Ensuring that you don't get sick these next couple days?

chalhou1

Ensuring that you don't get sick these next couple days?

Postby chalhou1 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Told my gf that I won't be kissing her the next week and taught my dog how to pee in the tub so i don't have to go outside. Should I cover any other bases?

bartleby

Re: Ensuring that you don't get sick these next couple days?

Postby bartleby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 am

B12 shot? Should cost you about 30 bucks and 3 hours of waiting at the Dr's office...

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 am

bartleby wrote:B12 shot? Should cost you about 30 bucks and 3 hours of waiting at the Dr's office...

Where he would get sick before he even got the shot from being surrounded by flu ridden people.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 am

Good point.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 am

Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, and do not eat out.

superhands

Postby superhands » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 am

I plan to make out with a toothless drifter tomorrow.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:48 am

chalhou1 wrote:taught my dog how to pee in the tub so i don't have to go outside.

Your dog needs to go out for other reasons besides peeing. Get someone else to take him out if you are so paranoid that you won't go outside.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:50 am

chalhou1 wrote:Told my gf that I won't be kissing her the next week and taught my dog how to pee in the tub so i don't have to go outside. Should I cover any other bases?

Sleep well, and drink tons of orange juice. Avoid excessive caffeine and the like. Of course, the coffee may not be as directly tied to your health as other factors, but if you're feeling off at all to begin with, don't mess around with your system.

postn0bills

Postby postn0bills » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:44 pm

I've been taking a healthy dose of vitamins B12, C, and zinc every day. I live in NYC so I can catch anything at anytime. I hope it works!

Good luck!

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Just because things are correlated does not mean they are causally related. Contrary to popular belief, cold does not make people sick. People stay inside in the winter more which means more people together more often in a closed environment. This is the reason for escalations in numbers of illnesses in the winter season.

In other words, walk your dog....avoid people.

Man.....I am going to KILL this thing on Saturday :)

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:35 pm

vitamins, thorough hand washing, isolation

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm

gambelda wrote:Just because things are correlated does not mean they are causally related. Contrary to popular belief, cold does not make people sick. People stay inside in the winter more which means more people together more often in a closed environment. This is the reason for escalations in numbers of illnesses in the winter season.

Is this true? Being cold doesn't weaken your immune system at all?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:40 pm

bartleby wrote:Is this true? Being cold doesn't weaken your immune system at all?

From what I've heard yes. Being cold is not going to make you sick (except for the possibility of hypothermia, but that's being freezing not cold).

hokie

Postby hokie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:40 pm

chalhou1 wrote:Told my gf that I won't be kissing her the next week and taught my dog how to pee in the tubso i don't have to go outside. Should I cover any other bases?

lol at the bolded; the precautions we take for the LSAT. I have been washing my hands constantly, sleeping early, and took some vacations days from work so I would have some time to relax/study.

On a side note, if by tub you mean your bathtub, I cannot imagine that that is entirely sanitary and quite possibly even detrimental to your health when you take showers :lol: ......

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:41 pm

hokie wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:Told my gf that I won't be kissing her the next week and taught my dog how to pee in the tubso i don't have to go outside. Should I cover any other bases?

lol at the bolded; the precautions we take for the LSAT. I have been washing my hands constantly, sleeping early, and took some vacations days from work so I would have some time to relax/study.

On a side note, if by tub you mean your bathtub, I cannot imagine that that is entirely sanitary and quite possibly even detrimental to your health when you take showers :lol: ......

Exactly. Dogs also have to take shits and need exercise.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Exercise helps prevent illness. B12 does, but I recommend against B12 supplements. Even if the supplement says it is packed with something insane like, 5000% RDI of B12, the absorption rate is very low for certain minerals. For B12, the absorption rate is below 5% of the amount actually in the pill, the remainder is pissed out. Not to say that 5% of a huge amount isn't nice, but still, consumption of a nutrient does not equal absorption. B12 is best taken as sublingually as a spray or lozenge, or as a subcutaneous injection. Because B12 is water-based you can use a 31G insulin needle to administer injections which are virtually painless.

I give myself B12 shots periodically. At least weekly during cold/flu season. I favor this to sublingual administration because I feel that absorption is probably marginally improved, and it's cheaper this way as well (a 30 CC vial can be purchased online for about $20, which is a ton of B12 really). But sublingual works well also. I also eat zinc lozenges daily during cold season just to be safe. Proper nutrition, hydration, and exercise, plus the occasional fortifications of B12 and zinc yields pretty strong results for the immune system. I haven't been sick in at least three years.

chalhou1

Postby chalhou1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:23 pm

lol I wasn't actually srs about the comment with my dog. I care too mmuch about him to do that

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 pm

chalhou1 wrote:lol I wasn't actually srs about the comment with my dog. I care too mmuch about him to do that

So glad to hear that <3

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:09 pm

gambelda wrote:Just because things are correlated does not mean they are causally related. Contrary to popular belief, cold does not make people sick. People stay inside in the winter more which means more people together more often in a closed environment. This is the reason for escalations in numbers of illnesses in the winter season.

the temperature also helps w/ certain strains of viruses to survive; that being said, other people being sick during winter also means they touch more things and leave their germs there. so id amend your statement also say, "avoid people...and dont touch anything outside of your room" lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”