Best strategy = mix strategies?

thegarciab0y

Best strategy = mix strategies?

Postby thegarciab0y » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:39 pm

When mixing different prep companies materials….I can definitely see an improvement on LG for sure, especially on things like the chain or tree method by Atlas on top of my Powerscore foundation. Jeeze when I do one of those sometimes the ENTIRE lower half of my page is full of contrapositives and inferences and for every question I have to scan a junkyard of pencil scribbles to find it and if I skim over one on accident, that’s it, wrong. I’m really thinking mixing tons of prep company’s material is the key, well not tons, but you know. That way you never see a type of question in a single dimension or never do a game on a single strategy, you’re always mixing the better of the two, kind of like your own hybrid strategy better than both. I’m not going to ask about Atlas RC because I’ve read plenty of good things on it, but what about Atlas LR? Has anyone has any significant gains off of LRB then Atlas LR after? Kind of like this epiphany I just had with games….and no, I'm not advertising Atlas lol.

99.9luft

Re: Best strategy = mix strategies?

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Last edited by 99.9luft on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlhero

Postby jlhero » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:51 pm

yes mixed is better

thegarciab0y

Postby thegarciab0y » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Wow, thanks for the reply! I’m hoping to use them both and pick up just the extra boost I need to move more confidently and concisely on the tests. The one thing that sparked my mind into thinking this was the other day my Physics 2 instructor said “It’s kind of a shame we only use 1 book in this class, I have always wanted to give my students 2 or 3 different textbooks to work on the different types of HW problems for each book…. Since I feel like studying out of one book the entire semester is kind of one dimensional, it kind of makes you wonder how other physics students are learning the same material”
I’m just sitting in a class full of engineers thinking… *that’s it!* I’m probably the only one in that entire class who is studying for the LSAT haha. But to end my rant, thanks for the reply and I would like to hear from others if they wouldn’t mind on improved confidence/awareness/score after implementing Manhattan LSAT/Atlas after their solid foundation from Powerscore.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:04 pm

The danger with mixing strategies is that methods were designed as wholes, not as modular parts. Your mix may take good things from each, or it may contradict itself and confuse the heck out of you. So if you've found something that works, great! But be aware that you managed to make a winning toss, rather than find a definite path to enlightenment. It's a gamble, not a sure thing.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 pm

thegarciab0y wrote: I would like to hear from others if they wouldn’t mind on improved confidence/awareness/score after implementing Manhattan LSAT/Atlas after their solid foundation from Powerscore.

I've found it helpful for a refresher. Their LG strategy for ordering and 3d beat PS IMO. LR and RC isnt anything new but looking at the questions from a different viewpoint certainly helps.

logicalprep

Postby logicalprep » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 am

jlhero wrote:yes mixed is better

Yeah I'd agree. Mostly because you end up with a more thorough knowledge of the various 'how' can I attack this game\question\passage methodologies, giving just a better idea of what they want from you in the first place. Knowing what they want and knowing a buncha different ways to give it to them = success, in my opinion.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”