Just got a job offer for Dec 10.. should I take it?

lsat_doobie

Just got a job offer for Dec 10.. should I take it?

Postby lsat_doobie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:03 pm

I just got a pretty decent job offer for Dec 10. I'm scheduled to arrive 830am on Friday and train for 8 hours. But I'm writing the LSAT the very next day. I was hoping to rest and and take it very easy on the Friday, but now with this training I can't get out of it if I want the job. Does anyone think that working an 8 hour shift the day before the LSAT is a good idea? Maybe this won't be too bad? It might distract me from over thinking the test too much and all the stress that comes with it. It may also tire me out, and if I don't get much sleep on Friday then it would make me extra tired then if I just relaxed the whole day and still didn't get much sleep. What does everyone think? I was debating if I should even take up this job offer as I have a job at the moment (which has given me the week off). The new job pays only slightly more, but the hours are not as stable as the one I currently have. I should also mention that the training for the new job won't be physically demanding or anything, although I'm sure I'll be pretty tired from it. I've taken this whole week off work (except I'm scheduled to work tomorrow with my current job). I find myself extremely bored at home all day, just streaming tv shows and movies, doing exercises, eating, stressing out.

Re: Just got a job offer for Dec 10.. should I take it?

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

If it is a good job then you can manage. Just get to bed plenty early for the rest of the week and that night.

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:49 pm

I've already embraced the fact that I won't get any sleep the night before. I haven't been able to sleep in my past LSAT sitting, and I don't think this will be different. I'm a very stressful person.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey, you'll be doing something completely unrelated to the LSAT, and that's what matters most. Shouldn't be a big deal. You aren't required to not use your brain the day before the test.

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks, you've got a good point. I think the distraction will do me good. My only concern is that I have to wake up really early on Friday. If I don't get a good nights sleep on Thursday night then I'm pretty screwed. Maybe I should take a sleeping pill for Thursday?

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:45 pm

You may be groggy on Friday, but maybe that will help to beat you into falling asleep early on Friday night. Whenever I had big tests in college, I'd take stimulants early the day before so that I would crash that night so I would be fully rested. I didn't use sleeping pills because they make me groggy the next day. So does melatonin. Crashing never harmed me though. Don't try that unless you are pretty familiar with how that would work for you, as in, you've tried it before.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:48 pm

robotclubmember wrote:You may be groggy on Friday, but maybe that will help to beat you into falling asleep early on Friday night. Whenever I had big tests in college, I'd take stimulants early the day before so that I would crash that night so I would be fully rested. I didn't use sleeping pills because they make me groggy the next day. So does melatonin. Crashing never harmed me though. Don't try that unless you are pretty familiar with how that would work for you, as in, you've tried it before.

I should point out that only 20% of humans taking melatonin supplements are adversely affected by it the next day. My comments are speculation at best. Everyone's body is different. You know the answer better than any of us do.

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I've decided not to use any sleeping pills on Friday night. Even if I get no sleep, I think I'll be better off then if I take sleeping pills and slept a bit. The trick is to sleep really well all week so you're well rested, and just have faith in how much adrenaline you'll have on test day. Still, I was thinking of taking something on Thursday. Thursday is probably the best day to get good sleep this week, since your mental sharpness each day heavily relies on how well you slept two nights in advance. If I don't get good sleep on Thursday, work all day Friday, then don't get much sleep on Friday, I'll probably be screwed.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:53 pm

First off, congrats on the new job! Secondly, the first day of a job usually isn't too intense, so I'd bet that the distraction will be welcomed. And you'll be making some $! Good luck with both your first day at the job and more importantly the LSAT :)

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:15 pm

lsat_doobie wrote:Does anyone think that working an 8 hour shift the day before the LSAT is a good idea?

lol plenty of us work full time and study for/sit the LSAT. Pretty much not a big deal at all.

theskippa10

Postby theskippa10 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Here is what I would do. Buy a bottle of nyquil. use it tonight and tommorow to see how it affects you. If you do ok with it, go to the training, come home, nyquil right away after you eat (well depending on how early early is for you, for some reason i feel you mean like 3 or 4 am)

Although tylenol Pm is a good choice too, but for people who are resistant to it, it doesnt work as well as nyquil.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:42 pm

I worked the day before the test. It was a great way to get my mind totally off the lsat, and was a nice change of pace. With your first day, you will be busy doing HR stuff and getting to know the place and your co-workers. Congrats on the job! Best of luck on Friday and Saturday ( Now you will have 2 reasons to go celebrate Saturday night!)

theskippa10

Postby theskippa10 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:04 pm

lsat_doobie wrote:I've decided not to use any sleeping pills on Friday night. Even if I get no sleep, I think I'll be better off then if I take sleeping pills and slept a bit. The trick is to sleep really well all week so you're well rested, and just have faith in how much adrenaline you'll have on test day. Still, I was thinking of taking something on Thursday. Thursday is probably the best day to get good sleep this week, since your mental sharpness each day heavily relies on how well you slept two nights in advance. If I don't get good sleep on Thursday, work all day Friday, then don't get much sleep on Friday, I'll probably be screwed.

Honestly, I think that's a terrible idea. If you are reasonably sure you'll get some sleep ie 6ish hours, go for it, but if you really think there is a possibility you will get no sleep I think you are setting yourself up for failure.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”