how can i crush RC?

agora139

how can i crush RC?

Postby agora139 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:13 pm

i'm always -3 or so on RC. if i can get 24 questions right, i can get 27 right...so how can i whittle this down? any advice?

swiftwings88

Re: how can i crush RC?

Postby swiftwings88 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm

If you are only -3 most of the time then there is nothing mechanically wrong with you. That makes the last 3 a focus problem. The best way to max your score in this section for you at this point is to practice the crap out of it. Lots of practice RC sections. Make sure you get sleep beforehand and pay attention the whole time. RC can be a drag but those are my thoughts. Sorry no quick fix :(

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

agora139 wrote:i'm always -3 or so on RC. if i can get 24 questions right, i can get 27 right...so how can i whittle this down? any advice?

When you are at that level, you may be able to go the extra step and train yourself to looking at an RC problem like an LG problem, in the sense that, you CAN prove every answer.

As simple as it is, you have to remember, every answer is right there on the page. Have you ever gotten a wrong answer and looked back and then not been able to find it on the page? They are all there, and you can prove them all if your indexing is good and you're reading actively. If time's not a big issue for you, don't select an answer unless you feel like you can prove it 100% like an LG problem. Go back to basics maybe and take a couple untimed RC sections to see if having that slight extra time allows you extra accuracy, paying extra detail to making sure everything is proven, then realize what you did differently, and try to turn those things you did differently into a process that you can do a little faster. I mean, that's how you get used to any new techniques right?

I'm about where you are, -2 on average. I wasn't able to really look at RC like that until I reached the -3 AVG threshold (last week), then it kind of hit me, and I've been slowly crawling forward.

fosterp

Postby fosterp » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:51 am

trying to prove an answer 100% is exactly why I run into time problems.

Better to prove the other answers wrong.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:00 am

fosterp wrote:trying to prove an answer 100% is exactly why I run into time problems.

Better to prove the other answers wrong.

+1

The "best" answer is not always a particularly "good" answer. I mean, I usually agree with the credited responses, but there have been a few over the years that I think, "That's only correct because the others are completely off base."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”