PT58 LR1 #24 (Kiffer Forest Preserve)

PT58 LR1 #24 (Kiffer Forest Preserve)

Postby xqhp82 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am

Can someone explain to me why the wrong answers A-D are wrong? I understand that (E) is correct because if the bear population in the entire valley has been the same throughout the entire period, that means most of the increase in population in the Preserve area came from the other parts of the valley, and that would undermine the arguement since the population may not continue to increase if all the bears have been moved into the preserve.

But if the main road has been kept closed the whole time, where else can the bears come from besides other parts of the valley?

I'm particularly puzzled about (D).

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: PT58 LR1 #24 (Kiffer Forest Preserve)

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:55 am

Seems like you mostly grasp this one (and I think it's a tough one). (A) - (D) don't undermine the idea that the bear population can continue to increase.

(A) gives us a reason why the population has increased, and that could continue.

(B) actually strengthens the argument - it's not only because of migration, it might, for example, be that the bears are having more kids now that folks aren't watching them.

(C) is similar to (B).

(D) is tempting. It seems like it's suggesting that perhaps the bears have moved from other areas into the Kiffer Preserve. However, it could be that the decrease does not match the increase. For example, perhaps the general Abbimac Valley outside of the Kiffer Preserve lost 2 bears overall, but the Kiffer Preserve gained 80. The conclusion could still hold.

(E) establishes that the general population hasn't changed, so it seems that the local increase is simply because of internal migration. As you mention, that might mean the increase will stop.

Does that clear it up?

Postby nygrrrl » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:01 am

:lol: BEARS. This was "my" LSAT. I answered D. I had nightmares about these bears. Knock 'em dead, xqh (and Manhattan, I like your explainations!)
Wow. I'm going to be laughing about bears all day long...

Postby xqhp82 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:56 am

Thanks! I got it now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”