Anyone use Knewton LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
policestate1234

New

Anyone use Knewton LSAT?

Post by policestate1234 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:28 am

Please don't respond if you work for them or another LSAT prep company. I want to hear from recent users, if there any. Did you find the computer difficult because you couldn't outline like paper? Did you supplement it with anything else? Would you recommend them?

furrywalls

New

Re: Anyone use Knewton LSAT?

Post by furrywalls » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:44 am

I used them to prep for June '10. I was taking a full course load and really didnt think taking a classroom based prep course would benefit me enough to justify the cost. The access to every PT was by far the most valuable aspect of the entire course and it was easy to track my progress with their graphs, etc. I used the powerscore books as well but as far as RC was concerned, it was difficult to outline for the online PT's. Basically I took so many on the computer that I learned to take the test without outlining. For the games it didn't matter that it was on the computer I just used a small piece of notebook paper. I ended up missing 4 on RC on the actual test. HTH.

policestate1234

New

Post by policestate1234 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:47 am

furrywalls wrote:I used them to prep for June '10. I was taking a full course load and really didnt think taking a classroom based prep course would benefit me enough to justify the cost. The access to every PT was by far the most valuable aspect of the entire course and it was easy to track my progress with their graphs, etc. I used the powerscore books as well but as far as RC was concerned, it was difficult to outline for the online PT's. Basically I took so many on the computer that I learned to take the test without outlining. For the games it didn't matter that it was on the computer I just used a small piece of notebook paper. I ended up missing 4 on RC on the actual test. HTH.
What about their claims about how interactive their system is an how they can help you focus on your weaknesses. Was this true?

furrywalls

New

Post by furrywalls » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:52 am

policestate1234 wrote: What about their claims about how interactive their system is an how they can help you focus on your weaknesses. Was this true?
Essentially yes, but it is designed for self-motivated students. Each homework question and PT question is categorized so you can breakdown the types of questions you are missing. They use the data to auto-generate graphs relating to these categories. The more I studied on my own and with the PS books the more I noticed that there were some questions that I felt were incorrectly categorized but this is a really minor complaint. They also give a pretty decent explanation for each question. The system is pretty user friendly but the usefulness completely depends on how much you put into it. Depending on what kind of score you are aiming for, I wouldn't expect to sign up for the course for the instruction plus a couple PTs and expect to achieve your goal. If you use it for the access to all the PTs and actually take a bunch of them and review the answers it will be helpful. I still recommend the PS bibles if you haven't worked through them yet- probably the quickest way to improve your score.

Peekay80

New

Post by Peekay80 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 am

I used Knewton to prepare for the June 2010 after having taken the DEC 09 test. The program was good, very easy to use interface, and I was thoroughly diligent with the homework. I will say, from my experience, the program is designed for those in the high 150's, low 160s range. It did give me some new techniques, but I sometimes felt bored with the class because it was stuff I already knew etc. The 5 point guarantee is great tho, as long as you do all the homework, etc. I did not go up the 5 points, and as a result I received my money back in about a week to ten days.

Overall: Recommend it if you are in the range I spoke about earlier. Stay focused on the homework and use all the extra tutorials available. If I hadn't choked on the mulch/stone game, I would have easily made my 5 point improvement. Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

policestate1234

New

Post by policestate1234 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Peekay80 wrote:I used Knewton to prepare for the June 2010 after having taken the DEC 09 test. The program was good, very easy to use interface, and I was thoroughly diligent with the homework. I will say, from my experience, the program is designed for those in the high 150's, low 160s range. It did give me some new techniques, but I sometimes felt bored with the class because it was stuff I already knew etc. The 5 point guarantee is great tho, as long as you do all the homework, etc. I did not go up the 5 points, and as a result I received my money back in about a week to ten days.

Overall: Recommend it if you are in the range I spoke about earlier. Stay focused on the homework and use all the extra tutorials available. If I hadn't choked on the mulch/stone game, I would have easily made my 5 point improvement. Hope this helps.
I'm at 165. Do you recommend it for me? I've studied a bit on my own, and took a whole shitload of PT, but for some reason I feel like there is something in my knowledge base that I'm not getting.

Curry

Post by Curry » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:35 pm

policestate1234 wrote:
Peekay80 wrote:I used Knewton to prepare for the June 2010 after having taken the DEC 09 test. The program was good, very easy to use interface, and I was thoroughly diligent with the homework. I will say, from my experience, the program is designed for those in the high 150's, low 160s range. It did give me some new techniques, but I sometimes felt bored with the class because it was stuff I already knew etc. The 5 point guarantee is great tho, as long as you do all the homework, etc. I did not go up the 5 points, and as a result I received my money back in about a week to ten days.

I'm at 165. Do you recommend it for me? I've studied a bit on my own, and took a whole shitload of PT, but for some reason I feel like there is something in my knowledge base that I'm not getting.
No. You are already scoring high enough to know what you are doing. ITs just practice now.

Peekay80

New

Post by Peekay80 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 pm

I'd say no. At your level, it's about continuous practice and if you really feel like a class is what you need then I'd really look at getting a tutor for those specific areas.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:33 pm

I just finished a Knewton class last night after getting a 168 in October.
I actually believed it was very beneficial and my PT scores are far higher leading up to this weekend than they were leading up to October.

It helps you to focus more, the homework is all real LSAT problems so you aren't wasting your time, and having access to all of the practice tests, explanations for every single problem on every single test, and diagnosing how you do on question categories is extremely useful.

As was said above, you have to be driven yourself, but if you are going to take an online course, I would highly recommend it, even for someone at your score.

Their 5 point guarantee is unrivaled too, you would be guaranteed a 170 at least, with the only stipulation being that you do all of their homework assignments, which comes out to about 1.5 hours per 3 hour class, and do 5 PTs, which if you value the advice of TLS you should do a ton more.

My only frustation with them was that sometimes the technology would lag a bit, probably because I have spotty internet speed and am on a laptop, and doing RC on the computer straight up blows, so it is not particularly useful for practicing that, though the lessons are moderately useful.

There are TAs willing to help you out too if you have questions that don't fit in the lesson plan, they will respond privately. Last night one of the TAs actually stayed 45 minutes after our class and worked through the October games section with me before Knewton had even processed or released it for students. I don't think many other companies would go above and beyond like that.

Alright that was a really long post, but I am really pleased with Knewton, and given that they are going to be giving me my money back unless I score a 180 (Money back guarantee can be based on a diagnostic test too) the least I can do is spread the good word.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”