LAST Curve

w.ftw

LAST Curve

Postby w.ftw » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:40 am

I know the LSAT curve is discussed often on this forum.

I wanted to know if anyone has seen this curve table http://www.alpha-score.com/resources/ls ... onversion/

It seems to easy for some reason, especially from 155-165. Most of the PTs I have taken are 74-76 for 160 but this shows 70-71, which is considerably different than anything I have taken.

Is this curve pretty accurate to what the upcoming test will look like?

Thanks!

Pleasye

Re: LAST Curve

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:17 am

That article has a very generous curve (-14 for a 170) that hadn't been seen in a while. The last (?) December test was a -14 and it was a huge surprise to pretty much everyone. The last two tests (June and October) had -12 curves which has been more of the trend lately (-11 and -12). The curve for a 160 seems really really off. HTH but maybe someone else has more insight into this.

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:22 am

All I can tell you is I got +87 on the October test and that came out to a 168. The page you linked to says my +87 should be a 171. So, no, it does not really indicate what your curve will be. Every new LSAT has a different curve, it is impossible to predict exactly what it will be. Just hope for the best.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 am

I think it's human nature to do so, but the curve is not a helpful thing to focus on.

As we know, a generous curve simply means a statistically more challenging test. While some folk will win out of this - say two or three more challenging questions happen to match the test taker's strengths - some will lose, where the extra difficulty is in their weakest areas and over the whole population, there should be no statistical difference. That's the whole point of equating after all.

While the curve they show may have been accurate for an earlier test, 93 correct in October was worth 173, not 176. That would indicate October's test was statistically easier than their test.

Also, it's difficult to compare curves against much older tests. Given the growth in prep firms, it's possible that many more test takers are now better prepared through courses and internet resources than they would have been say 5+ years ago. If the body of test takers are better prepared, tests will become more difficult to accommodate this. So, -10 could be worth 170 in 2005 and in 2010 but the 2010 test could be more difficult to reflect better prepared test takers.

w.ftw

Postby w.ftw » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks guys.

I know the curve is out of your hand and if it's easier it means the test was harder. However, it's still fun to play around with the numbers in your head.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”