Misleading, Fluctuating LSAT scores, help/suggestions please

asalta2

Misleading, Fluctuating LSAT scores, help/suggestions please

Postby asalta2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi,

I started studying for the LSAT in early October or perhaps a little before, and I was please with my initial results. I first took an entire test to get an idea of where I stood - I received a 155. This was relieving because I felt I had done poorly. I did great in every section for Logical Games section in which I scored 5 correct answers. I did some reading and purchased the logic games bible and have managed to boost my score in that section to about the 10-15 correct range. I've taken 7 tests and my scores are declining and I'm freaking out, because the test is on December 11th.

My scores : 155, 158, 156, 158, 155, 152, 149 - All of a sudden, I'm scoring far worse in logic reasoning than I had been and am doing the best in reading - this is flip flopped from my initial results on the first 5 tests where these two sections were my strong points

Has anyone had this problem and pulled through? I am going to take just 2 more complete tests between now and next Saturday, so as not to burn myself out. All of a sudden my confidence has flown out the window. My target score is 155 and my initial reaction was that I could do it and only improve by working at this - in fact, I felt the most confident coming out of the last test where I bombed it, what the heck!

Anomaly

Re: Misleading, Fluctuating LSAT scores, help/suggestions please

Postby Anomaly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:37 pm

I would definitely not sit for the december test.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:00 pm

dont sit for the december test. you are trending downwards. THis means that you are either learning new material or still putting your section strategy to the test, or you are burnt out.

GO back and see where your mistakes are. Review your notes on Logical Reasoning, Reading Comp. and Games. Do some question type drills, then timed section work. Then start working up on your endurance and full length ( 5 or 6 section) prep tests.

Best of luck

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 pm

you still have adequate room for improvement on LG. I went from my initial diagnostic of +6/23 on LG to +19/23 on game day.

Get the logic games bible and do every game you can 3+ times.

As for LR- ge the LRB and work each chapter 3 + times

Dont take the test if you are still only getting less than 16 right per section.

asalta2

Postby asalta2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. However, I am going to have to take this test in December, if I do poorly I can take it in February. Of course, i'll continue studying after I take it on December 11th. I'm going to take another test tomorrow and hope I can regain some of those points and keep my score up. I really feel like I can get that 155 when game time comes, I tend to perform better in those situations. I'm definitely planning on scheduling for February regardless. I don't see any point in my not sitting for December.
Last edited by asalta2 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:25 pm

if you are planning on february, remember that a cancel score or a lower score will have to be explained in an addedum. IF you are not fully prepared- dont take it. Its easier to explain a lower score- absence then your final score than a 149 149 and a higher score. Plus, if you scrore within your score range on your first two attempts, your third one may look like a fluke.

Also: if you sit for 2 exams, you will have to take the third score, regardless if you are sick or had a bad test day experience. Do you want to put that extra pressure on you?

asalta2

Postby asalta2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:34 pm

northwood, I'm confused by what you mean. My situation is this - I was absent for the October test, I just didn't go. Now I feel like I'd do better to take the December test and hope to get a good score so I can relieve pressure and perhaps not take the February exam. I really don't see myself getting a 149 on the real test, I think I just didn't get that much sleep and lost focus. I think I can do this, hopefully tomorrow my test score will jump back up and I can regain some confidence. I'll let you know. If my test scores jump back up, would you still discourage my taking the exam?

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

if they jump back up to your normal scoring range- then i would say that test was an outlier.
When I read your post it sounded as though you had lost your confidence. You need to be extremely confident on this thing ( dont go in thinking you will sit in february- it will put some doubt in your head)

See how you do on the next few tests. If you are not 100% sure you can hit 155, then wait until february.

asalta2

Postby asalta2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks a lot, that helps

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 pm

your welcome. Remember to walk into the test confident and well rested. Start getting as much sleep as possible from this point forward, and try to minimize the stress in your life.

Also, dont go on TLS the week of the test. There will be many panic threads, and it could psyche yourself out. You will be fine, best of luck

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”