Most effective preparation = leave Logic Games for last? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ComatoseClown

Bronze

Most effective preparation = leave Logic Games for last?

Post by ComatoseClown » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Many posts and "study schedules/plans" have Logic Games as being the first section to begin with. However, wouldn't it be best to leave Logic Games as the last section for study, due to them comprising such a unique section (untested on any other standardized examination) and therefore the techniques required to master them need to be the freshest in mind upon sitting for the official LSAT administration?

Would appreciate any of your thoughts on this.

amorfati

Bronze

Re: Most effective preparation = leave Logic Games for last?

Post by amorfati » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

I took the test in October, and I would DEFINITELY recommend starting with logic games. I think the point is to get the basic strategy down early, and then practice it consistently up until the test. So even when you're studying LR/RC, you should still be doing LG.

Also, LG is the easiest section to improve on (with some work) -- whereas regardless of how much time you put into it, most people probably won't improve their RC much. So you might as well work on mastering the part you really can improve from the get-go, and not waste several weeks beating yourself up because you can only seem to bring your RC up by a couple points.

...but you should also be doing practice tests pretty consistently throughout your studies, so theoretically, you'll be regularly exposed to all of these areas.

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 pm

no. There are hundreds of logic games. do them all, multiple times until you can recite the setups/inferences in your dreams.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Logic games are actually easier to get a grasp on once you start studying (more concrete). They build confidence because of the rather quick gains. They also introduce a mindset that is advantageous to the rest of the sections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guinness

New

Post by guinness » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:28 pm

I waited to start any LG prep until a few weeks ago. Now I'm racing to get it all done before the December test. I've seen my biggest gains ever with these improvements, but wish I did them 'in the middle' of my studying.

I am of the mindset that doing every game ever made is the only way to really hit the section with complete confidence. I'll have the time to do just that before December, but just barely, and will be spending a few hours each night with them.

Summary: Study them now, perfect them, move on to LR. (I think RC is pointless to study, but thats another topic entirely...)

ComatoseClown

Bronze

Post by ComatoseClown » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:10 am

Thanks to every one of you so far.

The reason I don't want to even touch Logic Games until I'm finished mastering the LR section is because I don't want to have to learn an entirely new, uninspiring and toilsome skill set (i.e. "set-ups/diagrams") until I at least have a firm ground in the LR section (50% of test), which I find more enjoyable and thus whose early gains would be motivation for success on Logic Games later on. There's about six months left before the LSAT...I was just thinking to do it in the order LR, LG, then RC.

Does any one at least even understand the above viewpoint, or better yet feel the same way? I seriously enjoy LR questions way more than the idea of having to diagram arrangements/sequences/stuff like that...

Tainted_Praise

Bronze

Post by Tainted_Praise » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am

ComatoseClown wrote:Thanks to every one of you so far.

The reason I don't want to even touch Logic Games until I'm finished mastering the LR section is because I don't want to have to learn an entirely new, uninspiring and toilsome skill set (i.e. "set-ups/diagrams") until I at least have a firm ground in the LR section (50% of test), which I find more enjoyable and thus whose early gains would be motivation for success on Logic Games later on. There's about six months left before the LSAT...I was just thinking to do it in the order LR, LG, then RC.

Does any one at least even understand the above viewpoint, or better yet feel the same way? I seriously enjoy LR questions way more than the idea of having to diagram arrangements/sequences/stuff like that...
I definitely understand what you are saying. I thought it was best to concentrate on LR (I usually breeze through RC with time to spare), and just save LG for last. But.... I found out the hard way.. That this was not a good idea. I was not confident in this section in the October test and I was kicking myself for not putting in the practice for LG earlier. LG's have to become second nature to you. But I guarantee you, the more that you do. The easier that they become, and the less troublesome they become... These are actually my favorite to practice now. I find them to be.... Dare I say... Fun?

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:55 pm

ComatoseClown wrote:Thanks to every one of you so far.

Pretty much everyone on this site will agree that starting with LG is the way to go. I agree (I'm at an average of 169-172 atm, if it helps). If you don't believe it, you can try your own way and then figure out at the last moment what a mistake it was. LG really is the greatest improvement opportunity of any section though. It's the section more than any other where you could go form -10 to -0 in a month if you tried hard. But it does take time to solidify a certain level of performance. If I had started LG now I'd be screwed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Also, this is the only section with "games" in the title... that says something great right there! It's fun!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:07 pm

No. You need to do the LG over and over and over. It took a couple months for them to become automatic, and you need them to be automatic to prevent game day freakouts (what happened on my first LSAT).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”