Preparation before full-length Powerscore? Thoughts on PS? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kbucklsat

New

Preparation before full-length Powerscore? Thoughts on PS?

Post by kbucklsat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:48 am

I am taking a full length Powerscore test in August and September for the October 1, 2011 exam.

Along with this class I plan on working through the 10 real LSAT books...

Is there any other prep I could do before starting the class? I can start as early as July preparing for the LSAT. I am graduating in June and will not have any commitments besides the LSAT in October. I am taking time off to solely focus on the test.

Also, any thoughts on the full-length Powerscore class? Anything they don't go over that I should do on my own?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Platinum

Re: Preparation before full-length Powerscore? Thoughts on PS?

Post by 2014 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Have you taken a diagnostic yet and do you know what your weaknesses are?

kbucklsat

New

Post by kbucklsat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:19 pm

No, I have not. I won't take one until this spring.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm

can you re schedule the powerscore class earlier? I think you might want at least a month before the test to do as many full length prep tests to solidify your plan of attack, and stregnthen your weak areas as best as possible before the actual test.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Northwood is right - in fact I would suggest more than a month between the course and the test.

The course will teach you the basics. You need a lot of PTs afterwords to get your skills honed in time for the exam.

I've never really understood why they market these courses ending right before exam day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:46 pm

They do it because more people sign up if the courses end right before exam day. Many if not most people who sign up for prep courses do it because they want structure in their preparation, and if the course gives you a month or more of free time after, their enrollment will probably go down.

Anyway, once you determine where your weaknesses are, I would in particular focus on one of two things.

If you figure out that the reading comprehension section is causing you trouble, start reading dense articles immediately and continue to do so until your test begins. The economist is always mentioned as an option. Focus on what the author's main point is and ask yourself what questions might someone ask about this article. If your problem is with LR, consider brushing up on formal logic, there are books to do so. If your problem is LG, Powerscore will help you with that, I wouldn't worry about it in advance.

I believe that if you go into the course more able to sift through dense readings faster and able to use formal logic to break down arguments, that the skills will complement what you learn in the PS class.

kbucklsat

New

Post by kbucklsat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 pm

What if I took the Powerscore class that ended Oct 1 and then studied for two extra months and take the test in December?

The only problem is, I want to apply to law schools ASAP since I heard the earlier the better.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:42 pm

I think it is best to do the powerscore course then work through it yourself before the test. I really only needed help on the LG so the course was 66% bs but it lays a foundation that you can improve upon yourself after. I would suggest doing a powerscore class over the winter/spring for the Feb or June test. That way you can push back your test to the next offering if you aren't feeling 100% without more help.

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm

kbucklsat wrote:I am taking a full length Powerscore test in August and September for the October 1, 2011 exam.

Along with this class I plan on working through the 10 real LSAT books...

Is there any other prep I could do before starting the class? I can start as early as July preparing for the LSAT. I am graduating in June and will not have any commitments besides the LSAT in October. I am taking time off to solely focus on the test.

Also, any thoughts on the full-length Powerscore class? Anything they don't go over that I should do on my own?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are Powerscore classes for the October test that start in early July and end in early September. Do they offer one in your location?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kbucklsat

New

Post by kbucklsat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. The only problem is, if I take a late winter test, when is the latest I can apply for schools the following fall? I know it depends on the school, but I would really like to go to University of Wisconsin, which is rolling admission so the sooner the better.

So far, they have not shown a class starting in early July. I still don't know if 2 weeks before the Oct 1 test date is enough time. From what they told me on the phone there should be an August/Sept class (it could be the the course you are thinking of).

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 pm

kbucklsat wrote:Thanks for the advice. The only problem is, if I take a late winter test, when is the latest I can apply for schools the following fall? I know it depends on the school, but I would really like to go to University of Wisconsin, which is rolling admission so the sooner the better.

So far, they have not shown a class starting in early July. I still don't know if 2 weeks before the Oct 1 test date is enough time. From what they told me on the phone there should be an August/Sept class (it could be the the course you are thinking of).
Almost all law schools are rolling admissions btw. Oct LSAT is pushing it a bit, but for the most part, it should be okay. Definitely heed the other posters' advice about having 1 month in between the course & actual test date. Some people can score well without that month of pure testing, but they are definitely a minority.

1 month should be enough...quite a few people do 2 tests a week for a month and are fine.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 pm

if you are going to take the test in december, be prepared to sit out the cycle and apply for the one after. That means you would be sitting out this cycle, and next cycle.

Can you take the course earlier? Say sign up for the course geared at the June testers, and do prep all summer? Its not ideal, but it may help a bit, especially if you fall behind in the homework

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:34 pm

northwood wrote:if you are going to take the test in december, be prepared to sit out the cycle and apply for the one after. That means you would be sitting out this cycle, and next cycle.

Can you take the course earlier? Say sign up for the course geared at the June testers, and do prep all summer? Its not ideal, but it may help a bit, especially if you fall behind in the homework
I think this is actually ideal. The course will get your basics down but it is typically to get people from 150's to upper 150s/ low 160's. If you roll through the bibles, the LG workbook, and any unfinished HW as well as 20+ tests you will be in great shape. I took the online course and it was nearly worthless so I could be biased but you shouldn't really count on the course to teach you more than the basics. And definitely try to take the test in June or Oct.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kbucklsat

New

Post by kbucklsat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:49 am

I just want to make sure I have my options correct:

*Take a course geared for the June test, study all summer, take Oct LSAT and apply for the following fall 2012.

*Take a course geared for the October test, study for two months, take the Dec LSAT and apply for fall 2013.

I am not the best standarized test taker so I do want to make sure I have enough time to prepare. I also want to make sure if I take the Powerscore class early that it will still be fresh in my mind when I take the test. Are their books helpful to review the class?

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!! I really appreciate it.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:04 am

kbucklsat wrote: I am not the best standarized test taker so I do want to make sure I have enough time to prepare. I also want to make sure if I take the Powerscore class early that it will still be fresh in my mind when I take the test. Are their books helpful to review the class?
You'll refer back to the books sometimes, and the books are good. However, you'll be doing lots of PTs so you'll be practicing what you were taught every other day - that should keep it fresh.

Essentially what you do after the course is take a full PT. Then you review it. For any answer that you got that wasn't immediately clear, review your course books and work out why the correct answer was correct and the wrong answers were not.

When I was doing them, I'd make a little mark in the book for any question I couldn't immediately see what the correct answer was. Obviously you also review - perhaps even more thoroughly - any questions that you thought were easy but which you get wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”