Best Beta Blockers - Propranolol?

niederbomb

Best Beta Blockers - Propranolol?

Postby niederbomb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:44 am

I've heard dancers and musicians use beta blockers to help with performance anxiety. I'm thinking they might be helpful for the December LSAT and, probably, for law school exams, too.

My theory is that fight-or-flight response can be a killer for LG, especially.

Any idea where I can order these online? Or what brands? I'm currently in a developing country, so ordering online or trying to find a specific brand on the market are my only options. I don't legally need a prescription even if I could get one.

I come from Irish ancestry, so relaxation in the absence of tons of whiskey is not usually an option. :lol:
Last edited by niederbomb on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Best Beta Blockers - Propranolol?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:52 am

It can help performance anxiety. It can also really screw you up if you take it without a doctor's supervision. If you do this, be really careful. The LSAT's not worth your health.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:03 am

Naturally, I'd try it out long before the LSAT.

I'm going to a hospital tomorrow to see if I can get a prescription for Propranolol. Is this the drug others on here have used, or is there a better one?

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:05 am

niederbomb wrote:Naturally, I'd try it out long before the LSAT.

Naturally.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:21 am

I didn't use it before the LSAT, but I did get a prescription for it before my LRW's oral advocacy final last year. I don't use it anymore, because practice has really alleviated my anxiety, but it was helpful to keep me from freaking out during oral argument.

Now, I warn you -- it made my brain a little fuzzy. I had no problem with speaking speed and I remained calm in the face of judge's questions, but I wasn't as quick on my feet as I usually am. It didn't really impact my performance in moot court, but one of the things the judges said I could improve on was my passion -- I was almost TOO calm, if that makes any sense.

Just based on my experiences (on the lowest dose -- 10 mg) I'd be hesitant to take it on a test. I'd be a little concerned that my brain wouldn't be quite as sharp -- I think a little anxiety can help keep you on your toes. Now, if your anxiety is crippling, then you might be willing to make that trade off. The prescription is really easy to get -- you just tell your doctor you have stage fright or performance anxiety, and you'd like some propranolol. I'd definitely get it from an actual doctor/pharmacy rather than off the internet. If you are going to use it, practice taking tests with it before you go in on game day -- it may affect you differently than it did me.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:32 am

Paichka wrote:

I'd definitely get it from an actual doctor/pharmacy rather than off the internet. If you are going to use it, practice taking tests with it before you go in on game day -- it may affect you differently than it did me.

Thank you so much for your post.

I'll try to get it through a doctor's prescription, but it may not be available. I'll just have to visit some local hospitals and give it a try. Beta Shou1ti3. lol

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:48 am

niederbomb wrote:
Paichka wrote:

I'd definitely get it from an actual doctor/pharmacy rather than off the internet. If you are going to use it, practice taking tests with it before you go in on game day -- it may affect you differently than it did me.

Thank you so much for your post.

I'll try to get it through a doctor's prescription, but it may not be available. I'll just have to visit some local hospitals and give it a try. Beta Shou1ti3. lol

They're good with drugs here, really. You should be able to get a legit scrip with no prob.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:50 am

They're good with drugs here, really. You should be able to get a legit scrip with no prob.

Good to know.

Have you been to pharmacies or hospitals? I've checked about 5 pharmacies with no luck. I speak the language ok, and they knew what it is; they just didn't have it.

EDIT: My friend warns me that sometimes the stuff they have over here is unregulated and excessively strong.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:31 am

niederbomb wrote:

Good to know.

Have you been to pharmacies or hospitals? I've checked about 5 pharmacies with no luck. I speak the language ok, and they knew what it is; they just didn't have it.

EDIT: My friend warns me that sometimes the stuff they have over here is unregulated and excessively strong.

I've been to both, and I've been ok. The cheap sketchy looking stores are what you have to avoid for the over strong stuff. The expensive chain pharmacies are legit. According to the Peace Corps doctors, at least. Zhirentong is a good pharmacy here.

ams

Postby ams » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Another option for dealing with test anxiety is progressive muscle relaxation and breathing exercises. You might feel silly listening to the recordings, but I highly recommend trying it out. It is physically impossible to panic if you are controlling your breathing. I would recommend the following sites:

http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... g%20II.mp3
http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cou ... xation.mp3

I am now a tutor for Fast Forward Law Prep, and in general, my students who use these methods do much better than those who don't try them out.
Last edited by ams on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Works very well, be VERY careful if you have asthma though (beta blockers lower adrenaline levels which in turn will restrict your airways)

EliLanning

Postby EliLanning » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Aderall s my weapon of choice :roll:

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:58 pm

EliLanning wrote:Aderall s my weapon of choice :roll:

Anyone who wants a beta blocker def. does not want to take a stimulant instead o-O

EliLanning

Postby EliLanning » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Teoeo wrote:

Anyone who wants a beta blocker def. does not want to take a stimulant instead o-O

Speed it up or slow it down.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 am

The doc gave me Metoprolol today...Has anyone used this before? They didn't have Propranolol. The biggest difference I can find is that Metaprolol only blocks Beta 1 whereas Propranolol blocks everything. No idea what the significance of that is...

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:01 am

Drams of whiskey.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 pm

/
Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 pm

I've heard, from people prescribed Adderall or Vyvanse, mixed things. Some say it helps maintain focus and achieve a higher score, some say it causes them to over-think the questions and make dumb errors. I guess you are in the first category?

Rollontheground

Postby Rollontheground » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Not advocating anything, but one 5mg Diazepam seems a bit safer, and probably more effective.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”