How do you make sense of RC answer choices

itstime

How do you make sense of RC answer choices

Postby itstime » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I took the October test and missed 6 but I am doing horrible now missing 10+ every time.

I read the passage clearly understanding whats going on but when I get to the questions and answer choices I am having trouble translating it into something I can understand.

Any advice?

Thanks

Nonok

Re: How do you make sense of RC answer choices

Postby Nonok » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm

The atlas RC book would help you a lot. They go through a number of passages and a full section telling you their logic behind each incorrect answer choice. Are you taking it Saturday?

itstime

Postby itstime » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Yes :(

I took the powerscore course and have all there books. They rarely mentioned reading comp as far as I am concerned just describing their notation methods but I am now in the process of watching every one of their online module videos that talk about it

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 am

PT 60 and 61 RC are easy compared to other recent RC.

Your problem could be the fact that modern RC questions don't have a correct answer. They have 5 wrong answers, and one answer that is a little less wrong. In the Manhattan guide, it says "Average students immediately start looking for the right answer; a 170+ scorer starts by eliminating wrong answers." This has helped me a lot.

Usually, on the most difficult questions, you have 3 clearly wrong answers and 2 answers that look approximately equal; occasionally, you have 3 contenders.

Once you have 2, look for subtle differences between them, and compare them to the passage, picking the one that is the least wrong.

I'd suggest, if you're short on time, try this strategy out on the PT 56 passage about French women's education, even if you've done it before. It's passage 4, I think. Pay special attention to the analogy question comparing education to housing, and you'll see what I mean.

I made a PDF of all the passages I had trouble with; it includes Noguchi, Willa Cather, Talk Story, and French women, among others, and I'm re-reading and reviewing those passages over and over again. Hopefully, it will help.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:01 pm

yes! eliminate wrong answers - the correct RC answers arent going to jump out at your like an LR or LG. They will just be subtly right, and the wrong answers will be subtly wrong.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”