When should I begin studying for the LSAT....

MGH1989

When should I begin studying for the LSAT....

Postby MGH1989 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm starting TestMasters in April, how long before that should I start studying myself?

JazzOne

Re: When should I begin studying for the LSAT....

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:44 pm

MGH1989 wrote:I'm starting TestMasters in April, how long before that should I start studying myself?

You're going to study yourself?

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:46 pm

JazzOne wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:I'm starting TestMasters in April, how long before that should I start studying myself?

I see what u did there, its hard to study perfection though.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:49 pm

MGH1989 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

lol

In that case, why take the LSAT? Go be a model, Zoolander!
Last edited by JazzOne on Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:50 pm

OK, since I derailed your thread, I'll say something helpful. Have you met the instructor for the course? Do you have a favorable impression of his/her ability to help you improve your score? If the answer to either of those questions is no, you might want to rethink the course. You can probably still get our money back.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:01 pm

JazzOne wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

lol

In that case, why take the LSAT? Go be a model, Zoolander!

lol, actually I'm planning on that, but I want to make sure I have blue steel down pat before I make the leap.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:02 pm

MGH1989 wrote:lol, actually I'm planning on that, but I want to make sure I have blue steel down pat before I make the leap.

Since you're planning to study yourself, I assume you can derelick your own balls?

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:05 pm

JazzOne wrote:OK, since I derailed your thread, I'll say something helpful. Have you met the instructor for the course? Do you have a favorable impression of his/her ability to help you improve your score? If the answer to either of those questions is no, you might want to rethink the course. You can probably still get our money back.

Yea, I met her through my Pre Law Society, and I got a taste of her teaching style and methods there, she seemed to explain things well. I didn't have any problems with her and she seemed nice. However, I haven't paid for the class yet, so I can always not do it.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:08 pm

JazzOne wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:lol, actually I'm planning on that, but I want to make sure I have blue steel down pat before I make the leap.

Since you're planning to study yourself, I assume you can derelick your own balls?

hahaha.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:09 pm

MGH1989 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:OK, since I derailed your thread, I'll say something helpful. Have you met the instructor for the course? Do you have a favorable impression of his/her ability to help you improve your score? If the answer to either of those questions is no, you might want to rethink the course. You can probably still get our money back.

Yea, I met her through my Pre Law Society, and I got a taste of her teaching style and methods there, she seemed to explain things well. I didn't have any problems with her and she seemed nice. However, I haven't paid for the class yet, so I can always not do it.

I have mixed feelings about classes. I think they're too expensive and often geared toward middle scorers. If you're shooting for a 170+, the pace of the class can be a bit frustrating.

I think there is a lot of be said for the following combination: (1) A lot of research on TLS, (2) a lot of self-studying, and (3) a tutor for specific issues that arise.

Then again, if you're just starting out and you have no exposure to the LSAT, a course could be a good thing, especially if you're loaded and the money doesn't matter.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Have you taken a diag or anything yet? Didn't use any courses myself, but a lot of people on here have said that it doesn't really help you get past the mid-160s (and out of everyone I personally know taking the LSAT, most of them have done a course and have not gotten even that far [maybe I just have lots of dumb friends though]). I'm PT'ing at 167/8 right now, hopefully gonna get to 169 over the last 5 PTs I have left for December. Been studying since a little before August (probably totaling 85 hrs or so). I just went through the LR and LR Bibles, and the RC section in Nova's Master (not very helpful), and did/going to do PTs 29-61 (if I could have done it over again, I would have started with 18 [Ten More]). I don't think there'd be much disagreement that the two most important things to do to study for the LSAT is simply practice (doing PTs) and review. But you definitely want at least LG bible, and the LR bible is fairly helpful too.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Powerscore Bibles are EXTREMELY helpful!

ams

Postby ams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:18 pm

I'm also skeptical about classes. I took a PowerScore class and the passive learning style did not work for me. I think self-study combined with individual tutoring is the way to go. Personalized tutoring is more effective (and cost-effective). You don't waste time by listening to the teacher explain questions you already understand, and you can have all your questions answered. Also, it's pretty easy to space out in a large group setting.

If you go the self-study route (with or without tutoring), I would give yourself at least 3 months to study (more if you won't be able to study several hours per day on most days). There are study schedules on TLS that are good. If you want to start doing something now, you might want to start reading in preparation for RC. If you already read the New York Times or something daily, you're probably in good shape. Otherwise, start reading the NYT, Economist, Scientific American, etc. This is the best advice I've heard to prepare for RC, aside from just drilling section further down the road.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Buy the PS bibles and see if you can score in the 160s. If you can, forget testmasters.

omninode

Postby omninode » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Among people I know who have taken the LSAT (including myself of course) there is no evidence that taking a class will improve your score. I studied on my own with Powerscore books and preptests and got a 168, while my friend who invested a lot of time and money in a class got a 154.

I'm going to assume you are a fairly motivated and capable person simply because you found this forum and are thinking about the LSAT so far ahead. For a person like you, I think these classes can have the negative effects of: a) lowering your expectations of yourself by grouping you with people who are less motivated and/or less competent, and b) forcing you to study a certain way that may not be suited to your unique strengths and weaknesses.

My advice would be to take a diagnostic test (timed, in realistic conditions, etc.) and see if you are starting from a good place and can identify one or two areas of the test you need to work on the most. If so, consider getting a couple of books and studying by yourself. If not, you may benefit from a class.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:05 pm

+1

ams wrote:I'm also skeptical about classes. I took a PowerScore class and the passive learning style did not work for me. I think self-study combined with individual tutoring is the way to go. Personalized tutoring is more effective (and cost-effective). You don't waste time by listening to the teacher explain questions you already understand, and you can have all your questions answered. Also, it's pretty easy to space out in a large group setting.

If you go the self-study route (with or without tutoring), I would give yourself at least 3 months to study (more if you won't be able to study several hours per day on most days). There are study schedules on TLS that are good. If you want to start doing something now, you might want to start reading in preparation for RC. If you already read the New York Times or something daily, you're probably in good shape. Otherwise, start reading the NYT, Economist, Scientific American, etc. This is the best advice I've heard to prepare for RC, aside from just drilling section further down the road.

logicalprep

Postby logicalprep » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 pm

omninode wrote:Among people I know who have taken the LSAT (including myself of course) there is no evidence that taking a class will improve your score. I studied on my own with Powerscore books and preptests and got a 168, while my friend who invested a lot of time and money in a class got a 154.

I'm going to assume you are a fairly motivated and capable person simply because you found this forum and are thinking about the LSAT so far ahead. For a person like you, I think these classes can have the negative effects of: a) lowering your expectations of yourself by grouping you with people who are less motivated and/or less competent, and b) forcing you to study a certain way that may not be suited to your unique strengths and weaknesses.

My advice would be to take a diagnostic test (timed, in realistic conditions, etc.) and see if you are starting from a good place and can identify one or two areas of the test you need to work on the most. If so, consider getting a couple of books and studying by yourself. If not, you may benefit from a class.

Tee hee hee

clearly, this guy's course forgot to teach him causal flaws thoroughly.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 am

Appreciate the advice everyone, sounds like self study is the way to go from everything I have read in this thread as well as the many others on the forum.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”