How should I handle RC?

chalhou1

How should I handle RC?

Postby chalhou1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:05 pm

I have improved in RC but it still pretty bad. Averaging -9 in RC. I feel like I get a good portion of the structure and main point but I am not remembering the details. Is there any way to fix this in 10 days?

any ideas? should I just try to do as many RC sections as possible? or change something in my application?

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Re: How should I handle RC?

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 pm

tagged.

I'm in your same position. Suggestions will be appreciated.

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:56 am

learn to mentally tag ideas in the passage.

oh they're talking about women doctors saving lives in this part. oh they said something about homer or some other old greek dude in this part. don't spend too much time absorbing material on the first read through. note that i don't say don't absorb. don't spend too much time.

then when the specific question says what did the passage say about women doctors, then you reread that paragraph.

as for the next 10 days. spend at least 2 days relearning your approach. then apply, note how you can improve, then apply, then take, then reflect, then apply.

hope this helps.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 am

Read Voyager's thread here and practice the strategy he recommends over the next 10 days.

I don't know how busy your schedule is but I would at least do 8 more practice tests, 1 a day, until the actual LSAT. That will help you build stamina, endurance, and gear you up for what you are about to do to your mind and body on Saturday the 11th. Honestly, I believe mental stamina is one of the more important things for reading comp.

I also believe, contrary to the above poster, that 'mentally tagging ideas' is a terrible idea. I was doing that for a very long time, even after being taught "the testmaster's approach", and honestly, while it may work for other people, it definitely didn't work for me. I always felt I had a better grasp on the content of the passage then I did and would miss too many questions.

Even though it takes a few seconds of time to do it, jotting down in the margin after every paragraph what you just read, i.e. Marshall's strategy--handpick cases to litigate, will force you while reading the passage to A) prove to yourself you understood what you just read and B) leave yourself a reference point to go back to in the case that a question stumps you and you can't remember what the author/critics/whatever's opinion was.

People may disagree with me but mentally taking notes is a bad idea for reading comp. You only have so much mental endurance, if you've already exhausted too much it, you won't remember what you read and you will get questions wrong by answering them with the superfically right answers.

Good Luck

p.s. I'm no RC wiz but I did go from -8ish, like yourself, to -4ish

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:18 am

Voyager's strategy is spot on- take notes. I went from -6 to -0, -1 (consistently) in three days.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm in the same boat... My RC fluctuates very radically. In the older PT's I'd be in the range of -6 to -8. The RC's in the 50's on however got a lot tougher for me. I use the note taking strategy as well and I definitely can't get away with mental note taking like others. I'm really stumped at this point... I'm literally reading as fast as I can, short notes (3-4 words) in the margins where I have a general concept of what's going on. But some of the inference questions require so much detail that I need to go back and read... and even when I do the answer simply doesn't jump out at me. I look at the relevant passage and there's still two hot contenders left... which causes me to spend too much time on these questions. Consequently, I always finish passages in roughly 9 or 10 minutes... and I still average at least 10 wrong. Though for some reason my Oct take was only -5...

I think I'm gonna have to throw in the towel in RC and just pray on test day I get a manageable RC. I simply don't think I can read fast enough to have sufficient time for the questions. Guess I should've started reading dense material earlier :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”