handwriting - a determinative factor in writing samples? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MrAdams

New

handwriting - a determinative factor in writing samples?

Post by MrAdams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I am curious as to whether the quality of handwriting is a determinative factor of the evaluation of writing samples in the LSAT? My lower case handwriting is pretty bad so generally when I sit written tests I write in upper case in order to make sure whoever is reading my answer can in-fact read it. I have read some people say that schools appreciate this section comes after a gruelling test, but I note that others have said 'if you want hys, this section counts'.

Is it possible then, to write the writing sample in upper case? Also, is spelling a big deal? I was tested extensively for dyslexia when I was growing up; the doctors decided that I did not have dyslexia, just an improper pairing of brain and eye dominance.... so I cannot spell all that well, and I don't have an excuse for it :/.

InLikeFlint

Bronze

Re: handwriting - a determinative factor in writing samples?

Post by InLikeFlint » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:59 pm

MrAdams wrote:I am curious as to whether the quality of handwriting is a determinative factor of the evaluation of writing samples in the LSAT? My lower case handwriting is pretty bad so generally when I sit written tests I write in upper case in order to make sure whoever is reading my answer can in-fact read it. I have read some people say that schools appreciate this section comes after a gruelling test, but I note that others have said 'if you want hys, this section counts'.
Is it possible then, to write the writing sample in upper case? Also, is spelling a big deal? I was tested extensively for dyslexia when I was growing up; the doctors decided that I did not have dyslexia, just an improper pairing of brain and eye dominance.... so I cannot spell all that well, and I don't have an excuse for it :/.
LOL

ams

New

Post by ams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:17 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the writing sample. Many people can complete the writing sample in 15-20 minutes, so unless you need the full time for some reason, use the extra time to write slowly. Make a brief outline if you're afraid you'll lose your train of thought if you write slowly. This will help with your legibility and might help with your spelling. But really, don't stress about the writing sample.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Just when I thought I had seen almost everything, someone asks about handwriting being a determinative factor in an un-scored LSAT writing sample...

MrAdams

New

Post by MrAdams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:27 pm

It is an important test, and we have different writing etiquettes in the UK as far as I am aware. It is a simple assumption that the writing sample isn't entirely worthless - so I think I have a qualified reason to be concerned with whether handwriting will play an important part, and if it is the case that writing in all caps is a big no-no in American law schools, with whether I should practice my lower case writing before the sit so that people can understand what I have written.

I will thank, therefore, that you leave your pretentious comments at the door Patrick. Bawbag.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:32 pm

MrAdams wrote:It is an important test, and we have different writing etiquettes in the UK as far as I am aware. It is a simple wrong assumption that the writing sample isn't entirely worthless - so I think I have a qualified reason to be concerned with whether handwriting will play an important part, and if it is the case that writing in all caps is a big no-no in American law schools, with whether I should practice my lower case writing before the sit so that people can understand what I have written.

I will thank, therefore, that you leave your pretentious comments at the door Patrick. Bawbag.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:33 pm

I used the writing section as a way to tell some jokes the first time I took it. I'm going to take it a bit more serious during my retake just in case but I honestly doubt it'll make any difference in my application cycle.

I think most adcoms don't even bother to really read it.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:35 pm

MrAdams wrote:It is an important test, and we have different writing etiquettes in the UK as far as I am aware. It is a simple assumption that the writing sample isn't entirely worthless - so I think I have a qualified reason to be concerned with whether handwriting will play an important part, and if it is the case that writing in all caps is a big no-no in American law schools, with whether I should practice my lower case writing before the sit so that people can understand what I have written.

Well now that you put it that way.... I don't think it matters whether you write in all caps. I have goofy alternating lowercase/capital letter handwriting (For example, usually I'll write an "a" that is supposed to be lowercase in capitals but some random times in lowercase) and other than a few comments that is is peculiar to switch like I do I have never had anyone take issue with it. I highly doubt it matters at all especially since just making an attempt is all you need to do in the writing section.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:36 pm

I think they will take a look at your writing sample if your essays sound too polished ( and they think that you had someone else write them, or used a professional editing company).

as for writing in upper case- I did it, and I have no worries.

Just write like you normally do. If you write in cursive- then do cursive ( as long as its legible). If you write in caps- then do that. Dont stress out over it.

MrAdams

New

Post by MrAdams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Well now that you put it that way.... I don't think it matters whether you write in all caps. I have goofy alternating lowercase/capital letter handwriting (For example, usually I'll write an "a" that is supposed to be lowercase in capitals but some random times in lowercase) and other than a few comments that is is peculiar to switch like I do I have never had anyone take issue with it. I highly doubt it matters at all especially since just making an attempt is all you need to do in the writing section.
Thank you good sir.

(By the way guys, I am not stressing out over this at all. Seriously, I was just asking a question.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”