How i'm feeling right now.

paulshortys10

How i'm feeling right now.

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:26 pm

So i took many timed and untimed pt's(bout 35), yet i neglected the timing aspect of it. I did not improve in my timing (as i have mentioned in past post). My scores have been very inconsistent from a high of 165 to a low of 159. my scores in individual sections have also been very inconsistent. I'm scared I'm not going to be able to finish sections and have to guess on many answers. I'm scared I'll get stuck on 1 hard Logic game or 1 hard passage. Yet I'm optimistic if everything flows well, and I'm at 100% focus, i'll be able to pull it off and get above a 162. I know it's not recommended, but Imma take my final PT 61 tomorrow (friday), and continue practicing my timing today(doing many LR and RC) and doing many LG's to make sure I'm perfect on test day. I feel I can't relax at this point and need to use this time to work on this.

BTW anyone have a suggestion on how to quickly attack the new question on LG( if you take out this rule and replace it with which of the following does it make the same result).

NJcollegestudent

Re: How i'm feeling right now.

Postby NJcollegestudent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:32 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:So i took many timed and untimed pt's(bout 35), yet i neglected the timing aspect of it. I did not improve in my timing (as i have mentioned in past post). My scores have been very inconsistent from a high of 165 to a low of 159. my scores in individual sections have also been very inconsistent. I'm scared I'm not going to be able to finish sections and have to guess on many answers. I'm scared I'll get stuck on 1 hard Logic game or 1 hard passage. Yet I'm optimistic if everything flows well, and I'm at 100% focus, i'll be able to pull it off and get above a 162. I know it's not recommended, but Imma take my final PT 61 tomorrow (friday), and continue practicing my timing today(doing many LR and RC) and doing many LG's to make sure I'm perfect on test day. I feel I can't relax at this point and need to use this time to work on this.

BTW anyone have a suggestion on how to quickly attack the new question on LG( if you take out this rule and replace it with which of the following does it make the same result).

Just take deep breaths during the exam if you find a question challenging.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:36 pm

do that question last.
I find that you have to create a new diagram just for this one
I think you have to place a check or something to the rule you cant use, then write out the new rule. You then make your diagram and plug in all of the deducations that dont use the rule you cant use and work the question.

compare the original diagram with the one you just made and there you go

its time consuming, and a royal pain. But give it a try

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:So i took many timed and untimed pt's(bout 35), yet i neglected the timing aspect of it. I did not improve in my timing (as i have mentioned in past post). My scores have been very inconsistent from a high of 165 to a low of 159. my scores in individual sections have also been very inconsistent. I'm scared I'm not going to be able to finish sections and have to guess on many answers. I'm scared I'll get stuck on 1 hard Logic game or 1 hard passage. Yet I'm optimistic if everything flows well, and I'm at 100% focus, i'll be able to pull it off and get above a 162. I know it's not recommended, but Imma take my final PT 61 tomorrow (friday), and continue practicing my timing today(doing many LR and RC) and doing many LG's to make sure I'm perfect on test day. I feel I can't relax at this point and need to use this time to work on this.

thats not inconsistent bro, thats a pretty normal range, about 6 points. You know how to take this test, saturday is going to be no different, you know everything LSAC can possibly throw at you. If you hit a hard LR question skip it and come back. Also, be ready to go right off the bat, I suggest a warm up session in your car before the exam. I didn't warm up enough and my first section killed me, hence a 163 and retake, so I'm in the same boat as you on Saturday. Good luck.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:BTW anyone have a suggestion on how to quickly attack the new question on LG( if you take out this rule and replace it with which of the following does it make the same result).

quickest way to attack it, is use past hypos and see if you can rule out answer choices using the hypos. If you apply that "new rule" to a hypo and it doesn't work it can never be the answer. Usually you can get it down to 2 quickly like that. Then just make two new hypos to see which one works.

hokie

Postby hokie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm

I definitely feel you man (with regards to the nerves) but the best thing you can do is just not worry and if you do come across 1 difficult passage/LG, just skip and come back to it. Timing is something that I have been working on as well (I ran out of time on nearly all the sections in Oct) but now I am more reliant on my "instinct" than completely proving the correct answer which has helped shaved a lot of time off for me. For Octobers test, I took the day before off and watched a movie, relaxed, etc. (which I know is recommended) but I think that it was more detrimental for me. This time around, I plan on studying tomorrow as well (although not a full test) and keep my "groove" going.

