LSAT December, Likely 159-163 w/ my 3.83LGPA - Postpone? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Arturo

New

LSAT December, Likely 159-163 w/ my 3.83LGPA - Postpone?

Post by Arturo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:36 pm

I've been studying for 3-4 months, I've taken every preptest available (6-60) except 61 which I'm saving for tomorrow (friday) and the big day is Saturday. My question is, I'm not really improving much. My highest score on a NEW test, timed conditions was in October (164) and I haven't really been hitting past 163-164... Is it possible to peak out? I've listened to Ace LSAT lecture tapes in the beginning, bibles, etc.,

I want to know if my goals are attainable with my predicted stats. I want start a solo practice with little to no debt in Southern California so I don't have big firm aspirations.

Schools I am aiming for with 75-100% tuition scholarships:
Cali:
- Chapman
- Western State
- Cal Western
- Whittier
Outside Cali:
- Syracuse
- Any other T1/T2 (ie top 100 usnews) that would cost me less then 40,000 in tuition over 3 years

Schools I am aiming for with even half tuition (ie ~60,000 over 3 years):
- Pepperdine
- Loyola Marymount
- Any UCs (unlikely considering cali is bankrupt...)

So any input on whether I can attain these goals with a 159-lets say...161 and a 3.83GPA in Bus.Admin:Finance from a CSU, average soft factors, and some good letters of rec (one from an attorney/professor I took a class with)

I appreciate it. Thanks!

Edit: and I don't know, my health (mental and physical) is just shitty from this damn test, I'm a fit guy but I just don't feel like it anymore, I want to know if those short-term school goals are attainable or if taking the test will be a waste of an attempt. Not even sure how much I can improve.. I just want this to be over.. but I want to know if theres a chance to hit those goals.

EDIT: NOT an URM, also qualify for need-based waiver (if that means something towards my scholarship aspirations)

THANKS!
Last edited by Arturo on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Platinum

Re: LSAT December, Likely 159-163 w/ my 3.83LGPA - Postpone?

Post by 2014 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm not familiar with those schools, but do know that once you get outside of the top tier, schools take your top LSAT score pretty much 100% of the time. If you aren't aiming for schools that average, why not take it on Saturday to see how you do? If you feel really terribly about your results you can always cancel too. You already paid for the test and the schools don't care if you take it twice, so you might as well show up and experience test day conditions...

Arturo

New

Post by Arturo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:45 pm

2014 wrote:I'm not familiar with those schools, but do know that once you get outside of the top tier, schools take your top LSAT score pretty much 100% of the time. If you aren't aiming for schools that average, why not take it on Saturday to see how you do? If you feel really terribly about your results you can always cancel too. You already paid for the test and the schools don't care if you take it twice, so you might as well show up and experience test day conditions...

Thanks 2014! I feel a lot better.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I qualified for the waivers, need-based, etc.,

Maybe that will contribute to those scholarship goals? Merit + Need?

THANKS!

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:50 pm

2014 wrote:I'm not familiar with those schools, but do know that once you get outside of the top tier, schools take your top LSAT score pretty much 100% of the time. If you aren't aiming for schools that average, why not take it on Saturday to see how you do? If you feel really terribly about your results you can always cancel too. You already paid for the test and the schools don't care if you take it twice, so you might as well show up and experience test day conditions...
Also, if you have prepared adequately for 3-4 months (and it seems that you have), it seems unlikely that you will make significant gains in the next year; at this point you should be running out of material.

Arturo

New

Post by Arturo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:53 pm

luckyme wrote:
Also, if you have prepared adequately for 3-4 months (and it seems that you have), it seems unlikely that you will make significant gains in the next year; at this point you should be running out of material.
Nice avatar, your absolutely right. All I have left is a hardcopy of test 61 I'm saving for tmw.

Thanks! More input would be help RE: whether those schools/scholarships are attainable with those stats

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chalhou1

Bronze

Post by chalhou1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Do not take a prep test tmrw

irenic

New

Post by irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:36 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Do not take a prep test tmrw
+1

If anything, take that test today. Chill the hell out on Friday, go see a movie or something. Try to completely remove your mind from LSAT.

Arturo

New

Post by Arturo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:37 pm

irenic wrote:
+1

If anything, take that test today. Chill the hell out on Friday, go see a movie or something. Try to completely remove your mind from LSAT.
I've had time to see what works and I usually do best on the 2nd day of a new test taking streak (ie day off, day 1 160, day 2 162, day 3 160) its what works for me. I've heard this before though and I am one of those few who believe its good not to go in cold. Never taken the real thing though, is there a reason I would see different results on the real thing if I went in cold?

irenic

New

Post by irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Arturo wrote:
irenic wrote:
+1

I've had time to see what works and I usually do best on the 2nd day of a new test taking streak (ie day off, day 1 160, day 2 162, day 3 160) its what works for me. I've heard this before though and I am one of those few who believe its good not to go in cold. Never taken the real thing though, is there a reason I would see different results on the real thing if I went in cold?
Sounds like you know what's best for you. If you've been getting results with doing that, then I would stick with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arturo

New

Post by Arturo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:42 pm

I just took it.. I don't feel TOO bad.. Could have been better, but DEFINITELY could have been worse.

We'll see what happens.

Arturo

New

Post by Arturo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”