Reusing old PTs- preparing for retake!

CurlyKat

Reusing old PTs- preparing for retake!

Postby CurlyKat » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Hey, I am retaking and I have some questions about reusing PTs I have already done. How much can I rely on the scores I get from them?? Obviously I know that I can't take the scores literally but it would be nice to think I improved at least a little. I took the PTs before October, if not the whole test, I did at least two sections. I only have a few of those VERY old exams and then new ones that I already took and reviewed.. I get better scores now than before October, but I don't know if I am genuinely making progress or if my scores have increased because I'm familiar with some questions and the passages and games.. AND in case of the old tests, I find the questions and passages easier than the new ones..
For those of you who have been in my situation- what is your experience? Thanks

kkklick

Re: Reusing old PTs- preparing for retake!

Postby kkklick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:46 pm

I have improved remarkably as well, using PT's I've already done however. I would say you can't accurately guage if there is an improvement unless you test yourself on fresh material. I have about 3 tests from the 40's I've never done before, so I will be using those to really see if there is an improvement. I found that questions I've gotten wrong in the past I remember, not the answer, but I remember I got it wrong. All it really does is make me focus extra hard on the question to get the right answer. But I am taking my scores with a grain of salt, as should you.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 pm

when I retake old PTs I remember that I got it wrong or something and find myself eliminating answer choices because I feel like its a trap. Messes with my head.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Sandro777 wrote:when I retake old PTs I remember that I got it wrong or something and find myself eliminating answer choices because I feel like its a trap. Messes with my head.

Yup, definately happens to me as well, when I come to the answer I think it is, I start thinking crap, this is probably the trap AC I fell for last time.

almostthereee

Postby almostthereee » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Yah I think definitely take it with a grain of salt.

I retook PT 50 and I roughly remembered the gist of 1 of the RC passages. It helped with saving a few seconds on comprehension of what I'm reading I think, though I didn't remember any of the questions.

The LR I would remember the questions I got wrong as well. Effects with me were similar, I just remember that theres SOMETHING about THIS question... so I spend a little bit more time on it looking it over.

LG was the one section where I remembered almost everything. Sometimes it's hard to forget inferences on specific games.

Scored 8-10 points higher than I normally do. Also scored like 3-4 points higher than I normally did on a really old PT that I never did (PT 10?) so I don't know if it's just the retake or me getting better (hopefully)... or a combo of both.

I'm counting on PTs I've never done before to really gauge my score a bit better but I retake the new ones just to get used to the newer style of the LSAT which is drastically different (IMO) than the older ones.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”