profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robotclubmember

Re: Help Me w Intense Retake Strategy (plz plz )

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:57 pm

profizzle wrote:Took BluePrint last june. PT Avg 168, high 173. Ended up cancelling June PT bc I couldn't figure out the 4th game. sigh* I can consistently hit -2/3 or fewer on LR without difficulty. ~-3-6 on RC. Problem is games- some of the more recent PT games have taken me for a ride--- especially advanced linear/ combo games. I can do in and out grouping games and normal grouping games w sub groups 100% accurately in < 8mins.

Thus far I've,

Read LRB 2X (erased and re did all probs)
Read LGB 3X (erased and re did all games)
Read RCB 1X (did all psgs and drills)
Took Blueprint (did all HW in prep for the June 2010 test).\
Took PTs 20-58 once

I probobally put >400 hours into this, but am willing to put in another 400+ until I either break 168 or have taken it a total of 4X and can't do it again (feb, june, and oct 2011). Applying next cycle---- MVPB or higher or bust and I'll start grinding the GMAT prep.

At this point my strategy is:

I bought 3 copies of PTs 45 - 58 on amazon (yes, it was expensive). I'll get 59 and 60 in the next month or so.
Plan = take them all three times timed as 5 section exams using LSAT proctor until I can solve every game from 2000-2010 in <8mins, and keep redoing them until I can accomplish this.

Simulateously, I plan on completing a section of games (from PTs 20-39) during my lunch hour (work a low stress public relations job FT at f100 company) and then taking 1 PT/day and analyzing the PT from the previous day before taking the new one for the day. LSAT plan should take ~20hrs/week. Plan on taking off 1 day a week. I've been going this hard before, so I know it's sustainable for me; just want some feedback on my plan.

Have 3.96 GPA from Berk ugrad, Phi Beta Kappa. Solid LORs

Wanna go harder than a shot of patron. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05YBIkJixpA

Thoughts on strategy?

tyia TLS; I'll keep you all posted on my progress and would be more than happy to help the community in return, in anyway I can. :)

TLS> Autoadmit.

First, you can buy LSAT pdf's on Cambridge LSAT's website and print them off three times (or photocopy them indefinitely). That would probably save you some $$$ ding ding ding cash money $$$.

That aside, I am of the persuasion that LSAT performance probably levels off after a certain point of time investment (probably 80 hours for most people, 200 for high-performers). Are you familiar with the law of diminishing returns? If you're going to make any improvements at this point, it's not going to be through repeating the same things you've been doing the last 400 hours. You need to really focus on your strategy and methods. Everything you've written refers to how much work you're going to do on powering through PT's... repeatedly. Didn't a famous scientist say that, to do that and expect different results is the definition of insanity?

You can't brute force your way through everything in life. You could do PT's over and over again. Or, you could take some time to really invest in understanding the theory. Perhaps you won't have enough time to go through every single PT three times over as you plan, lol. But practice without theory is really pointless (just as theory without practice is).

I do see you read the PS bibles. And you say your problem is games. Personally, I have the Atlas LSAT book (Atlas' advanced linear game method may help you, it punches PS's method in the testes), the PS Logic Games Bible, and the ACE the LSAT Logic Games book. Between these three books you will encounter some ideas you will reject, some you will accept, but they all compliment each other nicely. You should give all these books a try together. If you went through LGB 3 times over (me too), I would say, you need more supplements to their method, and a better pacing strategy. Usually at least two of the LG's in a test are easy enough that they should require no more than 6 minutes. Then when you hit a mauve dinosaur, you can have 15 minutes left over for it.

That said, I don't really think LG is your biggest enemy. -6 on RC is a a great way to kill your chances at 170+. Some tests have had -8 for 170 curves. If you get 6 points wrong on RC on a test like that, you are basically fucked out of the 170. Any section with a range of 3~6 (i.e. GUARANTEED 3 points off, as much as 6) is very detrimental to your effort. Look at Voyager's RC guide. Read denser materials on your lunch breaks instead of the PT's. Not only will you learn stuff that actually makes you smarter and is valuable to know, but it will help you more than plodding through more PT's. For realz.

I mean, shit man, if your plan is to monotonously plod through the same PT's over and over, expect to flush hundreds of hours of the prime of your youth down the toilet. You already put in 400 hours. Doing more of the same won't help you. At the end of the day, the measure of your success is your score, not the amount of hours you put in. Putting in another 400 hours sounds like a great way to drain what little personality you could have possibly retained after 400 hours of studying and yield no results.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:02 pm

$20 says OP is Asian.

Jk.

But not really, lol.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:12 pm

White, but I drink Boba and like pho FWIW lolz

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”