Last Minute LSAT Prep Crisis-Please tell me its just a fluke

emjay

Last Minute LSAT Prep Crisis-Please tell me its just a fluke

Postby emjay » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 am

Took the October LSAT after PT-ing in the low 170s, got a 167.

So I decided to retake...

Been scoring a 170-177 on PTs (average 172). Now, I should say I ran out of PTs when studying for the retake, so I was actually retaking PTs that I originally took back in February-March 2010.

The only PT that was totally new to me was PT61, which I had never seen because I took an undisclosed test in October. My score reverted back to what it was months ago and lower than my Oct LSAT. 165.

Now I'm freaking out, got a -12 on LR (usually get -2 to -5), -3 on LG (usually -0) and -4 on RC (about same as usual).

Should I take an absence for this week's test? I really don't want to score lower than I had the first time and I am just worried, any advice, anecdotal or otherwise, would be really appreciated. Thanks

hokie

Re: Last Minute LSAT Prep Crisis-Please tell me its just a fluke

Postby hokie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 am

don't worry; if you have been PTing consistently in the 170s, then I would constitute it as a fluke and move on. Judging by this thread, I would attribute the fluke to nerves and/or possibly burning out (if you have been constantly studying day after day). Take it easy until test day and don't worry so much :wink:

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 am

emjay wrote:Took the October LSAT after PT-ing in the low 170s, got a 167.

Been scoring a 170-177 on PTs (average 172). Now, I should say I ran out of PTs when studying for the retake, so I was actually retaking PTs that I originally took back in February-March 2010.

The only PT that was totally new to me was PT61, which I had never seen because I took an undisclosed test in October. My score reverted back to what it was months ago and lower than my Oct LSAT. 165.

Now I'm freaking out, got a -12 on LR (usually get -2 to -5), -3 on LG (usually -0) and -4 on RC (about same as usual).

Should I take an absence for this week's test? I really don't want to score lower than I had the first time and I am just worried, any advice, anecdotal or otherwise, would be really appreciated. Thanks

I had a similar situation. Freaked the heck out of me, but on test day, I performed fine. Calm down - the biggest difficulty for me (and likely for you) was convincing myself that I still had some sense of control over my score. Don't lose hope, and just take the Dec 2010 test with lots of focus.
Last edited by glewz on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:19 am

I posted a similar thread yesterday about a similar crisis that I had with PT61. I also took a nondisclosed test in October, and PT61 was one of the only few fresh tests for me. All the rest are retakes, and I was scoring really high for those. But PT61 brought me back to my original score in October. I was really discouraged after that, but upon reviewing the test I found that quite a few mistakes could actually be avoided with a little more attention (especially LR, I think I misunderstood quite a few stimulus). So at least I try to tell myself that it's not the method of attacking the questions that went wrong. (but RC for me was another story - I geninuely did not get the last passage during the test!)

I would not recommend cancelling the test next week. For me the LSAT is partially dependant on luck so if I could get the 'right' set of questions I could potentially do much better. Let's hope for the best!!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:31 am

my test scores started going down. People were like burn out. I was like w/e. But then I stopped for a week. Took the test again- bam right back up.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:33 am

xqhp82 wrote:I would not recommend cancelling the test next week. For me the LSAT is partially dependant on luck so if I could get the 'right' set of questions I could potentially do much better. Let's hope for the best!!

This much is true! And the way you feel and your attitude on test day make all the difference. You already got a 167 and you've been PTing in the 170s so you've obviously prepped. Think of it as a fluke, don't let it get to you. And do this - the whole day before (and on the day of) just keep thinking to yourself how you're going to rock the LSAT and make it your b****!

Good luck!

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 am

calvmpv wrote:
xqhp82 wrote:I would not recommend cancelling the test next week. For me the LSAT is partially dependant on luck so if I could get the 'right' set of questions I could potentially do much better. Let's hope for the best!!

This much is true! And the way you feel and your attitude on test day make all the difference. You already got a 167 and you've been PTing in the 170s so you've obviously prepped. Think of it as a fluke, don't let it get to you. And do this - the whole day before (and on the day of) just keep thinking to yourself how you're going to rock the LSAT and make it your b****!

Good luck!

Yeah, that's really how I feel about the question set, I know many people think that as long as you have the skills, it shouldn't make any difference whatever the questions throw at you. But what I felt from the October test is that I got very tricky LR questions in #1-10 so I was immediately put off. I was debating to myself whether to retake the test, because I know that with little prep time I won't be able to improve much, but I thought, why not give my luck a little more faith, and hope that it will bring just 3 more easy questions and a whole new world?

That's said, I'm also very nervous at the same time lol. Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best:)

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:14 am

perhaps you scored lower than your previous tests because you allready took a similar version of the test in october, and knew you underperformed- put more stress on yourself, and nerves got to you.

I would chalk this one up as an outlier. You allready sat for a version of pt 61, then you took another version of pt 61. Forget about this test and move on. You have it in you to get a 170+. Im sure on saturday you will do just fine ( and beat your october score)

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:00 am

glewz wrote:
emjay wrote:Took the October LSAT after PT-ing in the low 170s, got a 167.

I had a similar situation 2 days before the test.

Was taking 1 test every other day: 4 days before my test this past October, I scored 176. 6 days prior, i also scored a 176, and before that, my range was from 172 to 178. But 2 days before test day, I got a 166 (June 2010 exam).

Freaked the heck out of me, but on test day, I performed fine. Calm down - the biggest difficulty for me (and likely for you) was convincing myself that I still had some sense of control over my score. Don't lose hope, and just take the Dec 2010 test with lots of focus.

June 2010 just ripped me a new asshole. And now I am in your exact same boat going into Saturday.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 am

June 2010's LG section is the ugliest bitch I have ever seen. Just like December 2009's RC.

And PT 61's LR.

Now that LSAC has turned each section into a beast once, what's going to happen next?

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:16 am

niederbomb wrote:June 2010's LG section is the ugliest bitch I have ever seen. Just like December 2009's RC.

And PT 61's LR.

Now that LSAC has turned each section into a beast once, what's going to happen next?

Rule #23b - Test takers must slit their wrists before beginning the exam. Any person who fails to finish all 6 sections will receive a zero on the exam with no chance of cancellation.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 am

gambelda wrote:
niederbomb wrote:June 2010's LG section is the ugliest bitch I have ever seen. Just like December 2009's RC.

And PT 61's LR.

Rule #23b - Test takers must slit their wrists before beginning the exam. Any person who fails to finish all 6 sections will receive a zero on the exam with no chance of cancellation.

Pretty sure most of the wrist slitting takes place three weeks after the exam. :lol:

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 am

I'm exactly the same as you OP! Average over my last 15 PTs is like 172.8. Scored 167 on Wednesday.

Just take the test. It's more luck and nerves than anything. Get in the right mindset and dominate.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”