Not trying to be another how can I do better on RC, but...

How many passages?

Two but slower
No votes
Three with old pace
100%

Total votes: 2

StrictlyLiable

Not trying to be another how can I do better on RC, but...

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that my RC is not going to improve significantly, but I am curious of TLS's advice. I have consistently been scoring in the low 160's range and have done every single PT over the year I have been studying. RC has always been my weakest section, but the newer the tests I am taking, the less I get right. I know I am confused while I am reading because I am rushing through it. I usually try to do three sections, but this is increasingly being too much with as much time it is taking me.

I usually get all of the Games right and I usually only miss 3-5 on each arguments but I took PT 61 today and ONLY GOT 11 right. I never thought I would have to ask this, but would doing TWO passages with 100% accuracy and Letter of the Daying the rest be better? I know this is stupid to ask after 61 PTs and a week to go, but I really need advice.

nicole1833

Re: Not trying to be another how can I do better on RC, but...

Postby nicole1833 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I feel you there. RC is def my worst section. It started off really good. At the most -4... but over time I have focused less on that section and have been doing significantly worst than before. I took the test in Oct and BOMBED because of RC, so i am taking it again in Dec. I know it might be too late, but i bought the Atlas reading comp book and it help a lot...good strategies, so my RC has been getting better again. So we will see how RC goes this time around. Take your time with the reading. After each paragraph take a moment to pause and just reflect on what you read so you absorb it, and make sure you understand the authors point of view as well as each argument presented. Just don't stress out about it. Read it like you were reading anything else don't treat it like a test.

Good Luck!

Diiizzzzoooo

Postby Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Neither. Try reading the passage, take a breath and tell yourself the story you just read back in your mind in about ten seconds. Your brain will have the information. Slow down when reading, and break apart each paragraph's main point and write it down in a word or two next to it.

But for God's sake man, try all four. You can do this.

LadyB

Postby LadyB » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:55 pm

You can definitely get to all four, and since you'll never be 100% sure you got two passages all right I think it would be a gamble to not go for the whole section. I was having time issues in RC but found that if I really pushed myself through the reading (and underlined, circled adequately) reviewed once done and moved onto the q's I was fine. That was with spending 3.5 minutes reading and about 7-8 mins total on each passage. I have more trouble with the natural sciences passage but wouldn't leave that last unless it was also the most difficult.

guinness

Postby guinness » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Starting to think I'm insane here. I do RC with about 8 min to spare and usually -2 / -1 but still get -6 LG. Seems pretty atypical.

jwzp

Postby jwzp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by jwzp on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:23 pm

jwzp wrote:
guinness wrote:Starting to think I'm insane here. I do RC with about 8 min to spare and usually -2 / -1 but still get -6 LG. Seems pretty atypical.

You are insane. (I mean that as a compliment).

The vast majority of people aren't even able to get through the last passage, without skimming anyway.

Agreed.

masochist

Postby masochist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 pm

guinness wrote:Starting to think I'm insane here. I do RC with about 8 min to spare and usually -2 / -1 but still get -6 LG. Seems pretty atypical.

Hi LSAT twin! I think I am constitutionally unable to get through an LG without f'ing up one of the rules.

masochist

Postby masochist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:31 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Okay, I've come to the conclusion that my RC is not going to improve significantly, but I am curious of TLS's advice. I have consistently been scoring in the low 160's range and have done every single PT over the year I have been studying. RC has always been my weakest section, but the newer the tests I am taking, the less I get right. I know I am confused while I am reading because I am rushing through it. I usually try to do three sections, but this is increasingly being too much with as much time it is taking me.

I usually get all of the Games right and I usually only miss 3-5 on each arguments but I took PT 61 today and ONLY GOT 11 right. I never thought I would have to ask this, but would doing TWO passages with 100% accuracy and Letter of the Daying the rest be better? I know this is stupid to ask after 61 PTs and a week to go, but I really need advice.

And don't freak out yet. It is just one bad section, and you'll do better tomorrow. If you get 11 right over the next three tests, then there may be a reason to change your strategy. One bad performance can be the result of random bad luck.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:32 pm

I was getting -9 on most RC passages because I was reading slowly and trying to absorb everything. That's a terrible idea. Also, reading really fast and circling random words that I thought indicated author's attitude didn't work for me either.

Try going fast when you read and literally saying okay, this paragraph is about this scientific problem that no one can agree upon. Read next paragraph pretty quickly and say here's how this one scientist solved the problem, read next paragraph and say here's how author is astounded that such a problem was ever solved.

Question 1: Which of the following can be inferred about the scientist's experiment? You say shit......I have no recollection of that, but I know it makes sense that it would only be in the second paragraph based on my really quick read through and 3 small summaries I have stored in my head. Refer back to the 2nd paragraph, skim read til you find information on the experiment itself.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”