Best way to spend the last two weeks of study HELP!

flannelman

Best way to spend the last two weeks of study HELP!

Postby flannelman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Im hoping someone out there might have a good word or two of advice... what is best way to wrap up a long period of study? I'm not quite sure what is best to do myself. I am still looking for a good amount of improvement but have a pretty firm grasp on most of what this test entails.
My problems are:
LG-I understand how to complete game types but need to gain more speed in doing so. Sometimes Im caught looking for too many deductions or getting hung up for too long on one single problem either of which ruin my whole set.
avg -5

RC- Once again I could use a little more speed but this is from me being a generally slow reader and or getting hung up on one question. I usually get to only read the first paragraph of the final passage before having to answer whatever questions I can from it.
avg. -9

LR- Inconsistency is plaguing me here and I'm not real sure why. Per usual I need better time efficiency. A major problem can be getting hung up on 2 or more problems stubbornly looking for the correct answer and then all of a sudden at problem # 15 I have 7 min left to finish the section.
avg is hard to gauge now because its been very up and down recently. -5 to -12

So the question boils down to time efficiency. It is a major problem throughout each section and affects my scores similarly. So as a method to combat low scores, Is it best to study those problem types which additionally I have been getting wrong (In LR for example) or the ones which I usually get right? Studying the wrong ones and going at the pace I'm at will lend to higher accuracy at the very least and better scores, and studying the ones which I tend to get right should help me to speed through those problems more quickly leaving more time overall to complete more problems in general which in turn should give the opportunity for even better scores. The second Idea sort seems more risky and would likely have a lower and higher ceiling of failure and success. Also it just seems a bit counterintuitive. might this actually work, and could it work in my particular situation, having already a strong foundation in what I should know just needing more time to apply it?

Help!

fosterp

Re: Best way to spend the last two weeks of study HELP!

Postby fosterp » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 am

Dont get hung up on any one particular problem.

If its obvious you won't be able to figure it out in a decent amount of time, just mark a guess and move on. Better to allot time on questions you know how to figure out then waste time on questions you don't.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 am

work on finishing the first ten problems of LR in the first ten minutes.

if you've gotten -5s and -6s you can definitely do ten in ten. trust yourself, those problems are never that difficult

Anomaly

Postby Anomaly » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:37 am

Studying the wrong ones and studying the right ones are not mutually exclusive things. Study every question, every answer choice, wrong or right. The more time you put into this, the higher your score will be.

flannelman

Postby flannelman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 am

Anomaly wrote:Studying the wrong ones and studying the right ones are not mutually exclusive things. Study every question, every answer choice, wrong or right. The more time you put into this, the higher your score will be.

I think maybe I wasn't very clear with what I meant exactly here. When I take a PT (well actually come to think of it I invest more time in the wrong then the right, I will put more effort into both after now thanks for the tip!) I go through and evaluate the test and questions in it. What I meant with looking at answers which I get wrong and write typically is separate from taking PT's. What Im referring to is studying particular problem types ( ie Sufficient/Necessary, Weakeners, Main point ect...) which I tend to get wrong a higher percent of the time then problem types which I get correct. Im taking about doing them in groups isolated from PT's. But Im not sure if its a better move to work for faster speed with problem types Im better with or for higher efficiency with ones Im not as accurate with. But all the advice so far has not been without merit, thanks everyone!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”