When should one stop studying?

guinness

When should one stop studying?

Postby guinness » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm doing my absolute best right now. I've got a handle on most types of LG and am scoring around -2/3 on LR and -2 on RC. I am studying 2-3 hours on weekday nights, and about 7 one weekend days. I'm bringing it hard and somehow am not burning out.

My question is, how long should before the Dec 11 test should I say "STOP" and put away all my LSAT materials? I assume I will perform a bit better with a few days of mental rest prior to the exam, but I don't want to test that now (since I'm getting better each day).

Thoughts?

Kabuo

Re: When should one stop studying?

Postby Kabuo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 pm

I was studying slightly less than you for the Oct exam and I decided to take it waaaay back 1 week before the exam. The saturday before the exam I took PT 58 and got my lowest PT score ever (163). I took that as a sign of burnout, stayed away from all things LSAT until the Thursday before the exam. Got my first PT 180 on that one (PT 59), and took it as a sign that the break was just what I needed.

I hated it at the time. I couldn't stop dreaming about LSAT things. I just had to make myself not look at any books, and after the break, I had all the confidence in the world. It didn't all carry over to the real thing (mini meltdown on the last LG), but it worked out at my PT average. So, I guess what I'm saying is, I think it's a good idea to at the very least bring the intensity way down for the last week, if not all the way down. It doesn't hurt as much as it seems like it would, and anecdotally at least, it seems to have helped the majority of TLSers.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Wow you're quite lucky not to be feeling the burnout. I'm retaking this time around and feel the burnout is more prevalent but at the same time I feel I can control it better this time.

I took only one day off prior to the test and I feel like it helped clear my mind at the very least. I think this time around I'm shooting for 1-3 days... I'm not ballsy enough to take the whole week off :lol:

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Some people have greater mental endurance than others because they constantly exhaust it.

Your body will adapt - look at hardcore army squads.

Keep fighting the good fight soldiers.

guinness

Postby guinness » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Kabuo wrote:I hated it at the time. I couldn't stop dreaming about LSAT things.

This is so true! I wake up every morning and realize that I have been dreaming about the LSAT. I tell people when they are making strawmen arguments, I read signs and put the contrapositive on them, etc. etc.

Part of me really enjoys the process, my weeks are almost 100% LG (2-3 hours of studying. I want to do every LG ever.) and my weekends are PT's and LR. I'm thinking of toning it down a little the last week, and then completely stepping away for 2 days before the exam...hopefully this is reasonable.

ams

Postby ams » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

How many strictly-timed PTs have you taken and have you noticed any patterns? The conventional wisdom is that it is best to take a few days off before the LSAT, but I found out that didn't work best for me. I found that my PT scores dropped off if it had been several days since I took a PT. I took a couple days off about 3 weeks before the LSAT, and then the last 2-3 weeks before the LSAT I tried not to skip more than 2 days between PTs (and I did timed sections the days I didn't do PTs). The week before the Saturday test in October 2010 I took at PT on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. and then just did one section of each type on Friday.

If you find that your PT score drops off if it has been several days since you have taken a test, I would avoid taking an entire week off. This may or may not be the way to go for you. But I found that following the conventional wisdom didn't always work for me, so I suggest doing whatever feels best for you. Everyone is different, so just because something works for most people, it doesn't mean it will work for you. I learned to just do what feels right for me, and it really paid off.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:20 pm

I would stick to your routine, but slow it down a bit the week leading up to the test. Dont do a full length prep test the day before, but if you are used to doing something lsat related every day, dont completely stop. Make sure to get as much sleep as possible the week of the test, and try to minimize your stress/ anxiety levels. As long as you do something for each section, you should be fine

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:28 pm

I relaxed the day before the exam and am happy that I did. Chill out, take in a movie/video game, and don't drink ANY caffeine. Eat a big dinner and pack your baggy the night before. A glass of wine might not be a bad idea either.

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I never stopped studying.
I wouldnt change anything you do.

guinness

Postby guinness » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Yeah I do something LSAT related every day, and a PT (strictly timed w/ Experimental) x2 a week. I'm thinking of just keeping that up. Mostly on the days I am not doing PTs I am studying LG grouped by type (around 8-10 games a day) and then do a section or two of review of the LRB and some practice problems.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:14 pm

confidnece is key for this beast. Whatever you do, make sure that the last few days before the test you are doing everything to keep your confidence up. If that means breaking the last prep test into timed section work ( and counting it as a test regardless) then do that. You want to walk into the test confident that you are going to score at the high end of your prep test spectrum, or even higher.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I think confidence is HUGE on this test...Keep studying. I wouldn't lay off until around December 8th or 9th.

I wish you the best of luck :lol:

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm planning on doing three sections of PT61 on Dec 10, a few hours after my last final.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”