took OCTOBER 2010 as a pretest and scored 159.yikes for Dec

chrissyc

took OCTOBER 2010 as a pretest and scored 159.yikes for Dec

Postby chrissyc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Okay..so i am taking a kaplan course. I took the October test on Saturday. I scored 159...not great. I've been scoring 164-167 on practice tests and this frightened me beyond belief.

I am a URM...black and white. I got a 4.04 GPA from UCLA. I have my teaching credential. Excellent softs and I think at minimum I will score 160 on the LSAT....

but I am terrified that I won't get in. I have my schools narrowed down...I think I CAN pull 165 or so if all goes well...when I review my tests I usually SEE the answer and choose it before I look at the answer key but I second guess myself. I'm getting better at detecting wrong answers...I will do more timed games before the test, 1 more full length on Wednesday, and a few more sections of reading comp to increase my speed. I'm not studying hardcore on friday.

I am applying to...in no specific order of importance
1. DUKE!! (i really really want Duke)
2. Yale
3. Harvard
4. Columbia
5. NYU
6. U Penn
7. Georgetown
8. Stanford
9. Cornell
10. Northwestern

and my safe school

University of Florida.

What should I do to prepare? Where do you think I can get in? Any advice? This is my first time taking the LSAT by the way. I have been studying like crazy though and I am quite nervous. I usually perform well under pressure but the timing is killing me more than anything else.

Fresh

Re: took OCTOBER 2010 as a pretest and scored 159.yikes for Dec

Postby Fresh » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

See if there was anything (any section) in particular on October that really hurt your score. If it was all around under-performance, then maybe you had an off day. It happened to all of us during our prep. Someone can probably speak to you about taking in February if you're not ready yet (or taking a year off to teach maybe?), but the consensus is that taking February is too late and hurts your chances.

HTH and good luck! Amazing GPA btw ;)

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm reviewing the correct answers to the test with explanations as to why they are correct and it seems like I could have EASILY gotten a 163-165 but I was stressed and had woken up with a headache that morning. Those are very real things that could happen on test day so I guess I am relieved and stressed. I feel confident that I will do better come test day. I really want it to be over already.

Thanks for the compliment about the GPA..that makes me feel good.

tng11

Postby tng11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:07 pm

how do you get above a 4.0, I don't understand?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm

lakers3peat wrote:how do you get above a 4.0, I don't understand?

LSAC calculates any A+ the university gave the OP as a 4.3. Some universities don't give out A+s and hence people attending such universities can't go above a 4.0.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Yep....I guess I had some a+ or something. My actual ucla gpa was a 3.9 something..1 B+ and the rest A's.

I reviewed the test from october...read the answer choices. I feel like I get a bit wiser every time. That test was proctored and completely "real" but it wasn't my best so I am expecting 164 or better at least.

Any advice for the last few days?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:39 pm

chrissyc wrote:Yep....I guess I had some a+ or something. My actual ucla gpa was a 3.9 something..1 B+ and the rest A's.

I reviewed the test from october...read the answer choices. I feel like I get a bit wiser every time. That test was proctored and completely "real" but it wasn't my best so I am expecting 164 or better at least.

Your GPA is absolutely amazing. I think you would benefit the most from preparing yourself for actual test day conditions (waking up early and try to take at least one test that early in the morning). Take Friday off to relax because it is extremely unlikely that a single day of prepping will make any difference during test day.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:48 pm

KevinP wrote:
chrissyc wrote:Yep....I guess I had some a+ or something. My actual ucla gpa was a 3.9 something..1 B+ and the rest A's.

Your GPA is absolutely amazing. I think you would benefit the most from preparing yourself for actual test day conditions (waking up early and try to take at least one test that early in the morning). Take Friday off to relax because it is extremely unlikely that a single day of prepping will make any difference during test day.

I did a few easy ordering games and main point questions just to boost my confidence the day before and the morning of the test. Nothing extreme, but I thought it helped me get in the right mindset. Good luck.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:04 am

I'm going to focus on inference questions because it will help with LR and RC sections and there are a TON of them on the test. I will also do timing sections for games and RC since those are the sections that I struggle to finish. I have 3 days of studying left.

Decided not to study friday except for 1 section each in the morning with some review...finish by noon and then rest. Go to sleep by 9 since I won't fall asleep until 10 probably and then wake up at 6:15, shower and have breakfast, leave by 7:15, get to test site by 8:00, check in and spend time with my boyfriend until I HAVE TO GO so that I can calm down.

I am taking a dark chocolate bar with me, a TINY water bottle (so that I don't have to pee), and some excedrin (i get migraines and i need caffeine since i won't have coffee), and that's it.

I'm going to bring a hybrid game that I've worked out and a distribution game to keep my mind warmed up. I think that will do it.

Anything else?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”