PT61 LR questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
proteinstolaw

New

PT61 LR questions

Post by proteinstolaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:40 am

Can someone help explain LR S1-19 and S1-25 here?

19: newspaper journalists tend not to challenge the newsmakers openly.
I thought the rest of the 4 answers were definitely better than D. But I am not entirely convinced why D has no value to explain that at all?

25: university president: students prefer one with experience, but they ended up voting for one that has none.
For D to work, this has to be assumed: without the knowledge of whether the candidates have experience, the one favored most somehow might happen to be the top choice.

For C to work, this has to be assumed: the fewer candidates students got to poll had excluded every candidate with experience.

So I picked C, considering D requires a random chance.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Platinum

Re: PT61 LR questions

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:50 pm

proteinstolaw wrote:Can someone help explain LR S1-19 and S1-25 here?

19: newspaper journalists tend not to challenge the newsmakers openly.
I thought the rest of the 4 answers were definitely better than D. But I am not entirely convinced why D has no value to explain that at all?

25: university president: students prefer one with experience, but they ended up voting for one that has none.
For D to work, this has to be assumed: without the knowledge of whether the candidates have experience, the one favored most somehow might happen to be the top choice.

For C to work, this has to be assumed: the fewer candidates students got to poll had excluded every candidate with experience.

So I picked C, considering D requires a random chance.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
For #19 D would be a reason for newspaper writers to challenge the veracity MORE often, not less. If controversial issues draw public interest, and it is probably safe common knowledge that public interest is a good thing for journalists, why would they stray away from controversial debate? It would explain an opposite trend in my opinion.

They vote for the one that has no experience, because they had no idea whether any of them had experience. Without knowledge of any of their experience, how can they possibly be expected to differentiate based on that credential?

Also I don't know if you are prepping atm, but if you look at the question two more things strike me. First of all, it says nowhere that experience is the most important or the only characteristic, so a potential answer could say something like "Students consider education level the most important characteristic, and the candidate they chose had the highest level of education despite no experience as a president"
Secondly, it says nothing about ANY of the candidates having experience, so a potential answer could have been as simple as "the list of leading candidates featured none with previous experience"

I know it helps me to prephase questions and think about the argument as a whole, not simply within the frame of the answers given on this particular test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”