Watch question...

runningzigzag

Watch question...

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Can I wear my Rolex Submariner to keep time during my LSAT exam?

Here is a pic...It does a really good job of keeping time for this type of exam (because of the rotating bezel)...
http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/ ... 610ln-0001

Pleasye

Re: Watch question...

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:30 pm

are those digital seconds? If so, don't think it's allowed.

Also IB subtle "I'm rich" trolling.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm not trolling...I'm asking a legitimate question...and there isn't anything digital on this watch.

P.S. Don't judge me for having an expensive watch...I wasn't bragging about it either.
Last edited by runningzigzag on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Can I wear my Rolex Submariner to keep time during my LSAT exam?

Here is a pic...It does a really good job of keeping time for this type of exam (because of the rotating bezel)...

I called LSAC to see if I could use a Breitling, and they said no because its a chronograph. Why risk them giving you a problem?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:38 pm

runningzigzag wrote:I'm not trolling...I'm asking a legitimate question...and there isn't anything digital on this watch.

P.S. Don't judge me for having an expensive watch...I wasn't bragging about it either.

The seconds count down using something other than a little hand, that makes it digital.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

My watch is not a chronograph (a.k.a. has a stopwatch function). It just has a rotating bezel.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:40 pm

It doesn't count down with anything...it has a rotating bezel...
http://www.articlesbase.com/fashion-art ... 66020.html

LSpleaseee wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:I'm not trolling...I'm asking a legitimate question...and there isn't anything digital on this watch.

The seconds count down using something other than a little hand, that makes it digital.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:42 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:

Where does it say that? Maybe I'm missing it. I see what looks like a second (skinny) hand in the picture.

It looks like this watch meets their standards, but that doesn't mean that your proctor will know that. It could go either way. You might just have a proctor who doesn't give a damn. Why risk it anyway? If time management is a problem on the test, a watch isn't going to help much.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 pm

runningzigzag wrote:Can I wear my Rolex Submariner to keep time during my LSAT exam?

I'd think it would be ok. I took an analog dive-style watch with a rotating bezel (and an alarm, actually, but I made damn sure it was turned off and you couldn't tell it had one by looking) to the Oct. test and it was very useful. I rotated the bezel at the start of each section so the big arrow marker at zero was 35 minutes later. It sat in plain sight on my table and the proctors didn't say a thing about it.

But I also had a plain old analog watch with no special features on my wrist in case they made me put the dive watch away or take it to my car.

dccoope

Postby dccoope » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:

I could be wrong; but I think what you are referring to is the date display rather than a digital display counting down the seconds.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:46 pm

I'm referring to what's inside the red circle:

is that the date or seconds?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm

You should be fine, but you have to remember to bring your monocle with you, and to carry all other personal items in a plain white bag with a large green dollar sign on the front.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:48 pm

The watch is not digital and does not have an alarm. The bezel just rotates and keeps track of how many minutes have gone by. Thats it.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I've used a seiko chronograph (the ones you push 2 buttons to start and reset the little timer dial) during LSAT. No problems whatsoever. Never heard of a policy against chronographs. I was under the impression that as long as the watch is not electronic, it is allowed.

EDIT: OP, your rolex should be fine.
Last edited by 99.9luft on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Thats just the date

LSpleaseee wrote:I'm referring to what's inside the red circle:

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Thats what I always thought too...nothing digital.

99.9luft wrote:I've used a seiko chronograph (the ones you push 2 buttons to start and reset the little timer dial) during LSAT. No problems whatsoever. Never heard of a policy against chronographs. I was under the impression that as long as the watch is not electronic, it is allowed.

EDIT: OP, your rolex should be fine.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 pm

If that's just the date then you should be fine. I would say either way you should be fine because the proctors barely ever notice anyone's watch but...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:55 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:I'm referring to what's inside the red circle:

For the amount you overpay for a Rolex, I don't think they'd build a watch with a second hand reading :38 while a redundant digital seconds display read :08. It's the date. Same as the date on every other similarly-featured analog watch on the planet, from Timex to Swiss Army.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:For the amount you overpay for a Rolex, I don't think they'd build a watch with a second hand reading :38 while a redundant digital seconds display read :08. It's the date. Same as the date on every other similarly-featured analog watch on the planet, from Timex to Swiss Army.

Thanks for clearing that up dood. You're a lil late.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Yeah brah for $5 I'd be willing to start a conversation about how I'm envious of your wealth. I have a paypal account let me give you that number

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah brah for $5 I'd be willing to start a conversation about how I'm envious of your wealth. I have a paypal account let me give you that number

Damnit. This was TCR. I missed my shot.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 pm

3|ink wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Yeah brah for $5 I'd be willing to start a conversation about how I'm envious of your wealth. I have a paypal account let me give you that number

Damnit. This was TCR. I missed my shot.

Late to the partaaayy, I was trying to keep it alive for you guys.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm

I don't think it's fair to make fun of the OP just because he has a rolex. What if it was a gift from his grandfather, and given the modern age, no one wears watches to check time (we have cell phones), so the OP decided to bring it to the LSAT without having to buy a separate watch. Sounds plausible to me.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:23 pm

This watch should be acceptable - it looks like and probably functions similarly to my blue collar Casio. ;)

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks for backing me up. This post has really gotten off topic. I just wanted to know if it was okay to wear for the test--and that was all. Instead, it has turned into a bashing over Rolex owners. Sounds like the others (people who keep talking about cost of the watch, personal wealth and other money related topics) are very uncomfortable and defensive about their own situations in their own personal lives. People tend to lash out when things aren't right with themselves personally or emotionally.

99.9luft wrote:I don't think it's fair to make fun of the OP just because he has a rolex. What if it was a gift from his grandfather, and given the modern age, no one wears watches to check time (we have cell phones), so the OP decided to bring it to the LSAT without having to buy a separate watch. Sounds plausible to me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”