swears by the LSAT writing sample (I want to say he was joking, but I'm not actually sure). "
Source: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... ecret.aspx

Even if you aren't applying to Yale, I'd recommend taking it seriously, much like the other users have stated. It probably won't help you too much, but it can definitely hurt you if blown off.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:15 am

The written portion won't make your application but it could sure as hell ruin your chances if you blow it off.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:32 am

While not necessary at all, I think it can be useful to do one "practice" writing sample prompt if you have a half hour to spare the couple days or weeks before the test. That said, I pretty much agree with everyone else's responses.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 am

PolarBear wrote:one even swears by the LSAT writing sample (I want to say he was joking, but I'm not actually sure). "

I like that.

I've always thought that the LSAT writing sample should seriously considered whereas the personal statement should basically be ignored, rather than the other way around. The writing sample asks you to make a coherent argument about something that is easily comprehensible but unfamiliar to anyone taking the test. Sounds like an ideal format for seeing how good of a writer a person is. Personal statements allow for unlimited preparation and assistance. Of course, the personal statements let law schools pretend that they're interested in what a unique snowflake their applicants are, so you can't discount that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:30 am

What you write on TLS is more likely to have an impact than your writing sample.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 am

suspicious android wrote:
PolarBear wrote:one even swears by the LSAT writing sample (I want to say he was joking, but I'm not actually sure). "

I like that.

I've always thought that the LSAT writing sample should seriously considered whereas the personal statement should basically be ignored, rather than the other way around. The writing sample asks you to make a coherent argument about something that is easily comprehensible but unfamiliar to anyone taking the test. Sounds like an ideal format for seeing how good of a writer a person is. Personal statements allow for unlimited preparation and assistance. Of course, the personal statements let law schools pretend that they're interested in what a unique snowflake their applicants are, so you can't discount that.

It isn't often you are asked to write about something you have zero knowledge of though. Which of these two perfectly qualified witnesses do I want to testify? I have no idea so... let the bullshit commence!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 am

Draw a pony and let us know.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:39 am

This section is about as important filling out your name on the scantron form. Namely, don't leave it blank.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:58 am

Well, consider this my notice to LSAC: My essay will= BS with comma splice.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:02 am

JOThompson wrote:The written portion won't make your application but it could sure as hell ruin your chances if you blow it off.do nothing

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:50 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
JOThompson wrote:The written portion won't make your application but it could sure as hell ruin your chances if you blow it off.do nothing

Failing to write anything is certainly the worst case scenario, agreed. If the adcomm spends a second to look at the content and sees that you wrote a stillborn paragraph and then slobbered over the page, that won't bode well for the application either.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”