what's better for memory retention?

lakers3peat

what's better for memory retention?

Postby lakers3peat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Typing or Writing out the answers to questions you got wrong?

After having identified the conclusion and the premises of the argument, I've been hand writing on the back of my answer sheet what the correct answer was and why my answer was incorrect. Others have claimed it works really well and I would agree I've been getting better but it ends up being time consuming, even if just doing 5 questions or whatever. Although I think this strategy is very helpful, I've been wondering if my time was better spent practice testing and typing up explanations?

I know that I don't want to go back to my original strategy of look at the correct answer then tell myself I understand it because I think subconsciously I was cheating myself by doing this so I was wondering what other people do/if you think it's better to remember things by typing or writing. Feel free to chime in.

tourdeforcex

Re: what's better for memory retention?

Postby tourdeforcex » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 pm

whatever it takes to reach understanding.

i was never patient enough to hand write, plus my handwriting is not very good. i tried typing for a bit but then i felt that was too time consuming.

i think as long as you really go through the stimuli and the answer choices word by word and really understand what you're reading, you'll be set.

oh and if you have any friends that would be comfortable discussing questions w/ you, that might help.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:33 am

tourdeforcex wrote:whatever it takes to reach understanding.

that was kind of the answer I was hoping for haha.

tourdeforcex wrote:plus my handwriting is not very good.

same. =\

tourdeforcex wrote:oh and if you have any friends that would be comfortable discussing questions w/ you, that might help..

The only friends I have are on TLS and Manhanttan prep forums. Everyone else just tries to distract me from reaching my goal ;)

tourdeforcex wrote:i think as long as you really go through the stimuli and the answer choices word by word and really understand what you're reading, you'll be set.

Thanks for the advice! I'll probably stick to writing out my explanations for a few more days but as the test gets closer, I'll switch to just a brief review. I think I'm starting to understand where I went wrong on certain LR questions quicker. Also I miss questions a lot of the time due to rushing/pressure to finish on time but after I try the question again, the CR seems obvious that it's almost a waste of time to write a whole explanation for a question I got wrong merely because during the test, I was too busy freaking out about how much time was left and what question I was on to notice how easy it was.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Use Windows 7 snip tool to cut out the answers you got wrong. Then review them every few weeks. That way, even if you "cheated yourself" the first time, you'll get a good review of finding out what the correct answer actually was when that question is mixed in with a bunch of others you missed.

Obviously, this doesn't work as well if you're only missing 4-5 questions per test.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:22 pm

I see what you're saying but that would only work if I have a digital copy of the practice tests? I only have a few of those that I ordered from Cambridge. The rest are paper copies, which I suppose I could cut out since I answer all my questions on a separate sheet of paper but I don't particularly want to dismember the practice tests(at least not yet ;))

It's probably bad to be already thinking this way, given that I'm taking the test in 10 days, but I am thinking that I will probably end up retaking in June...There are a lot of things that I wanted to get done before the 11th that I haven't gotten around to doing yet. For example, the recommendation you just made. While I do review every practice test and I understand why I got them wrong/right, I haven't had enough time to do, as you said, review my review... I'm also 4 chapters in out of 12 in a formal logic book... I feel like getting all that stuff done and reviewing over them will boost my score another few points which is huge cause I'm at mid 160s and I desperately need 2-3 more points to get into my choice schools.

I know I'm probably rushing to take it in December but I've paid twice now(October and December) and my parents are freaking out about me postponing again(even though they know I'm not applying till next cycle). I figure taking in December won't be guaranteed fail, there's always the chance that I pull it out--especially since its got the easisst curve. And either way, if I don't get my desired score, I can at least have a month off until January to enjoy myself before I get my score then I go back into serious study mode. I also really like the idea of the afternoon exam....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”