WTF is going on, I feel terrible

WTF is going on, I feel terrible

Postby paulshortys10 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:57 pm

Couple weeks ago I was averaging 163-164 on my PT's and I felt I was going to be in the high 160's by now putting me in a good spot for DEC. But i've scored 161-159 in my last 3-4 PT's and my RC is not getting any better, while my LR is becoming very inconsistent. I have 13 relevant Pt's left to do, and 20 days left. I plan on doing each of these.

My LG is solid

My RC-I keep missing more than 8, I felt I had improved last night on my last PT, but I got -10. I FEEL like i'm about to start doing good on it, but then i score shitty.

LR- so inconsistent. sometimes -3, -4......other times I fuck up at get -6, -8....

any advice? i feel like I'm not going to improve at all

BTW MOST of the PT's I've done have been Untimed or timed SECTION. I've only taken about 6 FULL TIMED Pt's. if that matters.

Re: WTF is going on, I feel terrible

Postby gdane » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Why are you still taking untimed practice tests? There is no reason for this. Take full timed tests.

What tests have you taken? It's very common for people to experience a slight drop from test 52 onwards. The reason is that LSAC changed things around a bit. They didnt introduce anything new, but they started asking more of certain questions and less of others. Also, the RC became a little more difficult. With a few weeks left before the Dec LSAT, you should be working with the latest LSAT's anyway.

If youre stuggling with LR as much as you are, consider going over your supplements again. The powerscore book is a good place to go.

What helped me the most was going over every single question I did. Right or wrong. I dissected every single question. I asked myself "Why was this right", " why did I pick the wrong answer", "why did I eliminate the right answer", etc etc. Going over your tests in detail is very important. Learn from your mistakes.

Good luck!

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:21 pm

You can get double duty from your PTs by doing the following. Take the PT under timed circumstances, marking the questions you are unsure of or guessed on. Then set aside your answer sheet. BEFORE checking the answers, go back through the test and re-examine the questions you were unsure of and the ones you didn't get to the first time around. If you change any answers, mark those on a separate answer sheet. Then you can finally use the key to check your answers. You will achieve three things. First, you get a diagnostic score to track your progress. Second, you get an opportunity to look re-examine the material at leisurely pace, allowing you to spot on your own the details you missed. Finally, you check your analysis against the test makers', and you assess the wrong answers one final time to figure out your misunderstanding.

Oh, and I still think you should consider my advice regarding the Affliction shirt. You just can't get pumped up unless you dress to IMPRESS.

Postby paulshortys10 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:52 pm

lol what are u talking about? are you from sherdog?

Postby aesis » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:39 am

Based on your range you still need to work on the theory. It's not fully internalized. Pacing/timing could be an issue. Are you finishing on time?

I would seriously consider drilling by type, and that would require you looking and thoroughly reviewing your mistakes and noting which question stems you are having trouble with.

With RC, you might need to change up your strategy if you're not doing too hot. -8 is unacceptable. If you haven't already consulted Voyager's thread, do so now. That's probably the best start. Or the Manhattan/Atlas RC guide. RC you can get away with missing a few ONLY if your LR is up to par. The key to a high score is LR and LG, always, but if you're not getting your score above -8 then that is a big problem.

I would focus on RC and do as many possible sections as you can. SECTIONS, not just passages. Do them timed. Then after time is called, check your answers before you score it. Note which questions you changed your answers to. Then score. See where you are from there.

REVIEW is key. If you're not already writing out/typing out exactly WHY you got something wrong, you need to do that ASAP. Since you're making a lot of mistakes this will take a long time, but you need to do it.

Postby geminivegitarian » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:33 am

Hey PaulShortys10

Thanks for posting. I actually feel the exact same way. Scoring wise, I'm more or less where you are. I was nailing RC for the past couple months. LR was also improving and LG was pretty solid with -0, or -2 on a bad day. However, I seriously blew a fuse out or something in recent days. I have been consistently missing at least 8 on RC and LR has been REALLY inconsistent on my full-length PTs. I don't know what it is. I tried taking a couple days off to relax before starting up again but that didn't help much. I almost broke down today when I missed almost half on an RC section. I worked soo hard to improve too.

Maybe we're burned out? I don't know. But if you find out, lemme know.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”