Help with understanding something in LGB?

lsatextreme

Help with understanding something in LGB?

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm

On pg 111-112 (about "hurdling the uncertainty"), there's examples in here that I don't quite seem to understand how they're explaining it. Specifically, I'm talking about the example where they're talking about 4 variables (A, B, C, D) available to fill 3 spaces, and I can't seem to understand how they assume that A, B, C can fill only two of the spaces? Is this assumed? Because I'm trying to see how you can conclude that D MUST fill the remaining space. Because according to those rules, you can hypothetically have A, B, C all on separate spaces and D is the floater that can be on any of the spaces?

Also, the last example on pg 112 with 5 variables (A,B,C,D,E) to fill 3 spaces, I don't understand how you can figure out that E must fill the remaining space from the knowledge that A and B can only fill one space and C and D can only fill one space.

TIA

lsatextreme

Re: Help with understanding something in LGB?

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:31 pm

actually shit if you run through all the hypotheticals for each of these examples, their explanation makes sense but I still don't understand how they figured it out.

There's a disconnect for me between the example and how they state that "In this scenario, A, B, and C can "fill" only two of the spaces..."

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 pm

lsatextreme wrote:On pg 111-112 (about "hurdling the uncertainty"), there's examples in here that I don't quite seem to understand how they're explaining it. Specifically, I'm talking about the example where they're talking about 4 variables (A, B, C, D) available to fill 3 spaces, and I can't seem to understand how they assume that A, B, C can fill only two of the spaces? Is this assumed? Because I'm trying to see how you can conclude that D MUST fill the remaining space. Because according to those rules, you can hypothetically have A, B, C all on separate spaces and D is the floater that can be on any of the spaces?

Also, the last example on pg 112 with 5 variables (A,B,C,D,E) to fill 3 spaces, I don't understand how you can figure out that E must fill the remaining space from the knowledge that A and B can only fill one space and C and D can only fill one space.

TIA

I'm not going to touch your first question, but the second one is simple. If A and B can only fill one space, then either A fills the space or B does, but the other has to be out. The exact same logic applies to C and D. So we have either A or B (but not both) in one space, C or D (but not both) in the second space, and the only element left for the third space is E.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36 pm

I can understand up to the point where it's A/B on one space, and C/D on the second space, but i'm still having trouble deducing that E has to be on the third space because I keep thinking about how if A/B/C/D were distributed across the three spaces in a hypothetical, then E can be anywhere.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 pm

i mean i see how every single hypothetical will come out to being perfectly explained by how they're explaining it, but I want to understand it so I can make that diagram if that question was on my test instead of having to run through hypotheticals and then figuring out that was the diagram that would have summed up everything.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:41 pm

lsatextreme wrote:I can understand up to the point where it's A/B on one space, and C/D on the second space, but i'm still having trouble deducing that E has to be on the third space because I keep thinking about how if A/B/C/D were distributed across the three spaces in a hypothetical, then E can be anywhere.

I don't own the Bibles, so I'm taking a guess here. But I think when they say "third" space, they just mean "the last one"/"the one not occupied by A, B, C, or D." I don' think they're talking about the "third" space in the order. I could be wrong. It seems to me like they're just generalizing about the distribution possibilities. I teach my students to do that before they jump into the questions.

However, I'm interpreting a second-hand account of the example, so I could be completely wrong. Someone else feel free to correct me.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:42 pm

nvm i'm literally walking myself through this question. I was assuming that there can be more than one variable in each space? I was confused because the previous example showed more than one variable in a space.

sorry this was too easy

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:44 pm

thanks for the help jazz

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”