Searching for a Success Story - 28-30 LSAT points

yumi

Searching for a Success Story - 28-30 LSAT points

Postby yumi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 am

Hello,

After a couple months of sporadic studying (Powerscore Bibles) I recently took my first diagnostic and ended up with a lousy 142. I'm hoping that there is someone out there who has a success story, i.e. they raised their score (from first diagnostic) 28-30 points, and if so, HOW did you do it? I'm currently scheduled to take the February 2011 LSAT and am also enrolled in a Testmasters course which will begin this month, however, after reading advice given to comparably low scorers, I am not confident that I will be able to shape up in time. I work full-time from 8-6:30, and my schedule has proved to be a major obstacle in regards to finding the time and having adequate energy for post work-day study.

Does anyone have a 28-30 point raise success story??

gambelda

Re: Searching for a Success Story - 28-30 LSAT points

Postby gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 am

28 point is doable - it's just altering the way you think about things to be more structured. The LSAT is learnable.

However, by February is a massive stretch....also there is no point to you taking it in February. If you wnat to apply this cycle then you're too late as all scholarships and most admissions will be gone. If you're applying next cycle, then why rush into a february test when you can take it in June after a solid 6 months of studying? A 28 point raise will need a solid 4 months at minimum I think - especially with you working.

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 am

No but I improved 19 points and had 4-5 PT's at 178 (Diag: 151; Actual: 170). I don't know about everyone else but for me, improvements came in increments so I think a lot of it has to do with how long you give yourself to prepare and whether or not you can push through some plateaus.

Self study is the way to go. Don't rely on HW assignments or instructors to motivate you. That being said, you do need to focus on understanding the fundamental logic behind the test so don't worry about the actual score just yet. The other suggestions I can think of are to forget timing yourself for about a month and take as long as you need to understand why every correct answer is correct and, more importantly, why every incorrect answer is incorrect. I would suggest that as you PT you take as long as required to review each test, especially the ones you get right (this was a turning point for me). Lastly, turn off the tv and read. I might be wrong about this but, at least in my case, the more you get used to sitting still and reading and comprehending what you read the easier it becomes to do it for dense subject matter frequently seen on the LSAT. When I was prepping last spring for the June test, I had several finance classes requiring me to read hundreds of pages about cap rates and mortgages so the LSAT was a welcome break at times.

Good luck IHTH.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 am

There is almost no way you have enough time for that type of increase. To be honest, if you are working full time continuously until law school I would say you take the June test, but in reality you may need to postpone until October.

yumi

Postby yumi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am

Thank you everyone, for your feedback and advice.

On the topic of my postponing taking the LSAT, I suppose that taking the October test would be wiser than taking the June LSAT, not only because I would have more time to prepare, but also because the June test supposedly has the harshest curve... (is this true about the June LSAT)?

Also, if I did postpone until June or October, taking into consideration my extremely low diagnostic score and work schedule, does anyone have suggestions as to how many hours per day/days per week I should study over the next 6 or 10 months? Most of the study plans that I've seen revolve around 3-4 months preparation.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:47 am

never took a true diag, but my best guess is it would have been in the mid 140s (mainly cause LG back then took me 55 min). My average for the past 10 PTs has been 167, so that's about a 25 point increase. Sometime after the first 10 PTs is when it really started to click and I stopped scoring in the 150s. I definitely agree that you should postpone until Feb., maybe the course speeds up your studying (never took one so I don't know), but I started seriously studying from the end of July to now, and a little bit before then. Hard to put an exact number on it, but I probably studied close to about 90 hrs.

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:55 am

yumi wrote:Thank you everyone, for your feedback and advice.

On the topic of my postponing taking the LSAT, I suppose that taking the October test would be wiser than taking the June LSAT, not only because I would have more time to prepare, but also because the June test supposedly has the harshest curve... (is this true about the June LSAT)?

Also, if I did postpone until June or October, taking into consideration my extremely low diagnostic score and work schedule, does anyone have suggestions as to how many hours per day/days per week I should study over the next 6 or 10 months? Most of the study plans that I've seen revolve around 3-4 months preparation.

I think the June LSAT is the way to go. There's much more that goes into applications post-LSAT then I originally thought and the added time to prepare them and still have them in early has been beneficial. The Feb test is kind of a mystery because it is undisclosed so the curve is impossible to estimate. Also, the June test is the only one administered at 12pm, which if you're like me, is invaluable.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 am

furrywalls wrote:
yumi wrote:Thank you everyone, for your feedback and advice.

I think the June LSAT is the way to go. There's much more that goes into applications post-LSAT then I originally thought and the added time to prepare them and still have them in early has been beneficial. The Feb test is kind of a mystery because it is undisclosed so the curve is impossible to estimate. Also, the June test is the only one administered at 12pm, which if you're like me, is invaluable.

