Is anyone else completely burned out?

luckyme

Is anyone else completely burned out?

Postby luckyme » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Took in october, retaking in december. I took a long break between the october test and studying for december because I felt completely prepared for october, minus test-day nerves.I recently started studying again, but I still feel like I did the first week of october--burned out. PTing high 170s, no real problems with the test, but when I practice I feel like I'm in a haze, just going through the motions.

Anyone discovered a way to break this feeling? :|

icydash

Re: Is anyone else completely burned out?

Postby icydash » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:29 pm

if you're PTing in the high 170's, why are you still studying? go get drunk.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 pm

luckyme wrote:Took in october, retaking in december. I took a long break between the october test and studying for december because I felt completely prepared for october, minus test-day nerves.I recently started studying again, but I still feel like I did the first week of october--burned out. PTing high 170s, no real problems with the test, but when I practice I feel like I'm in a haze, just going through the motions.

Anyone discovered a way to break this feeling? :|

Same thing happened to me Feb.--> Oct. almost exactly
The answer is push through, and stay focused. Allow yourself certain things to make it more enjoyable (drink a latte while you test) walk around for a minute between sections, and find a nice place to take it.
Seems like nerves were your only problem last time, so think about that. Are you feeling more confident this time? Are you just as worried? If you are, then you need to 1. spend sig. time at your test center, 2. start being ritualistic in how you take your PTs so test day is EXACTLY alike, 3. spend some time reaffirming your confidence that you are great at LSATs! and 4. Take breaks! Do FUN things. Go to a movie after you take an LSAT.

You only have two weeks left, try to be as relaxed as possible. Do something fun, spa day, car shopping for fun day, hiking, paint balling what have you

GL!!

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Same thing happened to me Feb.--> Oct. almost exactly
The answer is push through, and stay focused. Allow yourself certain things to make it more enjoyable (drink a latte while you test) walk around for a minute between sections, and find a nice place to take it.
Seems like nerves were your only problem last time, so think about that. Are you feeling more confident this time? Are you just as worried? If you are, then you need to 1. spend sig. time at your test center, 2. start being ritualistic in how you take your PTs so test day is EXACTLY alike, 3. spend some time reaffirming your confidence that you are great at LSATs! and 4. Take breaks! Do FUN things. Go to a movie after you take an LSAT.

You only have two weeks left, try to be as relaxed as possible. Do something fun, spa day, car shopping for fun day, hiking, paint balling what have you

GL!!

I requested same test center this time :)
working on #2 and i agree it's important...currently getting up at 930am :roll:
#3 seems like the best use of my time
just bought halo: reach...so #4 is taken care of

ty for helpful reply

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 pm

I actually loved the haze. I took 5 weeks off after Oct and jumped back in with the haze you speak of and was blazing through sections pretty quickly. I think if you can still score well in this haze it means your brain has more or less adapted to the test, now it's just a matter of refining your mistakes and keeping your nerves in check. I'm allowing myself more breaks this time around too as I feel more confident and I'm trying to treat this as another PT rather than Armageddon like in Oct :lol:

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:17 pm

why are you retaking if you don't mind me asking? did the nerves impair your testing performance in october?

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:22 pm

chrissyc wrote:why are you retaking if you don't mind me asking? did the nerves impair your testing performance in october?

yes

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 pm

I assume "high 170s" to mean either 177, 178, or 179. If it was "mid 170s" youd be 174, 175, or 176 correct?

Anyways, If you have 177, 178, or 179 I'm going to have to agree with:

icydash wrote:if you're PTing in the high 170's, why are you still studying? go get drunk.

Given the attitude you are displaying right now, I don't get the feeling from you that you really care enough about getting an extra point or two on the test to warrant taking it again. In my opinion, the feeling you have right now is completely normal---I feel this way every single day BUT, the difference is I'm not testing in the High 170s so I still have drive that tells myself, "you can still do better. if you want to get into better schools, you HAVE to do better." I then realize its my future and I get back to studying. lol, you see, I'm still committed to getting more points on my score or I wouldn't really care. At the score you are testing at now, the expected gain +1? +2? does not outweigh the possible costs(lower score, feelings of unhappiness, dread etc.) What's the difference between 177 and 179? A fraction of a percentile?

