Correcting the "What was I thinking?" mistakes w/2 wks left

gambelda

Correcting the "What was I thinking?" mistakes w/2 wks left

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Hey everyone,

So far, I'm happy with my study. I know my 170 goal is achievable because I have gone above it on preptests. However, I'm hitting around 166-168 from very silly mistakes. i.e. when I go back to review the questions I have missed, I read the stimulus again and before even reading the answers over, I say "oh, it's B".....pause....."Why the hell did I pick E?"

I'm wondering if anyone has had this trouble. Is it merely a lack of focus? A product of overthinking? Sometimes this happens when it's between 2 AC's left and other time I cross out the correct AC completely the first time I do the question and still it stands out as obvious afterwards....

2 weeks left, any suggestions on how to fix the issue and save myself 4-5 questions per test?

dlbuhr

Re: Correcting the "What was I thinking?" mistakes w/2 wks left

Postby dlbuhr » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 pm

I have this problem as well. Interested in hearing any advice.

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:26 pm

This sounds cliche but read carefully*. They really aren't throwing any tricks at you. Always double check that your answer makes sense against the question and stimulus before moving on.

*Especially on games

bee's vision

Postby bee's vision » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:56 pm

I have the same problem. Usually, my wrong answers are those that I narrow down to 2 and then overthink and do something stupid. I also noticed, this might be just me though, that I'd pick opposite answers a lot of the time (strengthen on a weaken Q, for example) because I got so lost in my train of thought that I'd forget what the question is asking. I'm noticing that as I read more slowly, is greatly improving my accuracy and speed. Making sure I read every single word, and that I really understand the argument makes me feel much more confident and relaxed and I spend less time debating over which question is right and pulling my hair out. Just experiment with different pacing. Figure out if you do better finishing in 30 mins and double checking for 5 minutes, or spending more time on each question and not going back.

Somebody recommended I type out the questions I get wrong and guessed on. I started doing that a couple weeks ago and I'm seeing a lot of improvement. It forces you to pay attention to EVERY word and really get into the mechanics of the question, recognize patterns, common wrong answers, etc.. A lot of times I realize that I totally misinterpreted the stimulus the first time. I use the template from TLS1776's study guide, which is formatted perfectly so I can review the questions in their original form, http://www.mediafire.com/?m2j3jzjl5otefjm

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

+1 i find myself being able to argue for my answer (which is usually wrong)

maybe we're just over thinking it?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Im in the same boat. I feel like going into each question with a concrete plan and reminding yourself what to do is the key - sure you might understand how LR problems work, but if you arent always running through the checklists of what youre supposed to be doing on each type of question its very easy to slip up etc.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Im in the same boat. I feel like going into each question with a concrete plan and reminding yourself what to do is the key - sure you might understand how LR problems work, but if you arent always running through the checklists of what youre supposed to be doing on each type of question its very easy to slip up etc.

I think this could be the issue along with another poster's comment about sometimes picking the opposite because of failing to refer back and validate what the actual question was.

Does anyone else see this error pop up most frequently in stimulii that you do not understand fully on first pass? Maybe we need a strategy for connecting the second pass that we take not under timed pressure to our first pass that w etake under timed circumstances?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”