1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

qtcherrysyrup
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 pm

1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby qtcherrysyrup » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi everyone,

Would it look bad if my score report shows "cancel-____-no show"?
Or should I go ahead and still take the December test even though there's a chance that my score won't make a huge difference, or I might even receive a lower score in the worst case scenario?

Your comments are much appreciated!
Last edited by qtcherrysyrup on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm

You're clearly not ready for this upcoming LSAT. Quite frankly, February may be too early for you as well.

Retake in June, kick ass, and write an addendum.

Best of luck!

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby czelede » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:12 pm

HeavenWood wrote:You're clearly not ready for this upcoming LSAT. Quite frankly, February may be too early for you as well.

Retake in June, kick ass, and write an addendum.

Best of luck!


+1

I agree with this, plus this way you will be bright and early for the 2011 application cycle.

qtcherrysyrup
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby qtcherrysyrup » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:15 pm

I'd really like to start my law school education in Fall 2011 because of family and money situations..... so I never really thought about waiting another year.

Would it not work against me if my report already shows CANCEL (even though there's an explanation from the LSAC) and then ABSENT? I just wonder if I'd seem irresponsible or anything like that even with my family death situations....

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby czelede » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Is it too late for you to back out of the LSAT now or do you have to take a no-show? Not totally positive how LSAC works on this.

I think you would be doing yourself and your grades a disservice if you went this cycle if that 149 is really not indicative of your potential performance. It will hurt you tremendously in comparison to what a good retake could do for you. I assume your applications are either not out or put on hold for your December score at this point, which means that by the time you are going under review you will also be somewhat of a late applicant - also a factor which will hurt you. If you give yourself some time off, retake when circumstances are better, and apply early next cycle you could be changing the outcome of your career vastly.

If you are determined to go this cycle though, I don't think the cancel-149-no show will hurt you too much.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby gambelda » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 pm

qtcherrysyrup wrote:I'd really like to start my law school education in Fall 2011 because of family and money situations..... so I never really thought about waiting another year.

Would it not work against me if my report already shows CANCEL (even though there's an explanation from the LSAC) and then ABSENT? I just wonder if I'd seem irresponsible or anything like that even with my family death situations....


1 cancel, 1 absence dont hurt you. 2 of either do. If money is a concern you should retake in june, get a mid 160 range which is a big improvement from 149. Then apply early to a middling law school that will give you a great scholarship.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby Sandro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm just going to say I honestly doubt schools would care if you no showed twice or cancelled twice in the range of scores you are likely to get on your LSAT. Sure, top schools might raise an eyebrow because they can afford to, most schools simply look at the highest score and if its what they want they will let you in.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Well at this point I don't see you having much choice other than to wait. If you don't show up, then that will count for your 3rd test take (if you want to reschedule, it has to be done 3+ weeks before your test day), so unless you want to go to law school with a 149 (I definitely don't recommend it), or you can get a school to grant you a waiver to take it a 4th time, you'll have to wait until 2 years after your first take to retake the exam.

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby KevinP » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 pm

With the exception of a few top schools, I doubt most schools will even care since they take the highest LSAT. Just be sure to include an addendum.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby Sandro » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Well at this point I don't see you having much choice other than to wait. If you don't show up, then that will count for your 3rd test take (if you want to reschedule, it has to be done 3+ weeks before your test day), so unless you want to go to law school with a 149 (I definitely don't recommend it), or you can get a school to grant you a waiver to take it a 4th time, you'll have to wait until 2 years after your first take to retake the exam.


Not true. Absents do not count against your 3 in 2 years limit.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Well at this point I don't see you having much choice other than to wait. If you don't show up, then that will count for your 3rd test take (if you want to reschedule, it has to be done 3+ weeks before your test day), so unless you want to go to law school with a 149 (I definitely don't recommend it), or you can get a school to grant you a waiver to take it a 4th time, you'll have to wait until 2 years after your first take to retake the exam.


Not true. Absents do not count against your 3 in 2 years limit.


Are you absolutely sure? Fuck, there's a cancel I had from way back when, if I would have known I would have just not shown up.

Well, ignore my bad advice above then. Your best choice is probably to postpone.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:03 pm

you are still coping with a family death. If you sit for the test, you will not score what your potential is. February may be too soon. dont show and get ready for June. Write an addendum that explains the circumstances around your october test. Admissions people will understand and take your best score.

With a cancel- 149 you have one last shot at this. dont rush or waste it.

June or October ( depending on how your therapy goes. Talk to your counselor about this)

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby albanach » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:09 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Are you absolutely sure? Fuck, there's a cancel I had from way back when, if I would have known I would have just not shown up.

Well, ignore my bad advice above then. Your best choice is probably to postpone.


Sando is correct, absence doesn't count.

Also there will be a lot more absences these days - in the past you could postpone up until the day before the exam, so there was really no reason for most folk to have an absence. Now you need to postpone weeks in advance so family matter, work incidents etc can all lead to people who were perfectly organized being unable to sit the exam.

User avatar
mls_1
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Re: 1 cancel, 1 score, no show or retake?

Postby mls_1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 am

qtcherrysyrup wrote:I'd really like to start my law school education in Fall 2011 because of family and money situations..... so I never really thought about waiting another year.

Would it not work against me if my report already shows CANCEL (even though there's an explanation from the LSAC) and then ABSENT? I just wonder if I'd seem irresponsible or anything like that even with my family death situations....


I have 2 absents and 1 ridiculously low score. Scheduled the December test, but some shit happened to me and my Depression came back last month. Just like OP, I cannot afford to postpone another year for my law school education, so I'm still taking the Dec test. If it doesn't go well (most likely), I'll retake in Feb. My plan is to send the application advising I'm taking the Feb test, and submit the score later. I'm aware of that this situation might hurt my chances (badly), but I don't see other choices. (very very bad......)




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrainsyK and 7 guests