test center query (WEST LA) center

flannelman

test center query (WEST LA) center

Postby flannelman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Specifically Im referring to the university of west LA in Inglewood. But if you have a situation especially notable to number 3 Please comment from any center location.

Wondering if anyone has taken it here and what the experience was like. I have checked all other reviews online (which amount to roughly 4 or 5 with heavy digging). Specifically:
1) What time did you get started?
2) How big were the desks/ did you take the exam around a banquet table, elbow to elbow crammed in a room with maybe 25 other people (one of the reviews I read said something like this)?
3) How rigorously did the proctors time the sections. Exactly to 35 min timed to the second, or did they wing it, and if they winged it did they tend to run long or short?
4) Food is only allowed during the break I know, however what was the policy on drink?

Pleasye

Re: test center query (WEST LA) center

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 am

flannelman wrote:Specifically Im referring to the university of west LA in Inglewood. But if you have a situation especially notable to number 3 Please comment from any center location.

Wondering if anyone has taken it here and what the experience was like. I have checked all other reviews online (which amount to roughly 4 or 5 with heavy digging). Specifically:
1) What time did you get started?
2) How big were the desks/ did you take the exam around a banquet table, elbow to elbow crammed in a room with maybe 25 other people (one of the reviews I read said something like this)?
3) How rigorously did the proctors time the sections. Exactly to 35 min timed to the second, or did they wing it, and if they winged it did they tend to run long or short?
4) Food is only allowed during the break I know, however what was the policy on drink?

I took it here and loved it <3

1) We started reading the instructions around 8:30, maybe a little later.

2) The desks are long desks put together and yes you're crammed in a room with like 80 other people. HOWEVER, you're not really crammed that close together. Everyone is in a seat next to each other but there's room on either side of you. They did not skip seats.

3) They didn't wing it, they used a timer. Always called 5 minutes and time on time as far as I could tell by looking at my own watch.

4) Food and drink are only allowed at the break. Everything goes under your chair until the break when you can get it.

They were quick and efficient. It's always kind of annoying to listen to the proctor read all the directions that you already know word for word but it's their job and they follow it all very closely, but not SO closely that they are ridiculous.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 am

Inglewood huh? Prob shouldn't wear too much red either, wouldn't want the common folk to get confused

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:Inglewood huh? Prob shouldn't wear too much red either, wouldn't want the common folk to get confused

ETA: You sound stupid. Also, it's in the LAX (the AIRPORT) area so it's not a bad area. Either way your comment is rude ugh.

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 am

LSpleaseee wrote:1) We started reading the instructions around 8:30, maybe a little later.

2) The desks are long desks put together and yes you're crammed in a room with like 80 other people. HOWEVER, you're not really crammed that close together. Everyone is in a seat next to each other but there's room on either side of you. They did not skip seats.

3) They didn't wing it, they used a timer. Always called 5 minutes and time on time as far as I could tell by looking at my own watch.

4) Food and drink are only allowed at the break. Everything goes under your chair until the break when you can get it.

They were quick and efficient. It's always kind of annoying to listen to the proctor read all the directions that you already know word for word but it's their job and they follow it all very closely, but not SO closely that they are ridiculous.

LSpleaseee thanks for the reply!
Would you say began section one at about 915 or so then? If they were rigorous about the instructions I imagine it took some time to get through them all right?

Also would you say there is plenty of space to have your workbook open and answer sheet next to it side by side in the space given? I'm not sure what you mean by long desks unless you just mean they pushed tables together and spaced chairs apart at the tables. Weird but That works I guess.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 am

flannelman wrote:LSpleaseee thanks for the reply!
Would you say began section one at about 915 or so then? If they were rigorous about the instructions I imagine it took some time to get through them all right?

Also would you say there is plenty of space to have your workbook open and answer sheet next to it side by side in the space given? I'm not sure what you mean by long desks unless you just mean they pushed tables together and spaced chairs apart at the tables. Weird but That works I guess.

Yeah we probably began the first section around 9:15 or 9:30. The instructions took a while because they read them word. for. word. lol.

Yeah there is enough space for you to have it all side by side and then some room at the top for other stuff (extra pencils, chapstick, pencil sharpener, watch, erasers etc). That's exactly what I meant by long desks, they pushed a bunch of tables together and the chairs were spaced apart at the tables. I've heard that at some places they leave a chair between people but they didn't do that here. They crammed as many people as possible in there but it was quiet and comfortable IMO.

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:21 am

Awesome thats more or less what I was hoping for when I picked it. Were you there for this last October exam? Hopefully they wont change things up.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:32 pm

flannelman wrote:Awesome thats more or less what I was hoping for when I picked it. Were you there for this last October exam? Hopefully they wont change things up.

Yup I was there for last October. We would've been taking December there together but I postponed, good luck! (let me know if everything stays the same...I'm taking there in February)

ohhenry

Postby ohhenry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:01 pm

How's the parking situation?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:12 pm

ohhenry wrote:How's the parking situation?

There's a parking garage next to the building that you can park in. It's semi expensive but worth it so you don't have to look for anything. I didn't personally park (I got dropped off to avoid the parking situation altogether) but my friend did and didn't mention any problems (he got there really early though).

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks much! I will.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”