Do we know WHY the February test is undisclosed? That seems odd to me.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:22 am

vissidarte27 wrote:Do we know WHY the February test is undisclosed? That seems odd to me.

We do. People take the LSAT outside of the United States and on different days for Sabbath observers (Asia, Europe, Australia, etc) and therefore they take them at different times (Mondays for Sabbath observers, different time zones for other countries). In order to make sure that no one gains an unfair advantage LSAC needs some tests that will never be revealed to anyone. All of the other tests are given out so that we can study with them and take practice tests. The February tests are the ones that are given to people on Sabbaths and overseas and therefore have to be undisclosed.

ETA: I know someone on TLS who had this big of a jump, I don't want to tell his story for him so I'll tell him about this thread and see if he wants to post!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:34 am

Hey there.

I did have a jump like you describe: my diag was either 142 or 143...can't really remember (maybe Pleasy can tell you, heh). My score on the test ended up at the low 170s (numbers may or may not be true in profile), and I had PTed 180 a couple times. Probably would have gotten a 177 or 178 if I hadn't misread a game rule twice on the test.

How did I do it? Well, unfortunately it's not something you can mirror, though I don't see why a 20 point jump wouldn't be possible. Basically I took the test cold, not even knowing what the test consisted of. It was the one they give away for free. I felt ok about the LR and RC, but I was completely frozen for the games. Ended up getting -21 on that section (if I had guessed them all I would have done better, instead I tried to educated guess half and left the other half blank). So I bought an LSAT book (a bad one from Princeton Review...you were on the right track with the bibles). I jumped to 157 on my next test, but with games still terrible I bought the flash cards (lol) and the bible (yay). I immediately went from -teens to -8 or less. After I had torn through the LGB and LRB, I never scored under 170 again. My strategy was to do SOMETHING LSAT related every day. Off days were for review of previous PTs. Two PTs a week, review the next day (do a section if you did well enough for this review to be short). Do sections of your worst area, drill, drill, drill. Remember every single question is essentially a math problem.

PM me if you have questions/need encouragement. :)

ETA: I'm the person LSPleaseee fetched

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:47 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Do we know WHY the February test is undisclosed? That seems odd to me.

We do. People take the LSAT outside of the United States and on different days for Sabbath observers (Asia, Europe, Australia, etc) and therefore they take them at different times (Mondays for Sabbath observers, different time zones for other countries). In order to make sure that no one gains an unfair advantage LSAC needs some tests that will never be revealed to anyone. All of the other tests are given out so that we can study with them and take practice tests. The February tests are the ones that are given to people on Sabbaths and overseas and therefore have to be undisclosed.

ETA: I know someone on TLS who had this big of a jump, I don't want to tell his story for him so I'll tell him about this thread and see if he wants to post!

That's really interesting and makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information. :)

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:52 am

I've been tutoring LSAT for a couple years now, so I've worked with literally hundreds of students. I have to be honest, improving more than 20 points is really rare. The students that I had who made 20+ point jumps have been really, really dedicated. I'm talking 20 hours a week for 6-8 weeks. Aside from that, they've been tenacious, willing to struggle with ideas until they make perfect sense, not just settle for a vague understanding.

I'd definitely recommend you postpone to at least June, and spend the time before you start regular prep on basic skills, pick up some books on critical reasoning, do some challenging reading on a regular basis, force yourself to become comfortable reading and keeping up with dense material.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:04 am

I went from a 139 (diag. timed and totally cold) to a 160 in Oct. 2010. I knew nothing about the LSAT and had never seen one before. I think I only got a few LG questions right on the diagnostic. I got -4 on LG in Oct. after doing basically every section and routinely getting -1 or -0.

After my diag. I bought all the bibles and almost all the tests and just did as much self study as I could the summer before Oct 2009. I was also taking 12 hours of summer school at the time so I was swamped. I realized in Sept that I wasnt ready (scoring in the low 150s) and I put it off until this year. I finished out school in May and dedicated my whole summer to studying and thats all. I really feel like taking the time off from studying and coming back to it later helped a ton. I took a powerscore full length course from July to August and thought it was great. I would recommend it to anyone. Btw I was PTing at around 163 so I kind of chocked on Oct.

I know this isnt quite the jump that youre looking for but I hope it helps.

yumi

Postby yumi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks everyone! Your success stories are all helpful and I'm definitely going to refer to your advice often.

I had a Test Masters class last night and I found that thus far, the pedagogy, although notably different from PS, complimented the PS Bible concepts nicely. I think that I will end up postponing my test date until June, but I'm still interested to see how much I improve over the next month as a result of taking the class and studying the Bibles at the same time...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”