With regards to the new LG question, there are several ways I have been attacking them. First off, you can generally eliminate around two that makes no sense. Then, I plug-n-play the rules to see if the outcomes are the same. It is a little more time-consuming, but you can practice to do it fairly quick (especially if you already have answers/hypo. scenarios from other problems). At worst, if you're not confident about it, skip it and come back to it. Better that you have to guess on one question than have it eat up time for several others. that you can solve easy. Not sure if my explanation really helped.....

On a side note, I just took PT 61 again as well and feel fairly confident as it was my first test breaking 170+ from a slump of 160s. However, I fear my success may have been due to my familiarity of the test so we will have to see :? .....

Anyways, just relax and try not to work up any nerves. I'm sure that you will do great on the test-good luck this Sat :wink: !

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Try to relax. Remember that there's not much you can do for yourself by cramming LSAT in the final days before the test. A bit of review can help, especially to keep your mind in LSAT mode. But remember that you've done a ton of preparing before this week and don't burn out over the next two days. Nerves are part of the prep, don't let them get ya :)

FWIW I didn't do anything the day before the test- left work for a half day (busy stressful business job) and did a light workout, ate my favorite foods, and watched a marathon of my fav tv show starting at like 4pm. The marathon worked like a charm to a) tire me out and b) distract.

Edit: How could I forget, good luck!

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Lol, my range is 12 points in the last two weeks, you're differential is half mine. That's consistent. Sounds like you can rely on landing in that range.

The new question... I had never noticed that that type was new. I see what you are saying. I usually don't do a new diagram. The three times I remember seeing it, two of the times it was something like this (making this up off the top of my head).

You have a global rule at the beginning that says something like "G and K must occur consecutively." Then you have another rule that says "H must occur at some point after K."

So you yield the rule (this is supposed to be one rule, even though it looks split up because of ascii use...):

_____
| GK |
_____
| KG |

And you get the rule

K > H

Now combine them (and sorry for the rudimentary ascii art):

_____
| GK |
_____ > H
| KG |

Now usually what I've seen is, the question will say something like "What rule could be substituted for the rule that H must occur at some point after K and still yield the same results."

And there will be an answer that refers to G occuring at some point before H, and that will be your right answer. If you tie all the pieces together at the beginning, you will quickly see that H comes after G and K and that it doesn't matter which it comes after because G and K are connected at the hips (regardless of the order).

Now PT61 had one on the last game that wasn't quite that straightforward. Q11. Here is a picture for my setup for that, which isn't very helpful by itself...

You'll notice that I put little circles around the group of N, T, and J, and around H and P. Everyone has their own little individualized notation quirks. I did this when I hit 11. P was not connected to anything in that chain because it was a random as far as that chain goes; its rule couldn't be integrated into that chain. But I wanted to show put it there anyway, because its random nature within that chain is useful to know in and of itself.

When I saw answer choice D, it was obvious immediately, because I set my chain up that way, that replacing it with D would have satisfied the conditions of the question. How do I know this quickly? I circled the N J and T group to visually remind myself that that was the rule I was seeking to replace. I saw that H and P were not connected to that chain but everything else was. Voila. That question took about 30 seconds (another note... I usually skim every answer very quickly to find the obvious one that sticks out in case there is one, rather than carefully evaluating each answer one at a time).

The key is having a strong front-loaded setup (I usually spend most of the time in the setup as opposed to the questions). There isn't any other way around it. If your setup isn't strong, you will have to diagram everything all over again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”