How to handle "WTF" moments in RC

enigma09

How to handle "WTF" moments in RC

Postby enigma09 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:25 pm

How do you guys handle those moments in RC when you realize after a paragraph - or, more appropriately in my case, the whole passage - that you absorbed none of what you read?

This happens to me most frequently on those dense, convoluted passages (riddled basins of attraction and British common law come to mind) and also quite frequently on the final passage I reach during a timed section (when I'm trying to rush through a passage to finish on time).

I know my habit of just pressing on and going to the questions is probably wrong, but how should I handle those moments when the passage is dense and time is short? I feel like I'm wasting time by re-reading material over and over again, but going to the questions after absorbing virtually none of the material is certainly not working.

s0ph1e2007

Re: How to handle "WTF" moments in RC

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 pm

enigma09 wrote:How do you guys handle those moments in RC when you realize after a paragraph - or, more appropriately in my case, the whole passage - that you absorbed none of what you read?

This happens to me most frequently on those dense, convoluted passages (riddled basins of attraction and British common law come to mind) and also quite frequently on the final passage I reach during a timed section (when I'm trying to rush through a passage to finish on time).

I know my habit of just pressing on and going to the questions is probably wrong, but how should I handle those moments when the passage is dense and time is short? I feel like I'm wasting time by re-reading material over and over again, but going to the questions after absorbing virtually none of the material is certainly not working.

You just cannot let that happen to you
Practice forcing yourself to focus on what you're reading. If reading a five paragraph essay is too difficult for you after months of studying, consider getting tested for ADHD.
Start off though by reading things that are difficult for you every day, scientific american, financial times etc.

FunkyJD

Re: How to handle "WTF" moments in RC

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Practice as many RC's as you can. The more used to the situation that you become, the more your anxiety will lessen. The absolute worst thing you can do is plow on, unfocused, unsure of your answers, hoping for the best. This is the LSAT equivalent of shooting yourself in the ass.

If you have issues managing anxiety, yes, speak with a professional who can help you manage it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”