Going back and "correcting"

guinness

Going back and "correcting"

Postby guinness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:07 pm

I tend to finish LR with about 5 min left and RC with 5 min left. I usually do my best on these sections (damn LG!), and find that when I go back and make changes to my answers I almost invariably change a correct answer to a wrong one. Therefore, this is becoming one of my cardinal LSAT rules to not change any question that I was going back and forth on unless I know it is a mistake beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Anybody else have this issue?

bdubs

Re: Going back and "correcting"

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:19 pm

guinness wrote:I tend to finish LR with about 5 min left and RC with 5 min left. I usually do my best on these sections (damn LG!), and find that when I go back and make changes to my answers I almost invariably change a correct answer to a wrong one. Therefore, this is becoming one of my cardinal LSAT rules to not change any question that I was going back and forth on unless I know it is a mistake beyond a shadow of a doubt.

This happened to me in practice tests and unfortunately on the real test as well. The best way to fix this would obviously be to study enough that you don't have any problem getting them right no matter how long you stare, but barring that find some way to avoid the temptation to change answers during your extra time.

The stress over inconclusive answers during the actual administration is much greater than it will ever be during your practice tests.

guinness

Postby guinness » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:21 pm

I guess I just need to stick to my guns and use every molecule of restraint in my body to not change anything that I can not definitively PROVE.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:25 pm

I always had 5, sometimes even 10 minutes left over on LR. When taking PTs I usually didn't force myself to wait the whole 35 minutes, if I was done early I just ended the section there. This turned out to be a HUGE mistake since during the real thing when I was forced to sit there for the remaining time, I went crazy and changed like 10 answers, therefore scoring wayyy below my PT average.

I retook, this time when practicing used the full time and made sure I had a system to deal w/ those remaining minutes, and did much better.

So yeah, be careful.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Yea but don't doubt yourself if you can prove that your answer is wrong. I never went back in my PTs but did on the real thing and fixed 3 errors on my LR. I completely bombed LG (-10) but still managed a 168. If you think you may be wrong use that time to do a full diagram of the question on LR and try to find the exact place in the RC that says what you are looking for. Any you do get prove right are just bonuses really so speed at that point is not important. I ended up feeling way better about the ones that I wasn't sure of that way.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I also never went back and changed answers during my PTs. I did, however, change 3 or so answers on the real thing, and got all of them right. I have a feeling you are only remembering the ones you change from right to wrong, not the ones you change from wrong to right. If these really are questions you are 50/50 on beforehand, you will probably change half from right to wrong and half from wrong to right. That is, however, unless you can definitively prove your first answer wrong. Then you will be in good shape.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:57 am

guinness wrote:I tend to finish LR with about 5 min left and RC with 5 min left. I usually do my best on these sections (damn LG!), and find that when I go back and make changes to my answers I almost invariably change a correct answer to a wrong one. Therefore, this is becoming one of my cardinal LSAT rules to not change any question that I was going back and forth on unless I know it is a mistake beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I used to have this issue big time. It honestly just means that you need to study more, until you can justify the one right answer every single time. I still go back and check problems I've marked as difficult during logical reasoning, but I very rarely if ever change the answer, and if I do I change it to the right one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”