DEC LSAT- Last Minute Reading Comp Help!

CmonSD

DEC LSAT- Last Minute Reading Comp Help!

Postby CmonSD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

I am taking the LSAT next weekend and I can't seem to improve my reading comp score. I am averaging -10 just for RC and -8 for the other three sections combined. I usually run out of time (5 min) for the last game, but still end up getting as many right as the other passages; which I spend significantly more time on. Does anyone have any advice or techniques that could help? I will also be doing a PT every day until next Thursday.

Initial PT Diag-142, Sept 09-158 and I REALLY need to break 164.

Thanks!

CmonSD

Re: DEC LSAT- Last Minute Reading Comp Help!

Postby CmonSD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Nothing???

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 pm

try doing 3 passages and just guessing on the last one.

Give yourself 10 minutes to do each of the first 3 passages, then with 5 minutes left skim the last one and answer teh questions that are quick and easy. Use your letter of the day for all other questions.

With 2 weeks left, focus on RC. Do as many timed sections as possible, and try to be done with each passage by 10 minutes. Start by timing yourself for each individual passage. You may notice that you are rushing yourself when you have more time. Or you are taking way to long for each individual question- and thus have to guess more at the end. See how it works out.

s254w

Postby s254w » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:19 pm

This really helped me:

Write notes as your read, it keeps your mind engaged. Just something like "critic pov" "author pov" "definition". This made me go much faster on the reading comps, and I was able to finish all passages instead of running out of time. Also, DO NOT dwell on individual questions for too long. If a question is taking too long to figure out, just skip ahead and come back to it at the end of the passage.
Its amazing how many minutes one can save by not going over the same 2 answer choices over and over.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Notes can be helpful, but be sure not to spend too much time on them.

I sat the test three times and finally had success by not writing notes but by using a highlighter.

Why are you doing a PT every day if you're weak on one section? I'd suggest a PT every third day and doing four RC sections on the days in between.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 pm

I have been doing a PT because I was really weak on LR too. :oops: RC just hasn't improved since my initial improvement. Thanks for all the advice! I'll get on it. : )

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”