Possible error in Manhattan LSAT LG

thegarciab0y

Possible error in Manhattan LSAT LG

Postby thegarciab0y » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:06 am

So I am about three quarters of the way through the Manhattan LSAT strategy guide and after prepping for about four months I just couldn't get over one of the drill questions that seemed inconsistent with everything I know so far. On page 152 question number 5, the second condition states “neither Y nor Z can be even if W is odd.” To me this means Wo--->Yo and Zo right??? Well on the solutions it actually has Wo--->Ye and Wo--->Ze basically stating that if W is odd that Y and Z are even??? How can this be? Can anybody explain this for me please?

yoojin0319

Re: Possible error in Manhattan LSAT LG

Postby yoojin0319 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:52 am

I don't have the book,, but I am assuming its an error....

Wo->Yo+Zo (like what u wrote)
I don't know how the answer could be Wo->Ye, Wo->Ze

Hm....
If it's not an error,, let me know how! thanks!

thegarciab0y

Postby thegarciab0y » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:32 am

Just double-checked to make sure I'm not going crazy or anything, it is an error. Thanks

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:36 am

thegarciab0y wrote:So I am about three quarters of the way through the Manhattan LSAT strategy guide and after prepping for about four months I just couldn't get over one of the drill questions that seemed inconsistent with everything I know so far. On page 152 question number 5, the second condition states “neither Y nor Z can be even if W is odd.” To me this means Wo--->Yo and Zo right??? Well on the solutions it actually has Wo--->Ye and Wo--->Ze basically stating that if W is odd that Y and Z are even??? How can this be? Can anybody explain this for me please?

I am assuming that the options are ODD or EVEN only.

I also get: Wo --> Yo + Zo and the contrapositive is: Ye / Ze --> We.

matt@manhattanlsat

Re: Manhattan LSAT LG

Postby matt@manhattanlsat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Wow, thank you!

I just grabbed my copy of the new LG Strategy Guide. There's definitely a typo in the solutions set, which I've forwarded to the curriculum team. For a corrected version of the solution for Q5 on pg153:

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/lg- ... 868c7fefe4

Thank you for spotting that, we'll notify our students and have that corrected right away...

thegarciab0y

Postby thegarciab0y » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm not sure if you care about other errors, but there are two other obvious ones that I'd like to point out.
Page 176 Q#6 After the EXCEPT: ---> "there is a sentence here incorrectly pasted from another question" that completely through me off at the end of the LG
Page 205 -This is the page after the entire lesson where you get to work out a LG yourself, and the bottom part of the page is covered with a diagram from the solutions giving away the set-up, this one had to be the worst one yet.
-I find it really hard to believe you people don't employ at least 1 person for minimum wage to work through this book and point out errors like this, I don't know what to make of that.
I will be posting to update if I find any other errors in this book, I still haven't even finished it yet.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 pm

thegarciab0y wrote:I'm not sure if you care about other errors, but there are two other obvious ones that I'd like to point out.
Page 176 Q#6 After the EXCEPT: ---> "there is a sentence here incorrectly pasted from another question" that completely through me off at the end of the LG
Page 205 -This is the page after the entire lesson where you get to work out a LG yourself, and the bottom part of the page is covered with a diagram from the solutions giving away the set-up, this one had to be the worst one yet.
-I find it really hard to believe you people don't employ at least 1 person for minimum wage to work through this book and point out errors like this, I don't know what to make of that.
I will be posting to update if I find any other errors in this book, I still haven't even finished it yet.

Mistakes happen in any publication and I'm certain that Atlas (ahem...Manhattan) LSAT reviews their guides quite extensively. The problem is that when so much of a book has no errors it becomes very hard to stay sharp and on alert for errors as you continue in your review.

I have noted several errors in the LGB and the LRB but I don't hold it against them. It teaches me not to take everything I read as 100% positively correct and to always challenge things that appear a little wonky (even if they are correct and I'm wrong!)!

There was no need for this reply but I'm eating candy canes and felt like posting. So, hey!

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:36 pm

thegarciab0y wrote:.

That's a lot Captain Hindsight!

Seriously though, please do post any errors, but understand that the LG Bible has errors too. First and second edition books tend to have some mistakes. I am not excusing them, but none are major game changers.

Edit: See bold capital.
Last edited by youknowryan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks for telling us about any typos (and kudos to anyone who spots them - a good sign for your ability to read like a lawyer). We recently switched our printers and had to convert our books into a new format, and clearly things fell through the net. We're of course reprinting our books immediately to correct all those that were mentioned here (and a couple that were not).

We appreciate any new typos posted on our errata list that Matt posted earlier.

thegarciab0y

Postby thegarciab0y » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 am

Very true I could understand that. The book is still worth its weight in gold there is no arguing against that. It has already helped me tons on my LG so even though it has an error here and an error there I still strongly recommend it for anybody considering it. Didn't mean to come down hard on Manhattan LSAT they're one of the best companies it was just annoying/frustrating at the time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”