Go the LSAC's website and look at how people who got your exact score performed on their retakes. It's not worth it man. You're already in the 99th percentile; you are going to get in wherever you want to apply. Put the books down and pick up the bottle man. It's time to celebrate.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I was pting at 176 for 50-60 in October and I got a 166 on the real thing...there is always cause for concern

I'll save the bottle for winter break :wink:

lakers3peat wrote:I assume "high 170s" to mean either 177, 178, or 179. If it was "mid 170s" youd be 174, 175, or 176 correct?

Anyways, If you have 177, 178, or 179 I'm going to have to agree with:

icydash wrote:if you're PTing in the high 170's, why are you still studying? go get drunk.

Given the attitude you are displaying right now, I don't get the feeling from you that you really care enough about getting an extra point or two on the test to warrant taking it again. In my opinion, the feeling you have right now is completely normal---I feel this way every single day BUT, the difference is I'm not testing in the High 170s so I still have drive that tells myself, "you can still do better. if you want to get into better schools, you HAVE to do better." I then realize its my future and I get back to studying. lol, you see, I'm still committed to getting more points on my score or I wouldn't really care. At the score you are testing at now, the expected gain +1? +2? does not outweigh the possible costs(lower score, feelings of unhappiness, dread etc.) What's the difference between 177 and 179? A fraction of a percentile?

Go the LSAC's website and look at how people who got your exact score performed on their retakes. It's not worth it man. You're already in the 99th percentile; you are going to get in wherever you want to apply. Put the books down and pick up the bottle man. It's time to celebrate.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 pm

oh I misunderstood your original post. If you were PTing High 170s and got a 166 on the actual thing, I would think that it has to do with your readiness for the test-day atmosphere. Try taking a few practice tests outside of your comfort zone, in a library(public one) not your school quiet room. Also, make sure you are doing it just as you wake up in the morning, at like 830-9. I've foudn that I do way better when I practice test at like 3pm in the afternoon vs. the morning. Unfortunately, they don't accomdate things like that so I have been practicing waking up 7, eat breakfast, shower, shave, then take a practice test. Also, are you including 5 sections or 4 when you practice? Maybe you just burned out and stopped caring as much towards the end? Obviously you have the concepts well-grounded, I would just get used to the unexpected test-day protocol that could throw you off. You should also change your perspective on the matter.

luckyme wrote:when I practice I feel like I'm in a haze, just going through the motions.

If that haze means you are blowing through the questions with no problem whatsoever then good for you. Now repeat this on the test day and you won't feel like shit afterward, knowing that you didnt achieve your potential and that you have to study this boring ass crap for another few months before february or june. If that haze means that you are detached and it really doesn't mean much to you, then you gotta change that attidue solider! this is your future. get it done right and get it done now. dont be a vagoyna about it. i mean that with love and respect. don't plan for another retake. get it done so you can move on with your life.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 pm

note that on the real deal you will be there by 830, have to go through the rules and regs and wait for people to sign in. You wont get to section 1 until 9 or 915-930 ( depending on the number of people there). By the time you get up, it could be 3 hours after you wake up that you start the actual test.

When you are waiting for instructions, use this time to calm yourself down. REmind yourself that while this test looks different, it is going tobe just like your prep tests, except the paper is very thin, and you will be surrounded by lessser prepared people.( assuming that you do 5 section prep tests of course 8) 8) )

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:56 am

It may sound silly, but while they were giving out instructions I literally was signing Katy Perry - Teenage Dream in my head the whole time. It was playing nonstop on the radio during Oct and I found it to be quite calming for all the in between idle time. If I do well on Dec, a bit of credit will definitely go to her :lol:

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:30 am

almostthereee wrote:It may sound silly, but while they were giving out instructions I literally was signing Katy Perry - Teenage Dream in my head the whole time. It was playing nonstop on the radio during Oct and I found it to be quite calming for all the in between idle time. If I do well on Dec, a bit of credit will definitely go to her :lol:

wow seriously?... That makes me want to blow chunks. I was going to post that I have Burn out really bad right now I'm scoring 6 to 10 points lower than avg on Pt's. I was freaking and I didn't know what to do about it. But I think you may have just cured me. On general principle now I feel like I need to pull my self together and generally kick this test's ass!! So thanks albeit even though your comment was indirectly unintended

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:56 pm

almostthereee wrote:It may sound silly, but while they were giving out instructions I literally was signing Katy Perry - Teenage Dream in my head the whole time. It was playing nonstop on the radio during Oct and I found it to be quite calming for all the in between idle time. If I do well on Dec, a bit of credit will definitely go to her :lol:

I prefer Ke$ha's "We R Who We R" because I'm hot and dangerous 8)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”