RC Questions First?

croggs

RC Questions First?

Postby croggs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi all,

1. I am sure there is a post about this, but has anyone found a significant difference between reading the questions first and then going to the passage?

2. What is the average amount of time you devote to the passage?

3. Any optimal strategies for a slower reader? I am usually around -3 or so in about 37-38 minutes. Bump that up to about a -5 within 35.

Thanks!

robotclubmember

Re: RC Questions First?

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 pm

1. Don't read the questions first. You'll still have to read the entire passage. Then you'll have to read the questions again. You just won't have the time to go through that extra step and the questions will cause biases in reading the passage that shouldn't be there and which will prevent you from fully understanding the passage. Read the passage first.

2. According to the PS RCB, students who spend more than 3:30 reading a passage significantly reduce the chances of them answering all the questions correctly in the allotted time. I think that's a good rule to stick to. Generally, it will be between 2:00 - 3:30 per passage for me depending on the density of the passage and how hot or cold I am, but on average, 3 minutes.

3. Read faster? You really just have to try your best to speed it up. Don't give yourself extra time in a PT, you're cheating yourself of the realistic perspective of your own performance that you need to prepare prudently for test day. I know that's terrible advice but there's just only so much you can do to fix reading habits. That said, maybe flip through the section very quickly and pick the section with the least amount of questions (usually there is one with only 5 or 6 questions), and do it last.

SupraVln180

Re: RC Questions First?

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:19 pm

croggs wrote:Hi all,

1. I am sure there is a post about this, but has anyone found a significant difference between reading the questions first and then going to the passage?

2. What is the average amount of time you devote to the passage?

3. Any optimal strategies for a slower reader? I am usually around -3 or so in about 37-38 minutes. Bump that up to about a -5 within 35.

Thanks!

a -3 in 38 min isn't a -5 in 35 minutes. It's a you're not even going to get through the last passage b/c you're gunna be short on time and freak yourself out. You're only hurting yourself by giving yourself extra time. Keep drilling RC til you can finish in time, until then live with the -10's on your PTs. I started prepping being a slow reader, believe me a few months of prep and you will fly through those passages, don't sell yourself short.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”