PT 61 LR2 #24.. stranger long term friend question

lsat_doobie

PT 61 LR2 #24.. stranger long term friend question

Postby lsat_doobie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Can someone please explain why E is the correct answer to this question? I picked C after quickly deciding between B and C, but none of the answers made any sense to me.

Also, I remember right after the October test there was speculation that one of the LR questions required people to know outside knowledge to answer one of the questions? Can anyone please let me know which one of these questions caused that big hype?

Re: PT 61 LR2 #24.. stranger long term friend question

Postby 2014 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 pm

Here's what I put on another thread. See if it makes sense for you.

2014 wrote:24 is a tricky one, I got it right on the real deal but even reading it now I have a hard time putting into words my train of thought but here's a shot.

The conclusion states:
"Most long term friends are probably of the same approximate age as each other"

The evidence given is:
"Most long term relationships begin because someone felt comfortable approaching a stranger"
and "One is likely to feel comfortable approaching a stranger if the stranger is the same age"

The flaw is that those two pieces of evidence alone are not sufficient to prove the conclusion. As E points out, consider if someone is a stranger of a totally different age. It is entirely possible that people are just as comfortable with those people if not more so, and if that is the case the conclusion is weakened significantly because we can no longer say with certainty that age mattered.

For the argument to flow with that conclusion and evidence, the 2nd piece of evidence above would have to say "only if the stranger is the same age". By not saying that, it is not commenting on those of different ages and leaving the argument vulnerable to the possibility above, hence E.

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Is E correct because the argument makes no mention of how likely it is for a person to feel comfortable approaching a stranger who is not one's approximate age? It's theoretically possible that one is even more likely to approach a stranger that is older, for example?
Last edited by lsat_doobie on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm

2014 wrote:Here's what I put on another thread. See if it makes sense for you.

2014 wrote:24 is a tricky one, I got it right on the real deal but even reading it now I have a hard time putting into words my train of thought but here's a shot.

The conclusion states:
"Most long term friends are probably of the same approximate age as each other"

The evidence given is:
"Most long term relationships begin because someone felt comfortable approaching a stranger"
and "One is likely to feel comfortable approaching a stranger if the stranger is the same age"

The flaw is that those two pieces of evidence alone are not sufficient to prove the conclusion. As E points out, consider if someone is a stranger of a totally different age. It is entirely possible that people are just as comfortable with those people if not more so, and if that is the case the conclusion is weakened significantly because we can no longer say with certainty that age mattered.

For the argument to flow with that conclusion and evidence, the 2nd piece of evidence above would have to say "only if the stranger is the same age". By not saying that, it is not commenting on those of different ages and leaving the argument vulnerable to the possibility above, hence E.

Thanks, certainly helps. It's rare and few questions like these I probably wouldn't get on the real thing. Can anyone help me out with my second question?

Postby 2014 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 pm

lsat_doobie wrote:Is E correct because the argument makes no mention of how likely it is for a person to feel comfortable approaching a stranger who is not one's approximate age? It's theoretically possible that one is even more likely to approach a stranger that is older, for example?

Exactly. It is possible that someone could feel very comfortable being approached by an older stranger. That is fully compatible with the evidence, yet would destroy the conclusion.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”