PT 61 - Nurses

PT 61 - Nurses

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:51 am

Did anyone have any big deductions on this game that helped to save time?
There is nothing inherently tricky about it, it is honestly a straight forward ordering game, but it took and continues to take me a long time to process it and I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Did anyone else struggle to get this one done in a reasonable amount of time?

enigma09

Re: PT 61 - Nurses

Postby enigma09 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 am

I felt that way about the whole LG section in October when I took it. It was my last section, and I had a complete meltdown. I don't know if I was fatigued or if I got a little frustrated and it just had a snowball effect.

I felt like the whole LG section on that test wasn't necessarily hard, but just incredibly time consuming. I must've drawn out 50 hypos in the course of those 4 games (barely exaggerating).

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:59 am

I think I would have panicked if I had had this LG section on test day, too. The first game took me 12 minutes, and I was like WTF?! This is going to be my worst section since before I bought the LGB!

In the end, I only missed -3, all in the races game.

I'll post what I did for nurses when I get home if someone can help me out with game 1 and game 3. Those took waaaay too long. Nurses finished itself in about 9 minutes.

Game 2 was really, really easy though. Gotta love 5-minute sequencing games.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 am

2014 wrote:Did anyone have any big deductions on this game that helped to save time?
There is nothing inherently tricky about it, it is honestly a straight forward ordering game, but it took and continues to take me a long time to process it and I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Did anyone else struggle to get this one done in a reasonable amount of time?

I did a lot of hypos on that one. Congrats on post 1000 btw!

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:20 am

Nonok wrote:
2014 wrote:Did anyone have any big deductions on this game that helped to save time?

I did a lot of hypos on that one. Congrats on post 1000 btw!

Thanks didn't even notice :P

Nieder I think I did fine on 1 and 3, I'll post my set up on those later.
It sounds like others might have been in the same boat though. It is so frustrating to see a game that is not even tricky, it's just a huge time sink.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 am

just tried to do it again...

Not even going to waste my time this close to December. If I see anything like that on Saturday I'll just skip it. That at least condition is a deal breaker

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:06 am

Yeah the only big things I figured out other than the typical list of things that can't be first or last because of the ordering is that L has to be either 1st or 3rd, and then if L is 3rd you can narrow it down quite a bit with FGKH having to fill in 4th-7th.

I don't even know if I got that far on the real deal though.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Hey, I'm probably not the best one to give advice on games because I only got 20/23 on this section (ran out of time on runners)...but I did alright on Nurses, which I did third.

I got L--F--GK and M--J. Then, obviously, M_ _+H/H_ _+M. I couldn't find any obvious inferences either. However, I did #19 first, and that allowed me to answer both question #20 and #21 without any more work.

19: CANNOT: When you have delicate structures like GK and the M _ _+H block, then sticking another variable in the middle tends to gum up the machinery. Thus, I tried B and C. C requires L to be second, which violates a rule.

20: Use hypo from B in #19.

21: L--F--GK--M--J. H can be either second or third. Try both. Scan the answer choices; pick B.

22: Putting G 5th doesn't allow enough room for LF, M, AND H to go in front of it, so H has to go 7th.

23: Refer to B hypo in question #19.

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:45 pm

I like your strategy for 19, and that is probably the question that killed me.
When I look back at it now, it seems obvious that when you have GK in addition to the H/M rule and the limited possibilities for L, that it was going to have to be one of the options in the middle that wouldn't work. Out of habit I pretty much always start at A and work in order and even once I run into the right answer I often will rule out subsequent wrong ones just to be certain.

I'll revisit the other games when I get home this afternoon.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:09 pm

enigma09 wrote:I felt that way about the whole LG section in October when I took it. It was my last section, and I had a complete meltdown. I don't know if I was fatigued or if I got a little frustrated and it just had a snowball effect.

I felt like the whole LG section on that test wasn't necessarily hard, but just incredibly time consuming. I must've drawn out 50 hypos in the course of those 4 games (barely exaggerating).

Me too. I finished the drivers and artifacts game a little behind schedule, then chose this over the slightly easier but still tricky runners game. How hard could a sequencing game really be?!

My collapse here is what made me cancel my score. I've since redone this games section front and back in preparation for December.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”