Powerscore LSAT Prep Question

Powerscore LSAT Prep Question

Postby bumblebeebuzz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to this site, and I'm sure this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find it.

I'm planning on taking the June 2011 LSAT. I've been studying for the LSAT off and on for the last 3 months using the Powerscore Bibles. Starting from January, I plan to start studying more rigorously and consistently. I was planning on taking the Powerscore course, but the two dates they provide are not great. One class starts Jan 3 (meaning I'd miss the first few classes) and ends mid Feb--it's a really early class to take for the June LSAT (it's intended for the Feb LSAT). The other goes from April 4th until the June LSAT. The problem with this was that I was planning to move home to study for another month after I graduate in May plus I wanted to be able to prep more after the course. My question is... should I opt out of the course and take an online course instead where the dates are flexible? Should I not take a course at all and just study with the Bibles? Or should I go with an entirely new test prep company (fairly reluctant to do this since I've already been studying with Powerscore).

Thanks so much for any advice!

Re: Powerscore LSAT Prep Question

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Self-study vs. taking a prep course is one of the age-old questions around these parts. You'll find that many here will swear by self-study, others will swear by a course.

The very fact that you'd consider sticking with the Bibles suggests that the methods are working for you to some extent, so you may just want to continue self-study with them for now.

I can't see why you'd want to sign up for a course where you already know you'll miss part of the sessions you've paid for. Perhaps they'll allow you to sit in on another class for makeups.

If you do take a course, I agree that it's best to give yourself plenty of time after the course to review things more thoroughly on your own before taking the exam itself, esp. since it sounds like you'll make use of that time afterward.

Postby itstime » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:50 pm

I took the PS course and from what I've heard it is the best course. However, I did not get very much use out of the course. It is very important you have time to do a majority of the homework after each lesson or you will be lost. I like their explanations for the homework but it only has 4 practice test explanations.

So in the end I mainly taught myself but if it were not for the course I wouldn't of been able to learn as well as I did when I did go at my own pace

You will want to use Atlas sequencing strategy though I can tell you that for sure

Postby RefleX » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:40 pm

I took the online course, it was okay FOR ME. I found self studying to be a lot more my style. It kinda places the burden completely on yourself, and I noticed bigger gains from self study. Everyone has their own style, but start with the cheapest to see what works for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”